Chris Erskine

DUFCFAN

Hi guys, DUFC fan in peace here, first of all well done on a terrific victory yesterday against the hammer throwers, I know there's a bit of bad blood between our clubs just now but I certainly wish you all the best this season. (Except against us)

On topic though, can anyone delineate the bright side of Chris Erskine for me, I've seen him play 4 times for us so far and each time he's looked dreadful. I've seen milk turn quicker than him and it seems as if his second touch is always a tackle, I've yet to see him take the ball past a player and he really seem's to break up our attacks more than he adds to them. Hope he can prove me wrong but I've seen nothing from him yet to suggest he'll be a good signing for us. Although he was very poor yesterday, I think the fans that cheered his substitution were an absolute disgrace, really hope he prove me wrong and I know you guys rate him highly, just hope his confidence isn't shot to pieces by some of the idiots in our support.

Edited by DUFCFAN

He does things like that.

He can be slow, he can miscontrol the ball countless times a game, misplace loads of passes, look like the most incredibly awkward player ever and then he pulls an absolute moment of magic out of the bag that justifies the entrance fee alone. Booing or abusing him won't affect him in the slighest, he got it in the neck for a couple of seasons at least from a section of our support.

I can't say I'll be too disappointed if he ends up a failure and comes home but I really can't see him failing.

Hi guys, DUFC fan in peace here, first of all well done on a terrific victory yesterday against the hammer throwers, I know there's a bit of bad blood between our clubs just now but I certainly wish you all the best this season. (Except against us)

On topic though, can anyone delineate the bright side of Chris Erskine for me, I've seen him play 4 times for us so far and each time he's looked dreadful. I've seen milk turn quicker than him and it seems as if his second touch is always a tackle, I've yet to see him take the ball past a player and he really seem's to break up our attacks more than he adds to them. Hope he can prove me wrong but I've seen nothing from him yet to suggest he'll be a good signing for us. Although he was very poor yesterday, I think the fans that cheered his substitution were an absolute disgrace, really hope he prove me wrong and I know you guys rate him highly, just hope his confidence isn't shot to pieces by some of the idiots in our support.

For a small fee we can take him off your hands, squiddy is a great player, frustrating one minute completely unplayable at others

You are welcome to keep Paton and Jackie though

• Like 1

I think we had a formation and style of play last season that allowed Chris a freedom to excell. Outwith last season, where he was great on a regular basis, Chris often had games where nothing would work and it took patience from our fans and management.

I think a large difference is the quality of defence in the SPFL don't allow him the space to turn and run at them. This is really where he is most effective. A player like him thrives of confidence and if he isn't getting that from united then perhaps he will never flourish.

I was about to say he needs time to adjust to the top tier but on reflection all our players stepped up instantly so that is no excuse.

Wish him all the best but I think a team needs to be built around him but the quality of other attacking options at united wont allow for this.

After he scores a couple goals for you, I'm sure some minds will be changed.

He does things like that.

Precise stuff.

He can spend 89 minutes of a game falling over his own feet or passing to the opposition, but in the other minute he can do something sublime. So many times I've been sitting utterly exasperated at him, and then he'll produce a moment of magic that turns a game.

I do think a lot of people were wondering how he would adjust to the Premiership, and I think it might take a little time for him to get up to speed. Will the Arabs give him that time? I don't know, especially if you're giving him hard lines in his first game at Tannadice. At Firhill, we'd have given him far more patience -- but not the money he's on now. Will he last as long as McNamara in Dundee? Who knows.

• Like 1

Like others have said, he can be infuriating for 89 minutes and then win a game with a single piece of magic. Give him time & support. One thing about him (and Paton as well) he gives 100%, always looks for the ball and never hides even when things aren't going for him

Hi, DUFCFAN. PotM beat me to it. I personally think his confidence is suspect. Last season was probably Chris's first where his head didn't go down if he was playing poorly and the number of times he contributed later on the game backs that up. I feel stepping up a league he'll return to what he was like earlier with us and McNamara will have to sub or bench him to protect his confidence.

