Just In

Semi Nurainen

Not the metereological sort though. Good result, frightening performance at times. Bombscare Willie and Hodge can go anytime. Good to see Mcb , sorry I mean 'the Scottish Player' getting a goal.

Some strange refereeing decisions.

Need to improve vastly for the opening league game.

Edited by Semi Nurainen

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinniburgh is just a horror to watch. Every kick of his is an aimless sclaff and if he's bad on the ball he's worse off it, the way he clattered into the Clyde player for their free-kick was just stupid.

Brian Backwards spends more time facing his own goal than the opposition's. He is so tediously slow to get moving at the best of times.

A complete liability.

Doolan was also quite poor, 2 or 3 decent chances and he missed them all. Apart from that, bullied off the ball like a leaf from a branch.

Positives:

MacBeth looks promising. Now that he has his first goal hopefully he will look for a sensible pass instead of a shot at glory. Good performance though.

Halliwell is not Hinchcliffe, which is good, and he looked safe enough. Kicks were poor though.

Simon Donnelly was once again man of the match. Sublime touches from Sid and his level of intelligence far exceeds that of a 1st division player.

Also what about Bryan Hodge's first touch going out for a throw in, only a man of his talent could do that.

Edited by MWM

Thought we treated this game like another pre-season friendly for a lot of this game, never really exerting ourselves and being far to stringent with our movement of the ball.

The opener was a comedy of errors, Hutchison was a bit nervy in the opening exchanges and was rounded by Buchanan who then managed to scuff the shot into the open goal and nearly miss. Clyde's equaliser was a really good strike from Strachan, always thought despite his off the field transgressions that he stil had a bit of his ability about him. Although questions will have to be asked about the defending, Willie Kinniburgh again caught the wrong side of his man.

The game was very much controlled by Clyde in the middle of the park and them really stopping us from doing anything though Halliwell was also largely untested.

Our winner was a deflected strike from Ryan MacBeth, and we could have added more, the introduction of Grehan for Liam really gave us the impetus to drive on and get a very laboured win

I would like to make special mention to Paddy Boyle whose determination to get the ball led to the second and winning goal.

He's come in for some stick on here but credit where credit is due.

McBeth for me was the MoM. Hodge was disappointing, but at no time was I scared of losing the match.

How funny to watch Adam's ned strops when he lost the ball time and again. Hope his wife is staying at her sister's tonight!

first half we were a disgrace, second half slightly better but not by much.we deserved to win and good to see young macbetha getting a goal.

halliwell looked comfortable, boyle and hodge are 2 of the worst players I've ever seen in a thistle shirt, boyle is a total joke of a player, what possesses mccall to give him a game, he is a total dumpling and him and hodge on the left cause so much problems for us. they can both go anytime. there wasnt really any stand outs from the team to pick a 'man of the match', rowson worked well as always so thats probably why he got it.doolan was annonymous, cant see him doing much this year, big grehan should be starting with liam as he played well when he came on.burns came on late on and looked sharp.

decent result to start the season with, bring on annan next week. their number 8 looked no bad, strong on the ball and direct.

Poor show by Thistle despite the result. Kinniburgh didn't look at the races, but I did wonder how injured he was after McCusker's 'treatment' of him - he was certainly favouring his arm after that. Hodge was a liability - perhaps even more than Kinniburgh. Given how good he looked in the first couple of games last season, his decline has been astounding.

Thought Paton looked good today though, and Boyle looked far more comfortable than last season. MacBeth performed well, and Burns showed promise when he appeared.

Dramatic improvement needed by the time the League fixtures start though - if we look that ropey against Third Division opposition, we're in deep trouble when we face decent First Division teams.

I thought Kinniburgh was actually okay. Put in some good tackles, but same story as 2 seasons ago that he's prone to 1 bombscare a game.

Boyle put in an okay shift, Paton looked good early on when he didn't muck about with the ball (one touch to stop and then just whip in a cross quickly. Rowson did well as did Macbeth, Buchanan looked a bit more spritely than on Tuesday (but his goal was hilariously bad), Doolan was a bit quiet, Sid had a mixed game, occasionally drifting out of it a wee bit (not through much fault of his own). Hodge needs to put in the hours on the treadmill.

Good strike from Strachan for the Clyde goal but the wall was set up pretty shoddily.

Clyde were a better side than I thought they were going to be. They'll do well in the 3rd this season.

Onwards and upwards.

We won thats all that matters. Wasnt the best performance but over the 90 mins we deserved it. Strachans free kick was a peach. Clyde brought a good support and thank goodness i only heard 1 vuvuzela ( intermittantly)

I think some people only go to the match to moan at certain players--at one point in the 1st half Boyle showed the clyde winger to the outside, which is where he went, Boyle tracked the run and timed his challenge well to put the ball out for a throw--imo it was good defending. Some of the people around me were calling Boyle for everything for showing the guy inside and not diving stupidly into a tackle :wall:

Edited by Jaggyman

I also thought Kinniburgh was good.won most in the air and put in some good tackles.was unlucky to be booked

We were good for 20 mins then they had the next 25.Second half we controlled it for long periods.

