Developments At Other Clubs....

Jaggernaut

I have just realised that Nielsen was the Manchester City goalie who my close friend was chatting to (lived in the same block of flats) when he had a heart attack. Nielsen was brilliant, called the ambulance and tried his best to revive him. Sadly, my friend had died instantly. I hope he signs for Motherwell as I'd love the chance to meet and thank him personally.

Good signing

In the circumstances, is he though? They are losing £1M a month according to their own accounts. Another high earner is not desperately needed for winning SFL2 against the challenge of East Fife. Derek McInnes said at the weekend that his budget at Bristol City was eight times his budget at Aberdeen, so Foster will be on ridiculous money for the level he will be playing at. Of course, they do have the same pretensions to Cup glory that they spouted last pre-season.

In the circumstances, is he though? They are losing £1M a month according to their own accounts. Another high earner is not desperately needed for winning SFL2 against the challenge of East Fife. Derek McInnes said at the weekend that his budget at Bristol City was eight times his budget at Aberdeen, so Foster will be on ridiculous money for the level he will be playing at. Of course, they do have the same pretensions to Cup glory that they spouted last pre-season.

They could be out of two of the three cup competitions before they can actually register their new signings on September 1st.

• Like 3

Why should they not think they can win one of the cup comps.

Aberdeen are in a financial mess and another who could be in big trouble so no suprise the budget is so low for Mciness.

Don't think Foster will be on huge wages and sure financially they are affordable.

Aberdeen are in a financial mess and another who could be in big trouble so no suprise the budget is so low for Mciness.

Don't think Foster will be on huge wages and sure financially they are affordable.

Aberdeen have made some decent signings and I fancy them to do well this season.

As for Sevco, it's really laughable that the likes of Gretna could scoosh the 3rd Division raking up all sorts of points and goalscoring records with SFL standard players and Fat Sally couldn't do anything like the same with about 40x Gretna's budget. I'm willing to wager that Sevco wont get anywhere near QoS's achievements last season in Div 2 either.

Aberdeen have made some decent signings and I fancy them to do well this season.

As for Sevco, it's really laughable that the likes of Gretna could scoosh the 3rd Division raking up all sorts of points and goalscoring records with SFL standard players and Fat Sally couldn't do anything like the same with about 40x Gretna's budget. I'm willing to wager that Sevco wont get anywhere near QoS's achievements last season in Div 2 either.

Does it really matter?

How Rangers get back to the top of Scottish football is of no interest to me only that they do get there.

PS (Well done Gretna for scooshing everything and breaking all sorts of records along the way)

Sevco should be competitive in the Ramsdens, I would imagine, so fair point duly accepted.

Aberdeen are, as you say, in the same dire financial state as many other clubs who blew money away over the last 15 years of the SPL, but the comparison with Aberdeen was merely to highlight the Foster situation (as he had come from Bristol City). Rangers couldn't compete with top level Championship clubs when they were in the SPL and blowing tens of millions on player wages. The budget last year of £7M was about 14 times the amount required to win SFL3 and meant they were paying Sandaza £4500 a week. That's excessive, and was reported in the press as pretty much the going rate for all the guys they picked up last summer. The new crop will be looking at similar wages I reckon.

Can you explain to me how running a £1M defecit each month is "affordable"? (Unless the Club were lying to the AIM market when posting the 6-month accounts. Surely not.....).

Edited by David Stevenson

How is losing £1M a month running an "affordable" budget? Unless they were lying to the AIM market when posting the 6-month accounts. Surely not......

It's unlikely that Rangers are losing a £1m a month now. The initial losses would have reflected the costs of paying off Oldco's footballing debts (including transfer fees) and professional advisers' fees that would be been high due to the AIM listing (underwriters etc).

There's every chance sevco could in fact break one of Gretna's records. Not one you'd welcome tho', billko.

What record is that?

Sevco should be competitive in the Ramsdens, I would imagine, so fair point duly accepted.

Aberdeen are, as you say, in the same dire financial state as many other clubs who blew money away over the last 15 years of the SPL, but the comparison with Aberdeen was merely to highlight the Foster situation (as he had come from Bristol City). Rangers couldn't compete with top level Championship clubs when they were in the SPL and blowing tens of millions on player wages. The budget last year of £7M was about 14 times the amount required to win SFL3 and meant they were paying Sandaza £4500 a week. That's excessive, and was reported in the press as pretty much the going rate for all the guys they picked up last summer. The new crop will be looking at similar wages I reckon.

