Gateshead

Firhillista

The only time I'll worry about Boulding is if we actually sign him. I do get the impression that we'll offer Kerr a deal, maybe that Spanish boy too. Result really doesn't matter. Not even 1%. First game back is all about the fitness and looking at new players. Christie Elliott had an absolute stormer of a pre-season last year.

Wasn't there but Boulding not the worst. Frozen out by Shiels after fall out at Killie then went short term up at Scumdee Utd.

Bearing in mind he's still reasonably young & would be back up behind Doolan & Baird he could be worth a punt.

This time last year he had scored for fun in 1st Div with Livi & had people fighting for his signature, bit like Lyle Taylor last season.

Learned a long time ago not to take note of pre-season. That was especially true during Gerry Collins short tenure.

I remember us at Ayr Utd. Young French lad named Anis, ex Celtic winger playing well in front of him by name of Bonnes & a goal machine called Andy Thomson.

My memory a bit hazy after that though!! :)

Edited by Trotter
  • Like 1

Bearing in mind he's still reasonably young & would be back up behind Doolan & Baird he could be worth a punt.

For our final striker addition (assuming there will only be one more), we should be aiming for a starter, not back-up. The way I see it we've got #1 Doolan, #2 Baird, #3 McGuigan. We shouldn't be looking for a #3, we should be after a #1 or #2. In simplest terms, that's how I see it.

We require a couple of players to replace Paton and Erskine

None of the triallists showed up today

Some of us in the crowd are concerned at the lack of attacking flair

Lets hope and prey Archie has identified the required payers and we go and get a couple in to sort the weaknesses

Did the referee really stop the game after 27 mins for a drinks break? Or did I dream that bit? Whole game a bit of a haze to be honest.

At least I made it home, unlike the three Jags fans taken off the train at Newcastle by the law after refusing to leave the first class carriage.

Been watching pre season friendlies for long enough to pity a trialist striker. I'm never really sure what they have to do to impress. Score goals I suppose but that's not easy if they don't get any service, which invariably happens in friendlies.

Thought the Spanish lad looked good but I'm not too sure exactly where he'll fit in. Obviously creative but it didn't look like he has much dig. Kerr on the few occasions he came forward was OK. I suppose he's playing as a trialist more to show his fitness level as opposed to his ability

I know it's always contentious but I don't think the plastic pitch helped. A wee breeze today but that shouldn't have had much effect but I thought the high bounce of the pitch was rather unnatural.

Btw I can't mind seeing professional footballers playing any level of a game without corner flags. Weird.

While pre season friendlies are a good way of sizing up the squad and trialists they tend not to mean a lot, however I remember last season where we played some not to bad opposition (sellik, Everton etc) and won a wee trophy pre season, this helped us immensely in the confidence department and set us up for what turned out to be a good wee season - Yes ?

While pre season friendlies are a good way of sizing up the squad and trialists they tend not to mean a lot, however I remember last season where we played some not to bad opposition (sellik, Everton etc) and won a wee trophy pre season, this helped us immensely in the confidence department and set us up for what turned out to be a good wee season - Yes ?

Played Alloa on their plastic pitch 10th July last season. I don't think we played any better that evening. You're right tho' about the ARR Craib. We were so far ahead in match fitness compared to previous seasons. Helped us get off to a flyer in the league.

From a match point of view it was from ideal playing three trialsts in midfield in the 2nd half. Obviously there's priorities and checking out possible new signings is going to be paramount but I was rather disappointed in the game after Archie had kinda built the match up somewhat.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett