Stewards Re Disabled

les

I am registered disabled the jackie husband stand was getting increasingly difficult fir me to get to so got permission to bring my two 14/15 year old boys in to the north stand. Like every game I get hassle . Today was awful the hassle . Il go over a few points as I'd be here all day . I was to sit with the Aberdeen fans even tho iv sat 4 rows up to left of goal for the past year ( insinuated if I can get up 4 rows then who knows he's only got my word that I'm disabled didn't know he was a trained orthopediac surgeon ) how dare he! I take stronger drugs than morphine i wear a pelvis brace and two knee splints to get there!! They would not let my son in who is my carer because his season ticket had jackie husband on it. I had to ask someone I hardly knew to sit with me and help me back to my car! Apparently the police who have never once questioned me are making the rules. And 50 people a game come up and ask why I'm in with the boys! He also insinuated I could have hacked in to Ian maxwells e mail account and sent myself the e mail confirming I have permission to be there. Iv had it up to here how dare this person question me in this way. Iv permission from the club end if story ' I feel this has just come to some personal petty vendetta now. Yes I sometimes get in a panic when I'm in and my boys are stuck out side with awAy fans or vice versa tell me a parent who doesn't. And as I have permission to be there I should not have to go through this!!! Sorry for the rant and spelling etc. but I'm so angry !!!!!!

Hi Les,

This sounds awful. So you actually produced an email from Ian Maxwell and the steward questioned its veracity? I hope someone from the club is reading this, as we have both a moral and legal duty to ensure disabled fans are not only provided access but, like all fans, are treated with dignity and respect.

S.

Yes I had an e mail from Ian. But apparently after a year of me being in the north stand with the boys and other disabled fans Ian does not have the authority to let me in. I really struggle and take way to many drugs to get there on match day I'm a bit on a high at the start but the drugs wear off and I'm stiff and in agony by the end of the game. He actually questioned my disability. Iv a disabled season ticket ehich I had to produce proof to get. But every game it's the same. Also made up a load of lies That im supposed to sit over with the away fans iv never done this once!! My problems are physical not mental. I can feel many many complaint emails to any one who will listen lol. In so feckin mad thus guy embarrassed me in front of other fans. Club need to get its act together we are supposed to be trying to attract fans not put them off. The boys were really upset

As a disabled supporter myself I would be absolutely appalled and exceedingly angry were I to be mistreated like that anywhere, let alone Firhill. Unfortunately, I am not entirely surprised, I think the main reason for the prevalence of these attitudes is that some clubs and I would certainly include ours seem to view ensuring equal access to be a favour on the part of the club, rather than as the previous poster put it their moral AND legal responsibility

. Have you raised the matter with the Scottish Disabled Supporters Association. If you haven't PM me and I'll get back to you when I get back home on TUESDAY.

Yes I had an e mail from Ian. But apparently after a year of me being in the north stand with the boys and other disabled fans Ian does not have the authority to let me in. I really struggle and take way to many drugs to get there on match day I'm a bit on a high at the start but the drugs wear off and I'm stiff and in agony by the end of the game. He actually questioned my disability. Iv a disabled season ticket ehich I had to produce proof to get. But every game it's the same. Also made up a load of lies That im supposed to sit over with the away fans iv never done this once!! My problems are physical not mental. I can feel many many complaint emails to any one who will listen lol. In so feckin mad thus guy embarrassed me in front of other fans. Club need to get its act together we are supposed to be trying to attract fans not put them off. The boys were really upset

I think the 'newer' stewards are a bit drunk on the power that a high viz jacket brings. I'm sorry a fellow Jag has been treated so badly, especially after all the effort you go thru to get to firhill Les.

On the flip side, was treated so well by Brian who went out his way to make it clear to me of the support available to me should I need it in my first game back after serious brain surgery. So a thanks goes out to him.

The problem(s) you highlight will persist if the disabled access is not improved at Firhill. A problem that Thistle have faced for a number of years. Simple respect and politeness tho is something stewards need to adopt towards customers. It costs nothing and, especially at Firhill, we ain't a bunch of hooligans. Hope you get treated better in the future Les.

Edited by Scamps

Shocked and disgusted by this, but seems that the stewards (Sporting Solutions employees I believe) believe they run the club not our General Manager, If you have a disabled ST and a letter from Maxi, that should be it, the only question you should be getting is do you need any more help gettin to or from your seat.

