Thistle - Killie

The Cup

Saturday was just a bad day at the office !! Every team will get one of those days so no need to panic. Our problem on Sat was a big tall striker who terrified our defense , theres not too many like him around, and by the way the Dons fans I know and talk to , dont really like him , I'd love to have him at firhill !! Wholesale changes will not work, but we do need to vary the pattern a bit. Last season it took the others about a dozen games or so to read us and we hit a sticky patch a la JMAC's single style , Archie brought a slightly different pattern in and it saw us thru to the Flag, We are in with the Big Boys and we need to get tough and mix it with them, more beef is needed and I think come mid term Archie will have to be looking to strengthen the team with one or two big physical players. That said we are still much better than 4 or 5 teams here and I firmly believe we will stay up , lets not get carried away with looking for anything else this year , stabalising ourselves as a premiership team is about as much as we should reasonably expect. Killie are one of the lesser sides I mentioned and so we can and should get 3 points this sat.

Reading between the lines of Archie's post match report, it was a surprise that Welsh started the season so strongly as he hadn't had too much preseason.I think this last injury has put him back too much. I would be surprised to see him start on Sat. Also based on Saturday and the reports from St M and Motherwell, Osbourne has been the pick of the midfield, so he will probably start.

Lawless and Bannigan haven't been so impressive so far this season - maybe one of them could do with dropping to the bench.

I am glad I am not the manager

Agree entirely with peagreen's thoughts....keep reading about other teams catching on to jags style and taking necessary steps to achieve the victory ...Archie was saying that they dont have anyone in a scouting capacity employed anymore ...think it's about time that changed ....there must be someone at firhill capable of filling that vacancy while running their eye over future oppositions style of play to give Archie an advanced warning of what to expect and to prepare accordingly!!!

• Members

You are absolutely right Willjag - but are you saying that he hasn't made more mistakes this season than last. For me he hasn't been so sharp and has been caught in possession more often and has been bullied off the ball more.

Doesn't say much for every other young SPL player then does it not? Looked in form in the Dundee United and Hearts home games. Reportedly dominating in the game against St Mirren. Played well at Ross, can't comment on the 'Well game as I didn't make it and can't recall reports in our one other defeat this season. For me on Saturday, he wasn't outstanding, but in a poor bunch, I don't recall any glaring errors or him getting bullied off the ball as often (if at all?) as you're making out. In his first ever SPL season, the lad is doing really well and is more than worth his place in the team. Not spectacular but solid week in, week out.

Also, remember his role has changed this season with the arrival of Higgingbotham. Last season he and ATS often marauded down the left. So far this season, he's been strictly through the centre. And try as I might, I still can't recall him being caught in possession, bullied off the ball and making numerous mistakes as you say he is.

• Like 4

Both SOD and ATS are great at getting forward but both need to work on their final ball. Too many times this season the cross is either overhit or hits the first man. On saturday SODs crossing was especially bad. We have zero height so crosses should be drilled into the box.

Totally agree. When watching the County United game, I noticed one major difference to us and Utd (who played exceptionally well and are going to finnish in euro spot IMO) and that is the quality of final ball is 10 times better. Also when they swarmed forward, their players broke into the box, where as we have a tendency to have one person in it and everyone else waiting outside waiting on the break of the ball. Which never comes if there is no one to attack it. But first problems first, the crossing needs drastically improved. Granted picking out a player after bombing down the wing is a difficult skill - but they should be able to cross balls into threatening positions easily enough. O'Donnell never gets a ball past the first man or off the ground. If he can't lift a ball then he needs to work on hitting it behind the defence, rather than infront of them. Sinclair is the opposite and gets under the ball too much, losing all control and normally always over hitting it. Sinclair I feel has improved this season - mentioned before I think he is crossing less and passing it inside more which is more effective if you can't cross. O'Donnell gets in great positions with the ball and if he could improve his final ball then he could be a deadly asset.

I think though there is a reason they are playing at our level and all our players are going to have some quite obvious faults. In Sinclairs case he is managing them by changing his style of play, in O'Donnell's case something has to change - knocking an average cross into the box isn't difficult.

EDIT: County also managed some decent delivieries - mainly by Carey who was their only decent player alongside Brittain - and they managed to get two goals out of it while playing terribly.

Edited by read'n'yell

On paper we have a better squad but there are no easy games at this level.

If we set our stall out early to get the ball down and play we should get a result but we've shown a tendency to try and walk the ball into the net.

Boyd certainly is good with his feet for a big lad.

Losing a goal in the first 20 minutes is a bad time to concede.

St Mirren game was a biggie but even this early in the season this is massive. We really need to win these type of games at Firhill. Killie appear to be in meltdown (crowd on Saturday just scraped over 3000) and its important to keep the pressure on them Hearts and St Mirren

Edited by Lindau

On paper we have a better squad but there are no easy games at this level.

If we set our stall out early to get the ball down and play we should get a result but we've shown a tendency to try and walk the ball into the net.

Boyd certainly is good with his feet for a big lad.

Losing a goal in the first 20 minutes is a bad time to concede.

4 lazy cliches in a row. Do you work for BBC Scotland?

• Like 2

Missed the game on Saturday just watched highlights and read just in

The back 4 Peter capaldi was all at sea I know it was his first game but really poor performance

Thought maybe osbourne would have done much better in that position

Against st midden lots of posters said that Ozzie had a really good game in midfield

Imo when he received the ball when we were coming out of defence he slowed the game down we seemed to lose momentum

If welsh is fit he should play along with bannigan and craigen in midfield

Up front lawless and higginbottom with Doolan leading the line

Can't understand why Doolan did not play from the ko

His movement skill and effort made the difference against st midden

Of course killie will have learned to combat our flying fullbacks but that means they will have to play further up the park exposing by all accounts a shaky defence

With lawless Doolan and higginbottom coming at you at pace I just can't wait for Saturday

If Conrad can't make it then maybe Ozzie is the short term answer

Boyd is slow but has plenty of skill on the ball and is probably the best header of a ball in this league

Snuff out his supply and we are all but home and dry

Finally before we bring on Baird I would like to see Elliot be given a chance he is strong bloody fast and never gives up

Anyway bring on the tractor drivers!

• Members

Aberdeen supporting mate is a big admirer of Osbourne, however, he reckons although he can play at the back, he's a bit of a bombscare and sold the odd goal or two when played there by Aberdeen in an emergency. Likely that was the biggest crowd Gabriel has ever played in front and perhaps nerves got the better of him on the day. I'm sure he'll be back in the team again before the end of the season and I hope our support give him a chance before having a go at him.

• Like 1