Erskine should've stayed with us where we would've been less critical when things don't come off. His stock would've gone up and he would've probably gone on to play for a bigger club.

Unless McNamara becomes a respected manager at your club, Erskine will suffer by association. Chris doesn't have the ego or arrogance of many players his inferior. That could normally be a benefit to his club but only if he's given some time and latitude to prove his worth. Not sure your lot will have the patience.

• Like 1

Erskine is frustrating to watch for 89 mins a game. But almost every time he produced one minute of magic that helped us score or win a game. Dont expect 90 minutes of class, he doesn't have that. But the one minute he has is worth waiting for.

The problem is that you can't get away with 89 minutes of frustration in the Premiership. As Chris found out yesterday, you can get subbed before getting the chance to produce that key moment of magic.

Defenders are quicker and tougher so you don't get as much time on the ball. The first touch must the one to get you past the defender and the second must be a shot, a good cross or a telling pass.

The other factor is the support of the fans. Chris got that in abundance at Firhill and his confidence soared. At Tannadice, the boo boys are on his back already. The OP is right to be concerned.

Took him a while to settle in here. He's an enigma. Brilliant and frustrating. Last year was his most consistent and he scored some very important goals.

He had time to 'grow' into a Thistle player. Not sure whether he will get as much time with you. I suspect that you are unsure of McNamara so therefore his signings are under a lot of pressure too. I hope it works out for Chris.

You have my sympathy. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it is clear to me that we would have struggled to get promotion with McNamara. Terrible away form. We turned it around after he left and won it at a canter with a difficult run in, during which Paton was injured. So you are welcome to those two.

• Like 2

I personally don't think McNamara knows how to play Erskine to get the best from him. He always subbed him after 70/80 mins and therefore I think the pressure was on him to produce in less time. When Archie took over he got the full 90 mins and often it took the 89th minute to produce that piece of magic from nowhere!!

Watch our highlights reel on the official site from last year and you will be surprised actually how many times Erskine was involved in so many goals.

McN will crumble under pressure and I just hope it doesn't ruin one of the best players in the league.

Come home CHRIS !!!!

• Like 1

Erskine is a lesson in patience for a football fan. One I certainly had to learn.

I used to give him pelters as you could see that he had all the skill in the world but when he first arrived, 90% of the time there was no end product (cross or shot).

However, as time progressed, he added these things to his game to the point where he was the team's talisman last season, winning games almost single handed with some off the cuff piece of magic.

I was gutted when he left and although I have no love for DUFC, I really hope he does well up there.

Paton, on the other hand...

The game against Airdrie at the end of last season where we scored 2 in the last 4 minutes to beat Airdrie and all but win the league he came on at 1-0 Airdrie and absolutely changed the game. Ik how some united fans feel however. Took me untill last year to like him. However you have someone there who , when no one else in the team has showed up, can single handedly win you matches. Be patient and he'll deliver.

he gives 100%, always looks for the ball and never hides even when things aren't going for him

This.

That's why he was my PoTY last year.

Agree with others though when they say Archibald got more out him last season than JM.

He definitely carried the forward line for a few weeks after Archie took charge. The goal vs Airdrie at home when their on loan keeper was having a stormer best example.

Time will tell but if you're patient then genuinely think Erskine will be a success for you.

It's JM's away tactics & the lack of a left foot for Paton when passing or tackling should be of a bigger concern rather than if Chris will come good.

Feel free to send him home though! :)

No chance - 3 year deal. We offered to match DUFC's wages but Chris chose to move.

Keep calm and carry on supporting those who stayed with us.

