Just In

Semi Nurainen

i dont see it and the same goes for the other two youngsters.

MacBeth two first team starts.

Burns yet to start a first team fixture.

Bannigan 18 minutes of first team football.

The Adam Spark chap is right when he says we need to be careful not to build them up too much but getting "frustrated" with these three players when they have played so little first team football (less than 20 minutes for Bannigan) at the stage in their careers when they are still very much developing as players seems a bit unfair.

Edited by Tom Hosie

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Adam Spark chap is right when he says we need to be careful not to build them up too much but getting "frustrated" with these three players when they have played so little first team football (less than 20 minutes for Bannigan) at the stage in their careers when they are still very much developing as players seems a bit unfair.

It's more than just a bit unfair.

The lads have plenty of developing to do and a lot to learn but I feel the signs are good. Certainly Owen Coyle thinks so with regards MacBeth. Still compared to those who post on here, what does he know ? Bloody hell when did things get so negative !!

as i am working away didnt see the game,sounds depressingly similair to last season,without doubt liam needs to feed off a big striker,why does mrmcoll not play the man he signed for that roll.mr mccoll is already beginning to sound like a broken record,i think that we are going to rely on the younger lads more than we should have to.

no doubt the board will be happy that they have got the season ticket money in early as i cant see much too look forward to

First of all who is McCocoll - its McCall.

How exactly is mccoll sounding like a broken record?

You werent at the game yesterday nor were you at many of the games last season so you wouldnt have known that the problem was our strikers missing open targets so when McCall mentioend that in his psot match interviews thats exactly what happened - he's not on the pitch so he cant put the ball into the net for them.

We are going to haev to rely on the younger lads quite a bit because we are skint - I think you will find there are far more wide ranging factors that have led to this than this 'mccoll' character you love referring too.

Think some like you just love having a moan for the sake of it. At least try and get your facts right.

Bloody hell when did things get so negative !!

About 2004. :P

We should be optimistic about the quality of player coming through the youth system but equally we need to be careful not to burden them with expectation. They've all got a lot to learn about being first team footballers and physically some need to get a bit stronger.

The signs are encouraging though. Okay they might not all have featured had we not about half a dozen players missing yesterday but 4 from last season's under 19 team in the 16 yesterday is got to be the cause of some positivity.

How exactly is mccoll sounding like a broken record?

You werent at the game yesterday nor were you at many of the games last season so you wouldnt have known that the problem was our strikers missing open targets so when McCall mentioend that in his psot match interviews thats exactly what happened - he's not on the pitch so he cant put the ball into the net for them.

We are going to haev to rely on the younger lads quite a bit because we are skint - I think you will find there are far more wide ranging factors that have led to this than this 'mccoll' character you love referring too.

Think some like you just love having a moan for the sake of it. At least try and get your facts right.

Third Lanark... I Love It!!! You have a pop at the previous poster for spelling Mr McCalls name wrong...then proceed to litter your post with Typos!! :lol:

About 2004. :P

We should be optimistic about the quality of player coming through the youth system but equally we need to be careful not to burden them with expectation. They've all got a lot to learn about being first team footballers and physically some need to get a bit stronger.

The signs are encouraging though. Okay they might not all have featured had we not about half a dozen players missing yesterday but 4 from last season's under 19 team in the 16 yesterday is got to be the cause of some positivity.

Totally agree.

Is there any news as to whether Fannigan will be signed or not ? Seems to have gone all quiet on that front.

Don't take back what I said about the Bombscare or Brian Backwards, but one of the positives was winning the game with so many of the first eleven sidelined; strangely I thought we were much hungrier for a third goal, rather than we were for the second - we seemed to sit back and think 'job done' at one-up.

But we need to improve massively in all areas before the next home game with Dundee.

so it's ok to be negative about the team but not positive ?

I really get the feeling with the forum it;s only negative comments about Partick Thistle that are welcomed and those of us with one ounce of enthusiasm are shot down.

Well, you're wrong. I desperately want the young guys to succeed. Therefore, I'd rather people didn't build them up leaving them exposed to sniping should their performances fail to live up to expectation created here.

Much as i am pleased that we are producing some youngsters,If we play Dundee with the same team as Saturday,we will get thrashed.Mcbeth is the only one of the boys who is big enough to play,Bannigan and Burns are far too lightweight and very easily muscled off the ball.Hopefully in time they can bulk up a bit.Ask yourself this do you think any of our kids would get a start with another team in the division.The other obvious problem which we had last year was an inability to convert the chances which we created and it would appear we have done nothing to remedy this,only Buchanan IF FIT looks capable of scoring,can`t see any of our other strikers scoring more than five goals this season

McLaughlin.