If we get the 3 players i heard today we should be ok.

After the game the jobby wasnt happy in the entrance of the aitken suite he claimed his team were brill considering it seemed like a home game for Clyde as the thistle fans were crap.

I also thought Kinniburgh was good.won most in the air and put in some good tackles.was unlucky to be booked

We were good for 20 mins then they had the next 25.Second half we controlled it for long periods.

Agree with all, except I think Willie deserved his booking.

He let the guy get goalside then tugged the jersey hard.

If we get the 3 players i heard today we should be ok.

After the game the jobby wasnt happy in the entrance of the aitken suite he claimed his team were brill considering it seemed like a home game for Clyde as the thistle fans were crap.

I think if we sign Flannigan then that will be all the additional signings we make, we may operate on a "one out one in" policy but I just don't see the squad size increasing too much.

I think if we sign Flannigan then that will be all the additional signings we make, we may operate on a "one out one in" policy but I just don't see the squad size increasing too much.

2 loan signings to come in plus Flannigan

Edited by rodge

It was a win, a tough one but a wim all the same. Played better than Tuesday with Rowson and Robbo being thier usual solid self. I agree with the previous poster about it having a bit of a pre-season feel to it.

Now, Boyle and Kinniburgh...what was the problem with them today? Kinniburgh had his bombscare moment and the wife-beater toe-poked the freekick home (but Bryn left enough space in that side Id have scored that free-kick). I thought both had ok games tho.

The only person Id criticise today is Hodge...he's too slow and too weak in the tackle, what have he (and Paton for that matter) been doin in pre-season to adapt their games?

• Members

I thought we looked desperately short in the middle of the park today. Sid gives the ball away more often than not in that position. Hodge had an absolute nightmare of a first half but improved a little in the second. McBeth and Rowson were both fine though. Bannigan again showed lots of determination and a couple of good passes one of which Sid have at least hit the target instead of a fresh air shot.

Great ball from Kinninburgh out to Boyle in the lead up to the winner as well. Other than giving away the free kick, I thought he did ok as well.

Kinninburgh was a total bombscare, if he continues this way he'll cost us quite a few goals and points not to mention the amount of suspensions he'll get. He does alot right but then has these madmoments that ruin his whole performance, boyle was poor and gets caught on the ball to often with his indecission, buchanan looked good but was very lucky with the goal after doing the hard work then nearly missed with his scuff. Keiran Burns looked very good again when he came on and if he develops he'll be a great player for us. We need to stop the sideways and rear movement and try to move the ball forward, the team is very static when we have the ball and even when we do pass forward its never for the guy to run on to he's always got to turn back to collect it. Thought the grass looked very long today and the turf not that great definetly looked like we were playing on a rugby field. On a personal note its the 1st time i've seen the jags win in nearly 3 yrs so the hoodoo is burst

Disappointed to hear the consensus that Hodge was poor. McBeth sounds promising. With Cairney back and Flannigan coming in, Hodge will be warming the bench.

Both Kinniburgh and Boyle will need games to fit back in. Hopefully, they will come good as we cannot afford more severance payments.

We had Archie, McNamara, Maxwell and Erskine missing today. If we can get in another defender on loan, we should be okay in defence and midfield. But we need another goal scorer!!!

Brian Backwards spends more time facing his own goal than the opposition's. He is so tediously slow to get moving at the best of times.

A complete liability.

I would like to make special mention to Paddy Boyle whose determination to get the ball led to the second and winning goal.

He's come in for some stick on here but credit where credit is due.

...Hodge was disappointing...

[A]t one point in the 1st half Boyle showed the clyde winger to the outside, which is where he went, Boyle tracked the run and timed his challenge well to put the ball out for a throw--imo it was good defending.

The only person Id criticise today is Hodge...he's too slow and too weak in the tackle, what have he (and Paton for that matter) been doin in pre-season to adapt their games?

Boyle was exposed repeatedly by Hodge failing to support him: so Boyle did well, as some people have recognised. It's obvious what Hodge didn't do in his summer holidays (which he should have done) - kicked a ball repeatedly against a wall with his right foot, until he became comfortable with it. Ditto Paton, only the other foot, of course. :censor:

Absolutely correct Fearchar, the number of times Brian Backwards had to be shouted at to go and cover wide was shocking.

As for the Bombscare, on the bright side, he'll probably pick up enough bookings to keep himself suspemded for most of the season.

Edited by Semi Nurainen