Patons Archie was given the option to match (Said he could get a better player for less, and he did) , Erskines wasnt offered from what I read

Edited by Norgethistle

Cheers for the replies guys, I hope he can pull something off soon as I doubt our fans will show him the patience he possibly needs. I genuinely felt sorry for him as he went off to that reaction as while he didn't show much quality he did show plenty of endeavour in the first half before going into his shell when the fans started getting on his back. He did win the ball with a great tackle that looked impossible to pull off, only problem being that he passed the ball to a Caley player straight away.

Regarding Jackie though, I'm undecided on him, he got a free pass when we had an abysmal run of form at the end of last season due to it being Houstie's team but so far this season we've looked extremely disjointed. He seemingly let Flood go and passed up the chance to sign Andy Webster because he didn't like their attitudes, this stings a bit because they're both top quality SPL players and I personally couldn't care less what they're like behind the scenes as long as they do the business on the park. The thing that's really worrying me about him is the fact that he doesn't seem to know what system to play or the players to play it, this should have been sorted in pre-season. He talks a good game but I'm yet to see any progress under him.

Cheers for the replies guys, I hope he can pull something off soon as I doubt our fans will show him the patience he possibly needs. I genuinely felt sorry for him as he went off to that reaction as while he didn't show much quality he did show plenty of endeavour in the first half before going into his shell when the fans started getting on his back. He did win the ball with a great tackle that looked impossible to pull off, only problem being that he passed the ball to a Caley player straight away.

Regarding Jackie though, I'm undecided on him, he got a free pass when we had an abysmal run of form at the end of last season due to it being Houstie's team but so far this season we've looked extremely disjointed. He seemingly let Flood go and passed up the chance to sign Andy Webster because he didn't like their attitudes, this stings a bit because they're both top quality SPL players and I personally couldn't care less what they're like behind the scenes as long as they do the business on the park. The thing that's really worrying me about him is the fact that he doesn't seem to know what system to play or the players to play it, this should have been sorted in pre-season. He talks a good game but I'm yet to see any progress under him.

We were a good First Division side under McNamara last season, well, at home we were. He didn't set the team up any differently for away games and we suffered, big time. When he left, I feared the worst.

It couldn't wave worked out better for us. We have a clever manager, are unbeaten in twenty league games and the players have stepped up a league confidently.

If McNamara hadn't left we would still be a good First Division side.

• Like 3

We were a good First Division side under McNamara last season, well, at home we were. He didn't set the team up any differently for away games and we suffered, big time. When he left, I feared the worst.

It couldn't wave worked out better for us. We have a clever manager, are unbeaten in twenty league games and the players have stepped up a league confidently.

If McNamara hadn't left we would still be a good First Division side.

Didn't realise you were unbeaten in 20, that's impressive, Archie seem's a decent guy, was probably one of our better players in the McCall years (Shiver), solid if unspectacular.

I still have faith that Jackie'll be a good appointment but that's being tested more and more with each passing game, Hibs next week is a big game for us now, if we can't beat them I think a lot of our fans will have serious doubts as to whether Jackie's the man to take us forward.

Edited by DUFCFAN

Didn't realise you were unbeaten in 20, that's impressive, Archie seem's a decent guy, was probably one of our better players in the McCall years (Shiver), solid if unspectacular.

I still have faith that Jackie'll be a good appointment but that's being tested more and more with each passing game, Hibs next week is a big game for us now, if we can't beat them I think a lot of our fans will have serious doubts as to whether Jackie's the man to take us forward.

You'll be hoping Fenlon doesn't get the boot this week then!??

Hibs next week is a big game for us now

I doubt you'll have any trouble beating them at the moment ... I'm not too clear on what exactly the Houston situation was, would you have preferred he stayed? How do you think Paton's doing?

All in all we ended up with the best possible deal I think; a true Thistle legend in charge of us who could rise to Messiah status if he continues in the same vein. It's lose-lose for United however - if McNamara does well he'll scamper off at the first tempting 'bigger' club (*cough* Celtic *cough*), or it could be w rough old time if he doesn't.