Can you explain to me how running a £1M defecit each month is "affordable"? (Unless the Club were lying to the AIM market when posting the 6-month accounts. Surely not.....).

Ramsdens cup will do just fine David but you just never know in football what other cups we might be competitive in.

Some of the games and football played by Rangers was very poor last season and alot of these guys did under perform in this division but i look at the SPL and Celtic winning the title with the lowest points total since the split was introduced and this was without a Rangers in the league so under performing is not just a problem just for Rangers.

It's unlikely that Rangers are losing a £1m a month now. The initial losses would have reflected the costs of paying off Oldco's footballing debts (including transfer fees) and professional advisers' fees that would be been high due to the AIM listing (underwriters etc).

True, but on the other hand those figures would have included the bulk of the season ticket income which would have been the biggest single element of income for the season. They really haven't cut back much at all on the Club infrastructure that they inherited; no significant redundancies were made at any stage (unless you count Gordon Smith).

The playing budget was sliced but it was still probably more than the rest of the SFL combined and likely the second biggest budget in Scottish football. The return on that "investment" was dismal. Obviously (like billko) they are looking to make an impact in the Cup competitions but the experience of last season should temper those thoughts. The only good results that they had were beating Alloa and Motherwell at Ibrox (the latter may have been the best and worst performances of the two teams all season). Nicky Clark should do the business for them but while he was fantastic last season, his previous goals tally was distinctly unimpressive at 9 goals in 86 games (http://en.wikipedia....iki/Nicky_Clark).

Edited by David Stevenson

Calvin Zola could well hit double figures, along with a player like Niall McGinn upfront, Aberdeen could easily be looking at second place this year.

There isn't an awful lot between the teams outside the obvious candidate for Champions, so you could be right. However, they've been saying that in Aberdeen each pre-season (well, maybe 3rd rather than 2nd) for a couple of decades now....

There isn't an awful lot between the teams outside the obvious candidate for Champions, so you could be right. However, they've been saying that in Aberdeen each pre-season (well, maybe 3rd rather than 2nd) for a couple of decades now....

I think they have a decent manager now though. Of course it may take him a season to to get the team playing the way he wants it to as I'm not sure he is an "instant impact" manager, more the kind that builds things up. Top six with maybe a decent cup run maybe for this season and pushing on next season. But as you say the lot outside of Celtic are much of a muchness so you never know.

Does it really matter?

How Rangers get back to the top of Scottish football is of no interest to me only that they do get there.

PS (Well done Gretna for scooshing everything and breaking all sorts of records along the way)

The bit in bold worries me as no Jags fan would ever say such a thing. Personally I wouldn't have them in Division 3.

You sure you're on the right forum?

The bit in bold worries me as no Jags fan would ever say such a thing. Personally I wouldn't have them in Division 3.

I think you'll find we are his "second" team as his boy plays in the youth set-up at some level (sorry, can't remember which). We've had plenty non-Jags on the forum (or fora) over the years. Whatever happened to RedV?

I think you'll find we are his "second" team as his boy plays in the youth set-up at some level (sorry, can't remember which). We've had plenty non-Jags on the forum (or fora) over the years. Whatever happened to RedV?

I feel unclean.

I can tolerate any teams's fans (even Celtic at a push) but Sevco are a step too far for me.

• Like 1

The R word died as a club a year ago bill, k.o.'d you could say.

Scottish football does not need a strong sevco, or a weak one either for that matter.

Death to sevco.

One Team In Glasgow :-)

I feel unclean.

I can tolerate any teams's fans (even Celtic at a push) but Sevco are a step too far for me.

You sound like a Sellik fan and i can see why you might have a soft spot for them

I also understand why you dislike my club but this happens when your so successful.

Thistle/Sellik fan Rangers /Thistle fan.

We at least have one thing in common in that we both like Thistle. :D

God almighty! our forums are being badly polluted by Sevco fans??? Feel so disgustingly dirty.

Think you will find that when you register the forum welcomes all football fans even the moronic element like yourself is welcomed. ;)

The R word died as a club a year ago bill, k.o.'d you could say.

Scottish football does not need a strong sevco, or a weak one either for that matter.

Death to sevco.

One Team In Glasgow :-)

You will find the club you are talking about is very much alive even if it doesn't sit well with you.

Scottish football doesn't need a strong Rangers?

:lol: