Stewards Re Disabled

les

What the previous exchanges reveal rather succinctly is that it is exceedingly difficult to design facilities for the generic disabled supporter, without some input from the disabled supporters themselves. Obviously, the club cannot de expected to re-design Firhill to accomadate individually each disabled supporter, but surely it would not be unreasonable for there to be a forum in which a frank exchange of views could take place. In my experience reasonable adjustments can be made, that do not entail a huge out lay of cash, more significantly they often rely on changes of attitudes and appreciation of the individual disabled persons difficulties.

Iv sent an e mail to Ian. Ian is my point of contact and feel I owe it to him to try sort this out first Iv had a reply that he id looking in to it and will get back to me ASAP My arrangement with the club suits me perfectly. As iv said iv went from missing lots if games to missing hardly any . It's the attitude if one or two stewards who seem to resent this. Apart from the Aberdeen supporters not getting g refreshments I'm not sure of other problems or solutions. Think most people are happy to be in with other supporters and not cordoned off in a wee section . But I can't speak for everyone so on a separate issue a disabled fans forum / group might be a good idea

What the previous exchanges reveal rather succinctly is that it is exceedingly difficult to design facilities for the generic disabled supporter, without some input from the disabled supporters themselves. Obviously, the club cannot de expected to re-design Firhill to accomadate individually each disabled supporter, but surely it would not be unreasonable for there to be a forum in which a frank exchange of views could take place. In my experience reasonable adjustments can be made, that do not entail a huge out lay of cash, more significantly they often rely on changes of attitudes and appreciation of the individual disabled persons difficulties.

I've liked a couple of suggestions so far... Like there should be a row of stewards protecting disabled fans from shots, until Rab said he wished the stewards would get out his way!

Or there should be a Perspex screen put up. Forgetting the fact that it rains for 80% of our season and visibility through the screen would be shit.

I've liked a couple of suggestions so far... Like there should be a row of stewards protecting disabled fans from shots, until Rab said he wished the stewards would get out his way!

Or there should be a Perspex screen put up. Forgetting the fact that it rains for 80% of our season and visibility through the screen would be shit.

Or get the team in for double sessions on shooting :happy2:

Or alternatively the steward should get punted immediately and all other stewards told exactly what they need to do not just for him and his kids but for every paying customer at Firhill.

Exactly right. I get scunnered at the attitude being that we're treated as antisocial miscreants to be controlled rather than customers out to be entertained in a safe manner. It's still rife, despite apparently having learned the lessons from Hillsborough a generation ago. I think it's incumbent on those responsible to treat us all with respect.

• Like 3

Just as a follow up to this; following an email to the Trust on this subject, I've spoken to Maxi and he's on top of this. The main problem in this case seems to have been stewarding not facilities - Les - I hope that its been sorted to your satisfaction.

I understand there are plans approved/ in place to create a new area with the right facilities for disabled supporters which will hopefully be in place for next season (funds etc permitting) - I'm sure the club will announce this when its in a position to do so.

• Like 1

Hope now that you've contacted In Maxwell that it gets sorted for you Les. Fully aware that its an issue with a certain steward, just trying to make the point that it shouldn't put you off the stewards in general as part of their job is health & safety and they should be the guys to help you if you ever needed it (emergency evac, illness etc).

Now iv calmed down and spoke to Ian. We have agreed all stewards will be briefed head steward is aware of the situation. This particular guy will be told just not to communicate with me apart from to tell turnstile operator to let me in. And iv requested a headed letter to make things easier than showing an e mail on my phone. As usual Ian was great some stewards could take a few lessons in customer care from him. Thanks to every one who posted. I really apprecia it Hopefully this will be the end of the problems iv been having. Les

• Like 2

Now iv calmed down and spoke to Ian. We have agreed all stewards will be briefed head steward is aware of the situation. This particular guy will be told just not to communicate with me apart from to tell turnstile operator to let me in. And iv requested a headed letter to make things easier than showing an e mail on my phone. As usual Ian was great some stewards could take a few lessons in customer care from him. Thanks to every one who posted. I really apprecia it Hopefully this will be the end of the problems iv been having. Les

Stick a post on here, Les, to let us know how you get on tomorrow. Just because folk haven't commented on this thread, or like myself only made a general comment, doesn't mean to say we're disinterested on what happened to you. Fingers crossed everything goes fine tomorrow :thumbsup2:

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

If improved disabled facilities are on the agenda for next season but subject to finances, how about fundraising for this at home games. My awareness of this issue has been raised by Les' plight. I would happily put my hand in my pocket to help ensure ALL Thistle fans are able to turn up and watch great football without hindrance or undue discomfort. Let's show we care for each other by making this happen.

Im not going to the match tomorrow i jyst cant face it , im going to wait untill im sure everyone has been briefed and i have my letter confirming im allowed in With the boys and I'm still in the middle of a huge flare up I think due to stress of Saturday . Hopefully il make the hibs game But il certainly keep everyone up to date. Thanks all

If improved disabled facilities are on the agenda for next season but subject to finances, how about fundraising for this at home games. My awareness of this issue has been raised by Les' plight. I would happily put my hand in my pocket to help ensure ALL Thistle fans are able to turn up and watch great football without hindrance or undue discomfort. Let's show we care for each other by making this happen.

Agree but feel this is the very thing that the Jags Trust should/could champion. Not meaning that as a cheap shot just a belief that specific/ring-fenced fundraising would be a good tool for recruitment or, in my case and a lot of others, re-recruitment.

Im not going to the match tomorrow i jyst cant face it , im going to wait untill im sure everyone has been briefed and i have my letter confirming im allowed in With the boys and I'm still in the middle of a huge flare up I think due to stress of Saturday . Hopefully il make the hibs game But il certainly keep everyone up to date. Thanks all

Sad to hear that you wont be going tomorrow. Personally I would go. Something about not letting the bullies win.

Hope your feeling better soon! Take care!! :)

Edited by little_miss_jag
  • Like 1

I think it's a great thought. But agree perhaps money from jags trust should go to above just the fact that we can get in with other fans is a big plus. It's easy to get out of in an emergency all one level. Minimum walking. Is fine. It's more a case of stewards being trained a bit better if they are working in this area tbh

I think it's a great thought. But agree perhaps money from jags trust should go to above just the fact that we can get in with other fans is a big plus. It's easy to get out of in an emergency all one level. Minimum walking. Is fine. It's more a case of stewards being trained a bit better if they are working in this area tbh

I know facilities aren't the main issue here and I'm glad the problem appears to have been sorted from les' point of view. However didn't the JT have money for a lift or something in the JHS? What happened to that?

i know when the main stand was closed a few of the old guard stopped going due to the hill going up to the JHS, I know that there are a limited amount of disabled spaces for cars, but do they not need to get there early and on a cold winters day someone with limited movement or old really doesnt want to be sitting about in the stand longer than need be

I have changed my views on the disabled after seeing a motorized wheelchair doing a wheel spin when exiting the entrance to the main stand when leaving the stadium and somebody behind going to give a shove in case it bounced backwards.. Also saw a child around the main stand with a Thistle top which he had to cover up in the Aberdeen end who was not allowed to leave with the Thistle supporters because if you let one out you would have to let them all out.

Then there was the Aberdeen supporter who was not allowed to leave the main stand and did not get any pies.

Think things will have to change, thanks to les bringing it up and getting it sorted.;

Agree with a lot said above. Sorry you don't feel you can't make it as bully may think they have won. However you must think of your own well being first and I hope you are back soon. You have highlighted something that needs looking at and made a few people (like myself) aware of something we maybe didn't give the attention it deserves so well done and I hope some good comes out of all this.

i know when the main stand was closed a few of the old guard stopped going due to the hill going up to the JHS, I know that there are a limited amount of disabled spaces for cars, but do they not need to get there early and on a cold winters day someone with limited movement or old really doesnt want to be sitting about in the stand longer than need be

I've heard that dependent on the degree of disablement that the more severely disabled have to wait for the road to reopen to allow special taxis up to the exit. I don't know for sure if what I'm saying is accurate as perhaps those to which that applies no longer attend and it's more hypothetical. Even so perhaps it's not just funding required but also a complete revisit to the overall treatment of our disabled fans.

Btw Is the new entrance to the Aitken Suite suitable for wheelchair access? I'm assuming for a variety of reasons many disabled and less able fans arrive earlier and leave later than most and I'd hate to think that they're further restricted and can't use the AS facilities.

I've heard that dependent on the degree of disablement that the more severely disabled have to wait for the road to reopen to allow special taxis up to the exit. I don't know for sure if what I'm saying is accurate as perhaps those to which that applies no longer attend and it's more hypothetical. Even so perhaps it's not just funding required but also a complete revisit to the overall treatment of our disabled fans.

Btw Is the new entrance to the Aitken Suite suitable for wheelchair access? I'm assuming for a variety of reasons many disabled and less able fans arrive earlier and leave later than most and I'd hate to think that they're further restricted and can't use the AS facilities.

Soory to say the AS is like the reast of Firhill not accessible. There's a lot of work to be done in terms of making Firhill accessible. Just as a quick example when the SDSA where thinking of trying to arrange a meeting with prospective members the one venue that is out was Firhill! Even for those disabled fans like me who are ambulant, things like the state of the access to the North Stand which is rutted and an accident waiting to happen IMO, are barriers which detract from our enjoyment of the game/ As I have said before, the sooner this club and all clubs in fact move from the position of equality being a matter of largesse on their part and a matter of legal right, the better.