Dundee Consider American Takeover Bid

kni

Story on the BBC.

"Two current directors, Bill Colvin and Steve Martin, are also involved in the bid to buy the club.

They have teamed up with Texan investor Tim Keyes and his business partner who both have US footballing interests.

The Dundee Supporters Society, who have three of the six directors at Dens Park, have called for a board meeting to discuss the offer.

The bid for the club, who were relegated this season , is understood to be in the region of £700,000.

Dens Park is currently owned by former Dundee United director John Bennett and it is understood that talks are ongoing to buy the ground back from him.

Dundee are a fan-owned club and, if the club's board approves the sale, the supporters society would have their shareholding diluted.

However, they would still retain a shareholding of around 30% in the club and have representation on the board.

The two investors are understood to be involved in a football academy in Austin, Texas, and wish to develop a similar project with Dundee."

Edited by kni

Why do people keep putting money into Dundee, they are the second team in a tiny impoverished city, they aren't an established SPL team, they are never going to grow into a big team, they don't own their own ground and even if they did the land is worth peanuts.

Why do people keep putting money into Dundee, they are the second team in a tiny impoverished city, they aren't an established SPL team, they are never going to grow into a big team, they don't own their own ground and even if they did the land is worth peanuts.

But at least they're not Dundee Utd.

Anyone would have to be mental to throw any money at a Scottish football club; sure, if one of us won the lottery we'd finance Thistle, but we wouldn't be looking to turn a profit.

Not to particularly knock Dundee, but what is so attractive about them? Why has no-one ever sniffed around us? We're the third team in Glasgow, Scotland's most populous city, with a huge catchment area. Currently we're the second most successful team too.

Is there not a lot more prospective potential with us than most other teams? Not that I want us to get bought over by Texas businessmen; guaranteed to end in disaster (again).

The BBC is reporting that Bennett is willing to sell Dens Park to the consortium for £750k.

Dundee FC's luckiest break came when first in administration their ground was valued near worthless. The then Inland Revenue worked out the best way of ever getting a return on their debt would be to let Dundee continue as a football club. Had that piece of land had a higher valuation the Dees would've now been an east coast variation of Clyde FC.

Even knowing that I'd have thought their land well exceeds £750K. Thru all their turmoil of two administrations the guy Bennett, whose sympathies lie further down the street, has come across as very accommodating maybe even altruistic.

Anyone would have to be mental to throw any money at a Scottish football club; sure, if one of us won the lottery we'd finance Thistle, but we wouldn't be looking to turn a profit.

Not to particularly knock Dundee, but what is so attractive about them? Why has no-one ever sniffed around us? We're the third team in Glasgow, Scotland's most populous city, with a huge catchment area. Currently we're the second most successful team too.

Is there not a lot more prospective potential with us than most other teams? Not that I want us to get bought over by Texas businessmen; guaranteed to end in disaster (again).

Glasgow born , dubai based buisnessman showed some interest some six months ago but thats as far as it went .

• Members

I'd have thought that the current BOD are pretty much exactly what you're describing?

Dundee were the subject of a possible take over in the late 90's, also American based, an American Doctor called Obi Okhai (originally from Nigeria) working with a Dundee based coach (name escapes me just now) who was working in American soccer with Orlando Colts came to this country interested in investing money, they met with several Dundee directors, but a deal could not be done, I believe they then talked to Kilmarnock through an intermediary called Jim Rollo who was a scout for Liverpool (now sadly deceased)

Okhai had money in a team in Nigeria and was also part owner of the colts I believe, but nothing was forthcoming by way of investment in Scottish football then, and I fear the same will be the case again, it is certainly not a good investment risk - no matter how cheap

Dundee were the subject of a possible take over in the late 90's, also American based, an American Doctor called Obi Okhai (originally from Nigeria) working with a Dundee based coach (name escapes me just now) who was working in American soccer with Orlando Colts came to this country interested in investing money, they met with several Dundee directors, but a deal could not be done, I believe they then talked to Kilmarnock through an intermediary called Jim Rollo who was a scout for Liverpool (now sadly deceased)

Okhai had money in a team in Nigeria and was also part owner of the colts I believe, but nothing was forthcoming by way of investment in Scottish football then, and I fear the same will be the case again, it is certainly not a good investment risk - no matter how cheap

So where is...

Okhai the noo?

Sorry. :innocent2:

Edited by danish jag

Guest fredthecheesecloth

The Steedmans has a good sniff.

I'm sure I've had emails along these lines, offering to put money into my bank account..