Flannigan Signed

Third Lanark

Back on topic.

Since he apparently can play in any midfield position (though supposedly best playng wide) that's an important aspect considering the thinnness of our squad.

That gives us two players now - Erskine and Flannigan - who can play as proper wide midfielders/wingers. I don't see the youth games, do we have a potential good winger or just generic (if good) midfielders?

MacBeth as central mid, looks possibly the best of the U19's and Bannigan plays wide left. Both need to bulk up considerably but there is promise there.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back on topic.

Since he apparently can play in any midfield position (though supposedly best playng wide) that's an important aspect considering the thinnness of our squad.

That gives us two players now - Erskine and Flannigan - who can play as proper wide midfielders/wingers. I don't see the youth games, do we have a potential good winger or just generic (if good) midfielders?

I wouldn't get too carried away on this. I've seen nothing from Flannigan to suggest in any way he can play as a winger. He will I'm sure put in good crosses. I think he'll play much the way Hodge on the other wing tried to play on Saturday. I just don't expect he'll get caught in possession or deliver the hospital passes like what BH is prone to do.

From what I've seen of IF he'll see a lot of the ball, probably be asked to play right mid but he may be more effective on the left cutting in :unsure: . Obviously having only seen him in friendlies I've no idea how good a tackler he is. Seems physical enough but good tackling would be a real bonus.

so lets get this straight brown mcmaster

doesn't like the way Hughes,and cowan are running ptfc and has the guts to stand up and say ,

enough is enough I'm out of here

he walks out on a club he supported all his life

and gets pelters from the fans who

at the same time want Hughes and cowan out the club.

Is this a poem?

Do not like this mentality at all.

I kind of agree with you, though I suppose it depends what you mean by "bulk up". I'd say Bannigan needs to bulk up (saw him come on as sub recently) as he is thin as a rake but MacBeth looks strong enough. You don't need to look like a wrestler to be strong enough in a football game. Some guys have a wiry strength.

Probably both will need more the extra strength (while staying mobile and quick) that full time training and a good diet can provide that will enable them to last in games and over the season.

Do not like this mentality at all.

why ? Both are young lads. Bannigan in particular looks very lightweight, as does Kieron Burns. Building up some body muscle (while retaining their obvious pace) will benefit the lads in the modern game. Not wanting the lads to resemble wrestlers but building up their strength will be a key part to their success. Same applies to all the U19's but im sure sid and jackie will work on that as well as honing the skills the lads have.

Welcome Iain. I hope this doesn't signal the end of McBeth's involvement in the first team on a regular basis.

I hope it actually means Macbeth gets more involvement in his preferred position of CM. More competition there I guess, with Cairney, Rowson and Hodge, but given that effectively means he's replacing McKeown from last year's squad he should still be knocking at the door if fit.

Ditto

From reading McCall's comments yesterday I think he plans to use Iain on the right side of Midfield. I too share the view that I hope Ryan keeps his place in the side , certainly did enough on saturday against Clyde to keep the jersey for Annan.

We certainly are starting to get a bit of competition in the midfield.

I think, if people are being honest, they'd probably say our strongest starting midfield four features Erskine, Cairney, Rowson and Flannigan.

MacBeth's a precocious talent and shouldn't be rushed or forced into the team purely because he's a product of our system.

I'd be happy to see the lad make a few sub appearances as the season begins and, should he make an impact during them, work him way into the starting line up.

Has he been played specifically on the right during his trial stint? I only saw him at St. Andrews. He started at centre mid, but continually drifted out. Looks capable of holding on to the ball and has a cracking free kick on him. Pleased with this.

Good point, I'm sure he played on the left against Dumbarton.

I think, if people are being honest, they'd probably say our strongest starting midfield four features Erskine, Cairney, Rowson and Flannigan.

MacBeth's a precocious talent and shouldn't be rushed or forced into the team purely because he's a product of our system.

I'd be happy to see the lad make a few sub appearances as the season begins and, should he make an impact during them, work him way into the starting line up.

Inclined to agree, but I'd qualify it by saying that Cairney off form, or a bit unfit occasionally borders on being a liability, and you need someone able to step in when that happens.

I've yet to see Flannigan, but I wouldn't argue with your pick of the midfield. also fully agree with your view on MacBeth. I would, however, start MacBeth on Saturday. Mainly because his confidence will be sky high just now after his goal against Clyde.

Hey we are agreeing...........and to think the league season hasn't started yet !! LOL.

Got a feeling that McCall also plans to play McNamara often enough in midfield and probably from a starting role. I make it six others (seven if you include Bannigan) also competing for midfield places. Really want to see a settled team throughout the season but that's going be difficult to maintain with what on face value looks like genuine competition in midfield.

I think if our strongest midfield includes Erskine, then we are doomed before a ball is kicked.

I wonder how we'll line up when Jaggy Mac is fully fit as McCall has said he will be playing centre mid.

Two players for every place, playing to the same system, has got to be the aspiration. This means 8 midfielders.

Not having 4 players twiddling their thumbs every week has to be a better asperation.

Having a manager that can adapt tactics to suit the available players in a small squad would also be a good asperation.

We don't have the finances to have 2 players for every position

Who would you play on the left?

Or is the case you'd play a narrow midfield three, or a five-man midfield with Boyle and Paton as wing backs?

Don't you know? Erskine was a Junior before joining us so it's absolutely impossible that he might actually be a reasonable footballer. FACT. Am I right or am I right, Grant? :P

I think if our strongest midfield includes Erskine, then we are doomed before a ball is kicked.

I wonder how we'll line up when Jaggy Mac is fully fit as McCall has said he will be playing centre mid.

Don't agree with you regards erskine. It was a massive step up for the lad but I think he did not too bad for his first season. Sure he has to up it for this season but surely he should be given the chance to do that ?

I actually forgot bout jackie Mac.

I'm prepared to be shot down but if we can keep everyone fit, I don't think the squad is too bad at all. I'd love us to bring in another proven goal scorer but in all probability that ain't gona happen.