Just In

Semi Nurainen

Is that not a wee bit hypocritical (probably not from you personally)? It wasn't that long ago people were saying his constant praising of the fans was 'bullsh!tting'!

For what it's worth, I think he's right...the loudest noises on Saturday were fans moaning and getting on players backs (except for the cheering of the goals, and the Gypo fans).

Gypo fans did well, considering they were chasing the game for much of the time.

I'd still rather be a Jag though.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth, I think he's right...

To criticise the home fans when it's clear to everyone who's ever been to a football match that it's usually the away crowd that bring the atmosphere? He shouldn't have said anything at all.

Buchanan was a lot more diplomatic when saying he expected the noise to pick up when the league campaign gets underway, but was only pushed to comment on the noise levels due to McCall's comments.

For what it's worth, I don't remember anyone sticking the boot into Ian for his praise of the fans, rather his praise of the team when it was clear to the fans they'd had a stinker.

To criticise the home fans when it's clear to everyone who's ever been to a football match that it's usually the away crowd that bring the atmosphere? He shouldn't have said anything at all.

Buchanan was a lot more diplomatic when saying he expected the noise to pick up when the league campaign gets underway, but was only pushed to comment on the noise levels due to McCall's comments.

For what it's worth, I don't remember anyone sticking the boot into Ian for his praise of the fans, rather his praise of the team when it was clear to the fans they'd had a stinker.

I do :thumbsup2: . Your first sentence might be true, doesn't make McCall wrong tho.

Why? Is he not allowed to get a bit frustrated with the fans? People making a fuss out of nothing imo!

Right, so you think having a pop at a dwindling core of fans isn't a PR gaffe?

You're right about people making a fuss out of nothing. In this case it's McCall who's the guilty party.

You're right about people making a fuss out of nothing. In this case it's McCall who's the guilty party.

:lol: and fans slating him and his team is ok yet he needs to keep it shut when he feels let down. Instead of getting all upset about it, why not see it as the challenge it is? We think the team must do better (I doubt McCall would disgree with that), McCall thinks the fans could do better, do you disagree with him?

I don't think having a go at fans who bothered to turn up is exactly a diplomatic success but I suppose what he did say was correct. I'm not that thick skinned but his comments didn't bother me one iota. The Clyde fans were unusually vocal and well supported otherwise he may have said nothing.

Just as an aside from where I was seated it looked like only a small percentage of their fans were sporting Clyde tops. May be wrong but I thought it looked a bit strange.

Am i missing something here. I believe he said it was more like a home game for Clyde. What's wrong with that ? It was very quiet on Saturday. Only thing i could hear in the kids zone was the 3 swines blowing those vuvuzelas !! Clyde fans were far more up for the game than our fans were.

I think He's every right to comment on that.......As Steven says he's given the fans plenty of praise in his time, and watching him yesterday he had plenty of enthusiasm.

Tell you if i got half of the crap he receives from our fans (since mainly January of this year) I'd start to give a little back. We can't have it all our own way, no matter how much some want that !

I don't think having a go at fans who bothered to turn up is exactly a diplomatic success

Correct. There are divisions throughout the Thistle legions. It exists betweens fans and other fans, fans and the board, the board and the manager (if some comments are to be believed). The last thing we need is a rift between the support an the manager, too.

The reasons behind the vociferous (I'm guessing it must've been) Clyde support are clear. They're a bottom of the rung side with an unhealthy obsessions with us. We were still wiping the sleep from our eyes.

I'm sure we'll be loud enough to merit the manager's praise come Saturday, a trip I see many people are mobilising themselves for. Same as we did for St. Andrews and Dumbarton.

I don't think having a go at fans who bothered to turn up is exactly a diplomatic success but I suppose what he did say was correct. I'm not that thick skinned but his comments didn't bother me one iota. The Clyde fans were unusually vocal and well supported otherwise he may have said nothing.

Just as an aside from where I was seated it looked like only a small percentage of their fans were sporting Clyde tops. May be wrong but I thought it looked a bit strange.

Yeah there were very few Clyde fans in their team colours. Don't think they sang any song the entire match that didn't include the words "hate" and "partick thistle" LOL. Don't think ive ever witnessed a support that spends more time hating us than indeed supporting their own team !!

One thing that did annoy me was sunday Mail report. Made reference to "abuse" we gave strachan but no mention of the abuse Halliwell took, which was far worse than we dished out. As far as im aware Bryn has never head butted his girlfriend in Buchanan bus station.....that we ned strachan deserved far worse than he got on Saturday.

A Challenge Cup game against third division nobodies not to mention a first half when we were outplayed by said third division nobodies. Hardly going to make the fans go wild now is it?

Compare that to Clyde who are playing what is likely to be their 'biggest' game of the season from their fans point of view and its hardly surprising they were up for it, especially when their team were giving us a run for our money in the first 45 minutes. Not to mention their somewhat illogical hatred for all things Partick Thistle which I do find rather amusing.

I don't care what McCall thinks about how the home fans backed the team on Saturday, he should spend more time analysing how we failed to put third division part time diddies to the sword.

The comments seemed pretty innocuous to me. Life's way too short to give them a second thought, imvho. In fact, I feel I've wasted 15 seconds of my life bothering to post this. I'm off to do something extremely meaningful to compensate ...

I'd probably have taken that view, too, had McCall not told the journalists to make sure they included it in their copy. He obviously thought it worth dwelling on.

One thing that did annoy me was sunday Mail report. Made reference to "abuse" we gave strachan but no mention of the abuse Halliwell took, which was far worse than we dished out. As far as im aware Bryn has never head butted his girlfriend in Buchanan bus station.....that we ned strachan deserved far worse than he got on Saturday.

This.

I don't care what McCall thinks about how the home fans backed the team on Saturday, he should spend more time analysing how we failed to put third division part time diddies to the sword.

and this :thumbsup2:

I'd probably have taken that view, too, had McCall not told the journalists to make sure they included it in their copy. He obviously thought it worth dwelling on.

Did he? You know more about it than I do. Still can't get overly excited about it. I can't even work out if it's intended to be a comment on the Clyde players, the Clyde fans, the Thistle fans or just a throw away line to boost the confidence of his younger players. Not going to lose any sleep over it either way.

Tuffey used to regularly get slated on here for going out of this way to clap the fans (too much, apparently) and the rest of the team would then get slated for not clapping the fans enough. Talking about or clapping the fans seems to be a lose/lose situation for Thistle players and managers - maybe it would be better if they didn't say anything. But then I suppose they would be criticised for saying nothing. C'est la vie.

Pardon? I'm not the manager of Partick Thistle and I don't have a duty to bite my tongue when the situation requires it.

As Steven said you would have been the first to complain if McCall had been praising the fans ie calling him a sook or whatever.

Its funny how in pretty much all your posts your rude, arrogant and genuiunely quite arrogant yet the moment the Manager says a couple of stupid remarks your on here like a big crybaby.

As Steven said you would have been the first to complain if McCall had been praising the fans ie calling him a sook or whatever.

Its funny how in pretty much all your posts your rude, arrogant and genuiunely quite arrogant yet the moment the Manager says a couple of stupid remarks your on here like a big crybaby.

"arrogant and genuiunely quite arrogant" - hahahha