Flannigan.

And McCall does sound like a broken record. And a particularly unpleasing one on the ear if yesterday's comments regarding the fans are to be believed.

He's sounding more and more like the manager that was punted from Queens with each passing day. Let's hope he rediscovers the enthusiasm he once appeared to have for the job - and quickly - and that transmits to the players.

If we play Dundee with the same team as Saturday,we will get thrashed.

It's easy to come to that conclusion if you haven't seen Dundee play, but they've been disappointing thus far and you should have a swatch at their fans' forum if you think this one's negative!

This season probably presents the best opportunity for blooding youngsters in quite some time. I now it's said year-on-year, but the teams in this division really are much of a muchness.

Edited by The Incredible Adam Spark

The Great Lambini, on 25 July 2010 - 03:04 PM, said:

i dont see it and the same goes for the other two youngsters.

Agreed. MacBeth played very well. One paced? Who in our team isn't? If you watched his game carefully he finds space all the time - unfortunately didn't always get the ball when in space. He played some mis-placed passes but even these showed he sees the options quicker than some of the more experienced players round him - the intention was always to get the ball forward whenever possible. A few times he linked up well with the forwards round the penalty box. Just perhaps a bit nervous and/or over-eager which led to some mistakes but still a good performance over the 90 minutes.

There's a long way to go and things can happen, injury or loss of confidence (viz Boyle) but so long as he's brought along carefully MacBeth looks a real prospect. The others look like they could be useful players for us too - particularly Burns who seems to have real pace and energy, though he may be unlucky in that we seem well covered up front at the moment with four forwards ahead of him. We're a bit short for midfield cover at the moment so we're more likely to see more of MacBeth (and Mcgeogh considering the defence is a bit thin too).

It's easy to come to that conclusion if you haven't seen Dundee play, but they've been disappointing thus far and you should have a swatch at their fans' forum if you think this one's negative!

This season probably presents the best opportunity for blooding youngsters in quite some team. I now it's said year-on-year, but the teams in this division really are much of a muchness.

I suppose it is quite some team but not to sure whether you mean in a good or bad way

,Bannigan and Burns are far too lightweight and very easily muscled off the ball.

Bannigan despite his slight build is a tough player. One of the things that impressed me down at Largs last week when it was men v boys was the way Bannigan stood up to the physical side of it and at one point in the second half the tackles were flying in.

Becoming physically stronger though is part of developing as a footballer. The manager talked about this back at the start of the month with reference to the importance of the dual role that Donnelly and McNamara will have at the Club.

“It’s not enough just to have ability. It’s as much about lifestyle as it is about talent. Simon and Jackie will coach the boys really well but they will also lead by example when it comes to looking after themselves in terms of diet. The training that the young boys will get will be really quite intensive with two sessions a day at the start of the week and we aim to develop them not just as players but physically as well.”

Ian McCall

Official Site - July 1st

Edited by Tom Hosie

Apologies to Tam if he included it in his match report, but I was surprised that more wasn't said about Bannigan making his full home debut (I think!!!) on Saturday?

He came on as a substitute for Kinniburgh, with Boyle going into left centre-back, Hodge going to left back and Bannigan to left midfield.

As somebody said earlier, the history books will show we got a 2-1 win. Unless there is a typo.

Only one team managed through this round with relative ease, Peterhead.

This was many teams first meaningful action with players seeking to impress, and the geographical split made derbys more likely, thus making it more competitive.

We won and in the second half I think we were comfortable.

A few positives to take from the game is all we can ask at this stage.

Hopfully we can keep on improving with our trip to Annan.

McLaughlin.

Flannigan.

And McCall does sound like a broken record. And a particularly unpleasing one on the ear if yesterday's comments regarding the fans are to be believed.

He's sounding more and more like the manager that was punted from Queens with each passing day. Let's hope he rediscovers the enthusiasm he once appeared to have for the job - and quickly - and that transmits to the players.

Is that not a wee bit hypocritical (probably not from you personally)? It wasn't that long ago people were saying his constant praising of the fans was 'bullsh!tting'!

For what it's worth, I think he's right...the loudest noises on Saturday were fans moaning and getting on players backs (except for the cheering of the goals, and the Gypo fans).