What Players Do We Need Now?

Jaggernaut

I reckon we've lost only one really important player; no need to specify who that is. The squad is looking good, but we clearly need another three players at least: a left-sided defender/midfielder, a central defender, and another striker or goal-hungry attacking midfielder.

And with the start of pre-season training just a week or so away, I reckon that Archie can now probably pick and choose among hundreds of players who are looking for clubs.

OOOPPPs, sorry! This should go into the Transfer Targets thread.

Edited by Jaggernaut

I think things are ticking along nicely, especially on the re-signing front.

Defensively we have 5 players who I think are more than good enough for the SPL. A centre half, who could also play left back would be ideal. Otherwise might need two more.

In midfield probably need a defensive midfielder. Generally looking pretty good there as well.

Think we desperately need a maverick Erskine sort up top if we're sticking with 4-3-3, although Forbes could play there certain games when were more up against it. Riordan would be ideal, if unlikely, and maybe take Imrie. I think we maybe need two wingers cause if lawless struggles we essentially only have Elliott who can play there.

We need, at very least, a centre half as cover, a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder who will score goals, and a pacy striker who we can count on scoring at least ten goals. Pace is crucial so we can stretch the game.

I think cover at left back can come from Bannigan (although he'd be a loss from midfield). And cover at right back can come from McMillan.

I predicted before a ball was kick last year that O'Donnell would be the most improved player, I've got a feeling it might be Christie Elliott next year...

Riordan would be ideal

Totally agree but only on a pay as you play basis initially. The guy is mega talented but there is something missing up top and thats obviously why he isnt getting any offers. Pay as you play means we can ditch him if he aint trying or becoming disruptive. Cant remember what player it was discussing him on Sportsound a few weeks ago but they said he is a great guy and great in the dressing room but unfortunately has a lot of headbanger mates and is easily led!!

Edited by Lindau

We're fine for goalkeepers.

Right-back we're well covered with SOD likely to be the first choice if we're playing with 4 at the back and McMillan aswell. If both are out then Welsh and Muirhead can fill in. Left-back we have enough IMO. Sinclair will be the first-choice and McMillan can play there too - as can Bannigan but only if the other 2 are out. We need another 2 CBs, preferably both left-sided. At the moment we only have two so I presume another one will be high on Archie's list. Yes, McMillan played well against Raith last season at CB but I wouldn't be comfortable with him being the first choice back-up.

A defensive midfielder is something we desperately need. Stuart Kettlewell would've been my preferred player to bring in but he's signed a new contract with County. We could do with another box-to-box/attacking midfielder too but I wouldn't make that a priority just now.

In the wide positions we probably need another 2 players. At the moment we only have Lawless and Elliot. Lawless will be a starter but I don't think Elliot will be - or at least not at the beginning of the season. Forbes, Bannigan and Welsh could play as the wide players of a midfield 4 but I don't think Welsh or Forbes would be impressive as the wide one of a front 3 - Bannigan would do okay but I'd rather him in the middle.

We need another striker. Just now we only have Doolan, Baird and McGuigan. I'd loan out McGuigan for the first half of the season, preferably to a SFL1 team (Dumbarton maybe, they'll be looking to replace Lister). I wouldn't be keen on him going to Albion Rovers again because if we need him in the scond half of the season we'll be asking him to go from SFL3 to the SPL. We definitely need a target-man type player who could hold the ball up. John Sutton or Lee Miller would be ideal but I don't see that happening.

If we stick with the same formation as we played most of last season I'd say we'd be going with:

Fox

O'Donnell Muirhead Balatoni Sinclair

Forbes/Welsh New Bannigan

Lawless Doolan/New New

I reckon we'll play 3-5-2 at times aswell so:

Fox

Balatoni Muirhead McMillan/New

O'Donnell------------------------------------Sinclair

Welsh/Forbes New Bannigan

With the forwards we would have a few options. If we were away to Celtic or someone else at the top then I'd go with Doolan/New with Lawless floating about. Or we could go with any combination of Doolan, New and Baird.

In my mind the most important further signing should be a defensive midfielder. We may have to go over budget on this one as he'll need a bit of pace as well. Just feel that if this position is filled by a quality player Archie can then compensate by signing one or two low rent players with potential.

In addition.with such a young defence bringing in a quality holding midfielder would be good for confidence. Same sort of thinking that was behind the Shug Murray signing this time last year.

In my mind the most important further signing should be a defensive midfielder. We may have to go over budget on this one as he'll need a bit of pace as well. Just feel that if this position is filled by a quality player Archie can then compensate by signing one or two low rent players with potential.

In addition.with such a young defence bringing in a quality holding midfielder would be good for confidence. Same sort of thinking that was behind the Shug Murray signing this time last year.

I agree. Had heard somewhere that Archie reckoned we could improve on Paton for similar budget. It's an important position, especially as I think Bannigan, Welsh and Forbes are all better players when they have a bit of freedom to get forward.