Congratulation From Glasgow Council

east end jag

Wasnt it these bassas who rejected our ideas for the bing?? And now give the other half of the ugly sisters the go ahead of their plans in the east end!!

Could be wrong. But theyve never helped Thistle...

You do know that the bing plans were the equivilant of being written on the back of a fag packet and went against various regulations?

if planning had been passed for that, someone at the council would have been getting investigated for it!

Weren't the bing plans approved by government planners and when the council was supposed to rubber stamp them they refused, claiming there would not be enough local amenities for the people that bought the flats? (like they wouldn't know that before choosing to buy them...)

I thought that the reason given was that the piece of land was considered too small for a mixed stadium/housing development, so that either the stand or the flats had to go.

But I'm often more likely to be wrong that right.

I thought that the reason given was that the piece of land was considered too small for a mixed stadium/housing development, so that either the stand or the flats had to go.

But I'm often more likely to be wrong that right.

The original application was recommended for approval by the planning officers based on the detailed proposals provided. They did acknowledge that it went against a provision against 'mixed use' in large stadia (ie over 10000) in Glasgow but indicated that this provision was really intended for the much larger clubs. The councillors who made up the committee went against this advice and voted it down. There was a bit of a story about 'absent' members at that meeting.

The issue was essentially where the line was drawn between land which formed the stadium and land adjacent. The more recent successful (propco) application effectively worked by making the stadium smaller.

Edited by Mr Scruff

The elected Members (appropriate) within Glasgow Council have given permission for the London Rd School (Grade 2 Listed) to be demolished and some metal box to flog a selection of crypto Irish tat and other various celebrations of sectarian bigotry to be erected in its place - kind of sums up Glasgow Council.

• Like 1

Think down to stuff Partick Thistle and trust have done over the years in community initiatives has probably put PTFC on a much better foot in terms of relationships with Glasgow City Council. The getting the Lord Provists Loving Cup is symbolic of that. One would hope that the development of such social capital will stand the club in good stead with GCC whenever it needs its support in something or another.

The elected Members (appropriate) within Glasgow Council have given permission for the London Rd School (Grade 2 Listed) to be demolished and some metal box to flog a selection of crypto Irish tat and other various celebrations of sectarian bigotry to be erected in its place - kind of sums up Glasgow Council.

I don't know the specifics of that situation; but i would have thought as a general principle, an opening of cultural space for the self expression of the irish community in Glasgow would be a pretty good thing insofar as it delegitmises Celtic football clubs claim over that heritage...

I don't know the specifics of that situation; but i would have thought as a general principle, an opening of cultural space for the self expression of the irish community in Glasgow would be a pretty good thing insofar as it delegitmises Celtic football clubs claim over that heritage...

This would be a good point, if the museum mentioned wasn't run by Celtic, including a legends walkway from the museum to the stadium with statues. In time for the Commonwealth Games.

Yay.

well like i said i do not know the specifics of the situation but 3 things emerge. 1) the main point stands - there are all sorts of historical reasons for why celtic football club became one of the only legitimate spaces for the expression of irish cultural identity, the first essay by bradley in the book celtic minded gives a good account of that. 2) partick thistle needs to continue to have a good relationship with the civic authorities in order to be able to develop itself in the city of glasgow. 3) the general tone of resentiment that traditionally circulates in partick thistle domain impedes its development in a space it shares with the old firm.

Edited by mrD

well like i said i do not know the specifics of the situation but 3 things emerge. 1) the main point stands - there are all sorts of historical reasons for why celtic football club became one of the only legitimate spaces for the expression of irish cultural identity, the first essay by bradley in the book celtic minded gives a good account of that. 2) partick thistle needs to continue to have a good relationship with the civic authorities in order to be able to develop itself in the city of glasgow. 3) the general tone of resentiment that traditionally circulates in partick thistle domain impedes its development in a space it shares with the old firm.

Unfortunately, the air in that space is TOXIC!!!

I think GJ is right. The museum does anything but delegitmise Celtic's claim over Glasgow Irish heritage; if anything it reinforces the misconception that it is their preserve.

For what it is worth, I would welcome any kind of museum that acknowledges and commemorates the Irish contribution to Glasgow, but this seems like yet another cynical attempt by Celtic to make £.

A missed opportunity, then, which is a great shame, because we can no doubt look forward to years and years of this:

864B6BE8-E2DA-4576-A123-6699D0F96752-5950-000002A45BE4F48F.jpg

I think GJ is right. The museum does anything but delegitmise Celtic's claim over Glasgow Irish heritage; if anything it reinforces the misconception that it is their preserve.

For what it is worth, I would welcome any kind of museum that acknowledges and commemorates the Irish contribution to Glasgow, but this seems like yet another cynical attempt by Celtic to make £.

A missed opportunity, then, which is a great shame, because we can no doubt look forward to years and years of this:

864B6BE8-E2DA-4576-A123-6699D0F96752-5950-000002A45BE4F48F.jpg

Loved the picture but how did you convince yer maw and da to dress up like this?

Loved the picture but how did you convince yer maw and da to dress up like this?

Persuading my maw and da to do anything is quite difficult these days, since one of them is dead.

I am not quite sure what your wee dig there was in aid of, to be honest. Touchy that your big team is being criticised, perhaps?