I would write to the club, they need to be informed of this

Sorry posted that twice. Yes I'm pretty much left under no illusions in there as a favour. But why is it a favour. I'm a jags fan who is disabled who wants to sit with my kids. No way am I sending my boys over to the jackie husband stand to sit there selves ! Thank you still resigned I may get in contact with you if you don't mind. Iv alway for peace just said thank you for the favour . But NO it's not s favour letting a disabled fan and their kids sit together in a specially designated space for disabled fans. You know wen I said I sit (at great effort) about four rows to the left of goal so I can see and iv nearly been hit by balls too many times I was told sit in grit row behind goal don't see a thing or take my chances Not his problem he told me.

Oh so they are not actually employed directly by the club? This guy just made up so many stories it was shamefully. 50 people come up to him every game to complain about my boys being in the north stand. I'm sure most fans would b fine if they knew why. They will be getting an e mail also. How the hell do I feel safe with three teenage boys in the away stand. I just can't calm down with this tonight. Really angry disapointed and disgusted.

I was sitting down the front of the North stand in the sun in the second half and the view is pretty hopeless. I was thinking that its even worse for the folk that are in wheelchairs sitting on ground level. It would only cost a few grand to remove a few seats and put a ramp a few rows up into the stand for our disabled fans to get a decent view. Maybe a bit too sensible for our directors.

• Like 1

Les's account of the attitude of the stewards is dismal reading. I would also suggest that Les send an email and PM to Jim Alexander/Jordanhill Jag to ensure that One Thistle are aware of his problems.

Ian Maxwell, as General Manger must have the authority to rule that he and his sons can sit together in the North Stand, even if it means issuing additional season tickets. If he does not have the authority, who does - David Beattie? Sporting Solutions' staff should report to him as he surely has legal obligations on security and safety etc as the club's General Manager. He should issue specific instructions on how to accommodate and help disabled fans and their accompanying friends/relatives.

I would expect that SPFL/Premiership clubs are required to have a disabled policy as part of their membership requirements. The SFA could also have disabled access in its licence conditions. If Les fails to get the matter resolved, he should write and complain to those authorities.

Yeah the view is awful. Well I had to sit bottom row behind goals with up to three stewards standing in front of me yesterday . I explained about view and being hit by ball I was told it was not his problem. The following me to my seat and getting uncomfortably close to me to the pount i had to ask him to move back was in my opinion sheer intimidation . in saying that maybe my bad view not such a bad thing given the result yesterday lol.

I'm sure Ian maxwell will be pleased to know this guy thinks he had no right or power to arrange this other wise helpfully arrangement Without his permission. You have no idea the nonsense that was coming out the guys mouth. Lucky I have a impartial witness Who has agreed to back up this sorry story. If anyone from the club is reading this feel free to contact me

I believe this is a bigger problem than just a couple (or more) stewards. Thistle's treatment of disabled spectators, like many football clubs around the country, is appalling.

Fans have a right, no matter what their physical condition, to access the stadium safely and as comfortably as possible. The club have a legal duty to provide safe access and in my view a moral duty to provide comfortable accomodation during the time the fans are in the stadium. So often football clubs (and many other organisations) look on disabled customers as a nuiscance to be accomodated with as little effort or thought as possible. If the club puts the area for disabled fans in the North Stand then they must ensure that it is accessible. If someone needs carers to accompany then then those carers must be allowed to go in that same stand. If someone needs space for a wheelchair then that space must be accessible and suitable, not just stuck anywhere thet no-one else would want to be. In the same way if a disabled fan wishes his family to go with him/her then they must be allowed access to a family area.

I work in an organisation providing support for disabled adults and recently one of my colleagues has been looking into access at various football grounds around the Glasgow area. None of them are perfect and some are a downright disgrace. Thistle is probably somewhere in the middle but that is nothing to be proud of!

This is situation which is too common in public spaces throughout this country. Access is something that needs to be addressed but as most able-bodied people don't usually care, will it?

