Petition To Create Respite Facilities For Disabled Young Adults With Life Shortening Conditions

RabTheJag

I know this has nothing to do with football or anything like that, but I want to know if you all wouldnt mind helping me with something?

Some of you might have seen this on Facebook and elsewhere, but I am currently trying to share a petition with as many people as possible. Its about creating respite services to support disabled adults with life shortening conditions in the age group 21-45. There are plenty of respite services for children and for much older adults and pensioners, but when you are my age you find yourself stuck in the middle with nowhere to go. I feel its up to the UK and Scottish governments to do something about this, I think they have a responsibility to us disabled young adults and our families to address this gap in provision.

So I just want to ask you all if you could please sign this petition and share it with everyone you know? This issue is so vitally important and needs to be dealt with. Your help is much appreciated.

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/p/adultrespite

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much everyone for helping and supporting me with this, I didnt expect to get so many responses. It just shows what a great bunch us Jags fan are. :thumbsup2: My petition has now got over 600 signatures, which is great progress in just 3 weeks. But the hard part is keeping the momentum going!

I hadnt thought of raising the issue with Thistle, do you think thats a good idea? I didnt think it was the sort of thing that a football club would get involved with, isnt it more of a political issue?

I've also created a Facebook page if anyone wants to follow the progress of my petition, you can check it out and "like" it at http://www.facebook.com/DisabledAdultRespite

Thanks again! :worship:

Edited by RabTheJag

• 4 weeks later...

Bumped and signed.

Pity more Jags fans don't get to read this.

917 out of 1000 signatures now, doing well.

I think I talked to you at the Morton game Rab. Were you the guy at the bottom of the Northy and your helper got skelped on the nut by the ba'?

Hi Jukebox Rebel, thanks for taking the time to find this thread and bump it back up again to get more interest, you must have had to search through quite a few pages to find it! So I appreciate your support, my petition has almost reached the magic four figures now so Im delighted with the progress its making.

I am indeed the guy at the bottom ofthe North stand and that wasnt a helper thats my Dad who got whacked by the ball! We've been going to Firhill together for many years! Im sorry I cant remember your face because I saw so many people that night and Im hopeless at remembering faces! If you see me again this season feel free to come over and say hi :thumbsup2:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got your campaign update e-mail Rab – I hope you don’t mind I’ve copied and pasted it below for others to see the campaign progress. I’m delighted to see you've just had another small victory - this is an awesome effort and I’m cheering you on as, I’m sure, are all your Thistle brederen on this site. Holyrood will be your Hampden and you’re heading for the final!

When we won the Scottish Cup in 1921 we had a similar awesome effort to make – it was a titanic struggle that took us eleven games in the end. In fact, I need to check up on that. It might be another record. :P Anyway, nobody gave the Jags a chance back then – we were up against three big city sides but we overcame them with sheer determination and hard work against the odds. In the Sunday Post the day after the game, Willie Maley (who seems to the 1921 equivalent of Chick Dung) wrote: “My heartiest congratulations must go to Partick Thistle. Never at any time has the Firhill team been a strong fancy of mine in the Cup ties, and, whilst it always tickles the sporting palate to see the giants of the game go under, I was not one of those who really considered that the Rangers would be ousted by the Thistle in the Scottish Cup final.” Well, the Jags not only beat the (now defunct) Rangers, but they beat the in-built prejudices of those in the media at the same time. I reckon that’s you now in the quarter finals Rab! It’ll be tough but you have given your just cause every chance – no matter what happens you can be proud of your own personal “epic Scottish Cup run”.

MORE SIGNATURES PLEASE WEARETHISTLE FORUM!

SPREAD THE WORD!

“Dear Friends and Supporters,

I have some positive news to report regarding the campaign for adult respite!

Myself along with a few other young adults recently managed to have a meeting with the high-profile Labour MSP Jackie Baillie. Ms Baillie is already involved with the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign as she helps organise the Cross Party Group meetings on MD that are held at the Scottish Parliament every so often, and she had already pledged her support for this campaign, but for her to come along to speak to a group of us shows that she really means what she said. She genuinely seems to want to help us, she gave us lots of useful information on how we can take the campaign to the next level. She has also agreed to work together on this issue with Jim Eadie who is an SNP MSP, so its great to see that they are willing to put their political party affiliations to one side in order to help support us with this vitally important campaign.

Ms Baillie says that the next step has to be to get me to Parliament to speak about this issue in front of the MSPs and present the petition to them so that they can all hear and see how vital this issue is, and this would also get the media involved because this would be a big news story for them to report on. She says she will make sure that this issue gets chosen to be debated at parliament so that I can present it, so now the ball has begun rolling, it wont be long before I will be heading to parliament with the petition signatures in hand.

Of course I wouldn't be a very powerful force all by myself. Although I will be doing the actual presentation to the MSPs, on the day we would want to get as many of us young adults and our families and supporters as possible to come along to the Scottish Parliament so that we could gather outside and show the Government just how much this issue means to us, and with the media involved this would really make us a much more powerful voice, which the Government will find very difficult to ignore.

We are now reaching the most important stage of the campaign so far then. When I present the petition to the Scottish Parliament the higher the number of signatures I have to show to the politicians the better, because its the only way the politicians will realise just how important an issue this is for so many people across the country, not just for one small group of disabled young adults.

So I need to ask each and every one of you to help give this petition another big push, I know we can do it because you have all responded brilliantly each time I have asked you to. So if you know anyone with a UK postcode who hasn’t already signed the petition, please direct them to the following link and ask them to sign it:

If you see people in person, talk to them on Facebook or Twitter, or send them an email to ask them to sign and share the petition... whatever method you can think of, as long as we can spread the word far and wide that’s all that matters.

Thank you so much everyone for your continued support!

Robert Watson”

• Like 1