Pre-Season

kni

I know it's a bit early but am I right in thinking that there will be another ARR Craib Cup this year? If so does anyone have information, e.g. dates? I am planning to go on holiday in July and don't want to miss it.

It is also possible that we could be invited to play some games in England or even Wales. We could help the club with its plans by indicating how far we are willing to travel - north, Midlands or South.

There are a lots of cheap flight and hotel offers around. London (lots of clubs at all levels) or the south would be my preference - e.g. Southampton, Bournemouth (promoted to the Championship), Portsmouth.

Any views?

Aye a Premiership or a Championship club or even one of Portsmouth's stature is going to play a home friendly against a wee diddy team from Scotland...

A Premiership club could offer us a game against their under-21s. Bournemouth's ground is smaller than Firhill.

The Chairman has said a bit of development work will be done at Firhill during the summer, so I doubt we will host many home friendlies during the pre-season. However a wee trip down south would be nice, Carlisle United would be ideal.

Carlisle is a good day out and easy to get to. :thumbsup2:

The Chairman has said a bit of development work will be done at Firhill during the summer, so I doubt we will host many home friendlies during the pre-season. However a wee trip down south would be nice, Carlisle United would be ideal.

Bing developments????

On the subject of ground developments, I notice that Queen of the South are now installing an artificial pitch to replace grass.

Bing developments????

On the subject of ground developments, I notice that Queen of the South are now installing an artificial pitch to replace grass.

How can the Doonhamers afford it? The cost will be at least £300k.

I noticed that they have started selling their new Joma strips already.

How can the Doonhamers afford it? The cost will be at least £300k.

Apparently Sport Scotland are stumping up the huge chunk of ot .. Queens are spending £60k.

ETA, Council and Sport Scotland putting up roughly £440k and Queens £60k.

Edited by Garscube Road End

That's what you need ... who wouldn't want to get our new shirt now, wear it during the Summer when it's actually nice, and we have something to smile about? I bet we could have shifted a fair few on Saturday (if the new design isn't baws of course).

I'd hope from a personal point of view we get a trip to somewhere decent, Somewhere down south that's easy to get to and relatively cheap travelwise.

I do tho' think Archie should try and replicate last season's pre season programme as much as possible. I don't recall ever having seen a Jags side start the season so match fit and tactically ready. If we've to bite the bullet and miss out on visiting somewhere less familiar than Alloa and Ayr I wouldn't be the least upset if it meant starting the season hitting the ground running like we did last summer.

• Like 1

I'd love it to be the north-west or midlands of England. Mainly because it is handy for me. Crewe or Tranmere would be good, however there are so many clubs in the north-west I wouldn't be picky.

Ireland would be brilliant though as it's just a hop on a ferry for me.

• 2 weeks later...

How about a return to Lancashire? Who could forget the pre-season opener at Lancaster a few years ago?

On the way back from a wee place near Lytham last night, I checked out the ground of AFC Fylde - a decent wee side who were playing in the second leg of the Unibond Northern Premier League play-offs tonight, towards a place in the Conference North.

It's a tidy wee stadium; pretty much 4-sided and not dissimilar to Lancaster's ground, and situated less than 100 yards behind a nice country pub. Oh, and a 10-15 minute drive from the Blackpool promenade.

Or there's Fleetwood Town of English Division 2. Excellent, vastly improved stadium and contains a very large bar area from which you can watch the on-the-pitch action, on one of the 20 or so TVs in situ, including the toilets!

Come on Jags, how's about it?

• Members

Talking of Falkirk... shortly after they moved into their current ground, did they not have some sort of revolutionary turf system installed? I seem to recall that the roots were protected by some form of grid just below the surface? Or am I just imagining this?

Talking of Falkirk... shortly after they moved into their current ground, did they not have some sort of revolutionary turf system installed? I seem to recall that the roots were protected by some form of grid just below the surface? Or am I just imagining this?

I thought they had a an artifical weave inserted into the park (bit like wayne rooney) to help protect the park plainly doesnt work if they did have it