Edited by scotty

I am extremely distressed by what I have read. I have emailed Ian, this morning, urging him to view this topic. I hope that he will be able to get to the bottom of this and ensure that the family are properly treated in future and are able to enjoy the most comfortable view possible under the painful circumstances that Les has to endure.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the hassle you are receiving from the stewards les. One thing that I did notice yesterday was, when Aberdeen were doing the shooting practice a few times a couple of disabled supporters at the front were very nearly ko'd with balls. The stewards just stood and watched and did nothing, then Jim Leighton stood in front of the supporters and protected them from the flying balls. Personally I think this is unacceptable, the club have a duty of care to every fan that enters their ground and placing disabled fans that cannot protect themselves in direct line of flying balls is unacceptable. If this is the only place that disabled fans can be placed in the north stand, then the club still have a duty of care to them and should be providing safety to them, ie stewards blocking the balls.

Sorry for the wee rant.

This is an absolute disgrace. As already said, stewards should be asking how they can help when encountered with a disabled fan (or any fan for that matter). It seems that all fans, and especially disabled fans are just seen as an inconvenience. From their perspective I guess they imagine the matchday would go so much better without any fans at all.

Im I sorry Ian will get the brunt of this. Ian has been very helpful arranging this and is nothing but helpful and pleasant to me It makes things so much easier for me. The access it great I get dropped off right out side . My issue is with this particular steward who takes it upon himself to comment and harass me about it most games . Iv got permission , iv shown him the e mail they have radioed back to confirm. So why have an opinion he's a steward not running the club . Then question my disability because i try to get up four rows , question my integrity (though I should prob be flattered I look like a genius hacker lol) regarding the authenticity if Ian's e mail . I will be e mailing the club my self regarding the stewards as u would presume they know nothing about yesterday and have been very helpful in facilitating this arrangement for me. Just a pity the stewards don't take their employers requests seriously . Iv seen others harassed re other things, something has to be done about this

I know they're probably on not much more than the min wage, but these alleged stewards need to understand that they're breaching the Equality Act jeopardising themselves, their employer and, vicariously, PTFC.

Eventually a claim will be made against one of the perpetrators and there will be more than one loser. All our disabled fans must - as has been stated above - be treated with the utmost respect and dignity at ALL times; anything short of that brings our club into serious disrepute.

Besides the legalities, to have the stewards go out their way to assist our deserving disabled fans enjoy their match day experience is surely the only moral way for them to go about their paid employment. You'd have thought so anyway.

• Like 1

I am extremely saddened to hear of this case and an equally distressing case involving disabled Aberdeen supporters and frankly I feel it is well past the time when we disabled fans were happy having our tummies rubbed and recieving platitudes from the clubs. In this regard Ithink it imperative that we dosabled sipporters form our own branch of theScottish Disabled Supporters Association. I`m sure Keith Ferguson of the S.D.S.A. has been in contact with some of our disabled supporters, and Ipropose all people interested in forming duch a branch PM me or if such a branch exists I`d be hlad to.hear from it. However, thinking back to my conversation with Keith, I think he wanted to start one and was on the outlook for members. Rest assured, I am not particularly excited about being head honcho. of said branch. It`s just that I feel its time to stand ip for ourselves. Besides, I`m well aware that Ian Maxwell is personally sympathetic, but I suspect the club to be at best blissfully unaware of the real difficulties faced ny our disabled support

• Like 2

It's horrible to hear such stories from people who have to make far more of an effort to go and support the team than those of us who take for granted simply walking up the road and through the turnstiles.

I hope les gets a response from the club. It wasn't too long ago that Dunfermline disabled fans were having to complain about the club after an unpleasant experience at Firhill. I hope the club can learn from this and finally someone takes notice of some of the legitimate complaints about the company who operate the stewards at the stadium.

• Like 1

I also know that your boys often get knocked back at the turnstiles for being under 16 and I understand your frustration as you have said this happens every week. From the stile operator's view; they are told not to allow any under 16s into the North Stand. The operators have not been informed by Ian Maxwell about this arrangement and I think this is the main problem. Better communication between the office and the guys on the front line would help a lot.

I understand juju. The turnstile operators are not my issue. It's when I have to call this individual over to explain to them we are allowed in. He starts with his nonsense about I should not be in there and Ian maxwell has no right to make that decision then tries to put me in with the away fans for my safety. Me and three teenage boys ? That's not safe . We have in occasions still been denied access even when reluctantly said steward as told them we are allowed in ! He's even got to say something sarky to the turnstile person ! I'm sick to the back teeth and Saturday was just the last straw. I'm stressed out and spent the day in bed due to a flare up which can be brought about with stress. I won't be going to the game in Saturday I just can't face round 20