Jordan Mcmillan

kane0

You must be pretty sad if you 'truly despair' about posts like this.

O'Donnell was fit when he returned - and by his own admission (see the Sportsound podcase the night we beat Morton), he had a howler in more than one game.

In any case, carrying an injury isn't an excuse for failing to find a team mate with a pass from 10 yards, or take a decent corner kick (I think my dad was going to have a heart attack in the cup final with some of his efforts!) which a constant frustration when he came back.

Rampaging forward - isn't that what McMillan did to score against Dunfermline?

He wasn't 'rock solid' defensively - the whole defence was this, not individuals. See SODs performance and individual errors in the Raith game - quite clear he let his nerves get the better of him, which is another issue.

Quite happy with SOD to be first choice on his form prior to injury. However when he's off form we need someone reliable to be able and come in. McMillan was voted in 1st Division team of the year, Dunfermline fans were gutted to see him go and I've seen him play enough times to see a decent right back. That says enough for me.

This post is so laughable it's difficult to know where to begin.

I must have been at a different Raith game than you as the 3 defensive errors that led to Raith having clear opportunities were all down the left hand side. Dowie, Balatoni and and Sinclair were more to blame.

SOD is his own biggest critic and in the interview you mention, Chick Young was praising him for his display. Agreed he had a poor game in the cup final but he was hardly alone on that front.

As for McMillan, as others have already put the Glaswegian link up, it seems unlikely that we will be signing him anyway.

This post is so laughable it's difficult to know where to begin.

I must have been at a different Raith game than you as the 3 defensive errors that led to Raith having clear opportunities were all down the left hand side. Dowie, Balatoni and and Sinclair were more to blame.

SOD is his own biggest critic and in the interview you mention, Chick Young was praising him for his display. Agreed he had a poor game in the cup final but he was hardly alone on that front.

As for McMillan, as others have already put the Glaswegian link up, it seems unlikely that we will be signing him anyway.

So laughable that you agreed with most stuff in it.

I fear Archie may not have the contacts to get players in early and could be left to try to pick the best of the rest who remain on the scrapheap. This is perhaps no bad thing but the benefit of having all your business done for the beginning of pre-season was clear to see last year; despite him being an amoral scumbag, McNamara's approach to recruitment was and remains very good. Of course, we're in a far stronger position this season as we have the vast majority of our squad already signed up but we're still considerably short and have lost two of our best players, one of whom was also our most creative force.

I know Archie has always been private and, in his time as manager so far, has refrained from saying too much to the media but it would be nigh on impossible to keep any speculative chat regarding potential signings out of the press through agents or other clubs.

Still early doors yet but considering the amount of recruitment we have to do, especially with the formation of a new Under 20 squad, I would have expected us to be a little further down the line.

With regards to McMillan, it would have been good to get him on board but, Raith away apart, I was distinctly unimpressed with his performances. Undoubtedly a decent player and would have liked to have seen him have a proper go with us but won't be too disappointed should he move on as expected.

The very fact that Archie targeted Arbroaths centre forward worries me more and also the fact that a deal couldnt be agreed and that he (Doris) is now a target for FORFAR!!! No offence to Doris but we have got to be looking at better players than this! Hopefully the board with a minimum guaranteed £750,000 at the end of next season might release the purse strings a bit more without jeopordising the clubs finances

Edited by Lindau

The very fact that Archie targeted Arbroaths centre forward worries me more and also the fact that a deal couldnt be agreed and that he (Doris) is now a target for FORFAR!!! No offence to Doris but we have got to be looking at better players than this! Hopefully the board with a minimum guaranteed £750,000 at the end of next season might release the purse strings a bit more without jeopordising the club

Is this fact or is it some wild speculation from the papers?

I know Doris was on trial with Birmingham City at the tail end of last season. Maybe our interest in him cooled when we realised he wasn't very good?

Is this fact or is it some wild speculation from the papers?

Can only go by what was printed in the papers. Still think we need at least another 6 players and hopefully we will be looking at a bit better quality than Doris

Edited by Lindau

Why the panic. If its not broke don't fix it. The only player of distinction who has left is Erskine. IMO we have enhanced last years squad with Gallacher and Baird. With regards Archie not having the contacts, don't kid yourself, there will be players desperate to sign for us.

The very fact that Archie targeted Arbroaths centre forward worries me more and also the fact that a deal couldnt be agreed and that he (Doris) is now a target for FORFAR!!! No offence to Doris but we have got to be looking at better players than this! Hopefully the board with a minimum guaranteed £750,000 at the end of next season might release the purse strings a bit more without jeopordising the clubs finances

I don't know anything about Doris. However, can I ask whether you think Doris is not good enough because he plays for Arbroath, or because you know something of the player? If it is the former, would it not be worth remembering that many of our best players last season (Muirhead, Sinclair, Paton, Erskine, Doolan, Craigen for example) came from similarly lowly clubs, or from lower levels of the game.

I don't know anything about Doris. However, can I ask whether you think Doris is not good enough because he plays for Arbroath, or because you know something of the player? If it is the former, would it not be worth remembering that many of our best players last season (Muirhead, Sinclair, Paton, Erskine, Doolan, Craigen for example) came from similarly lowly clubs, or from lower levels of the game.

I just think we should be aiming a bit higher than Arbroaths striker who is now a target for Forfar and I have to remind you that no matter how well the guys played last year its a pretty big step up to the SPHell and not one of the guys you have mentioned has ever played at that grade before, so next season will answer a few questions

As an SPL side we should be looking to sign players from La Liga and English Premier League clubs. Not Arbroath.

Each to his own....is it a crime to hope that the club looks a bit higher than a part time Div 2 striker linked with Forfar, now that we are back in the SPHell. What the hell lets get Martin Grehan and Armand One back :icon_headfones:

Edited by Lindau

I think the point Lindau is trying to make is not where the player has come from (as there are plenty of our current squad who came from a similar level) but who the player is being linked with.

I agree that we shouldn't be competing with Dick Campbell for players.

I'd happily take a guy like Ryan McCord from Alloa for example.

Each to his own....is it a crime to hope that the club looks a bit higher than a part time Div 2 striker linked with Forfar, now that we are back in the SPHell. What the hell lets get Martin Grehan and Armand One back :icon_headfones:

I'd rather we signed a player for their talent and how they'd fit into the team, instead of just focusing on the fact we need players with SPL experience.

We've done well the last year signing players on the way up, instead of on the way down, like we did in the Campbell era. I think it's good our players aren't tarnished by SPL failure, and are going into it fresh.

• Like 1

Reading between the lines Doris is torn between remaining part time or going full time. From his point of view if he does decide to go full time it will be with an SPL club (maybe Dundee as an exception). That in turn puts significant pressure on the guy to do the business. If he stays part time then he'll just look for the best local deal he can get (Forfar?)

The likes of Grehan, Scott Chaplain and Brown Ferguson tried and failed at full time football whilst remaining in the SFL. That was more akin to testing the water. What Doris would be attempting would be a considerably bigger gamble both for him and the SPL club signing him. As Arch points out we've adopted a policy of signing players on their way up. I quite like the idea of signing players who have a good bit to lose themselves if they don't live up to expectations as opposed to the no skin of their nose types.

Whether Doris is up to it or not I've no idea. The guy's highly rated at Arbroath but I might be wrong in saying he's not exactly a prolific scorer. I believe he was also their penalty taker, which if correct lowers his goals from open play tally somewhat. I think if we were to sign him it would be purely on the potential of what the benefit of turning full time would bring as opposed to whatever he's done up to now. In cases like this you've really got to trust the folk that have identified the player as a worthwhile risk.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1