Team V Dundee United

The Sunnylaw Jag

90% of our squad were untested at Premiership level and the signings made were based on the club's budget, which is the lowest in the league. I'm sure Archie would have loved to bring in someone like Sutton.

I don't think we will go down but if we do because we stayed within our budget and weren't good enough then so be it.

• Like 2

90% of our squad were untested at Premiership level and the signings made were based on the club's budget, which is the lowest in the league. I'm sure Archie would have loved to bring in someone like Sutton.

I don't think we will go down but if we do because we stayed within our budget and weren't good enough then so be it.

Totally agree - and if we do go down while keeping within budget, we will have ate away a bit more debt (from the extra money we earn in the premier league) and be a stronger side with a good chance of coming back quickly (a good number of the team are signed up for 2 years).

Absolutely. And we did go for Sutton, he just had a better offer. So it goes to show Archie was trying to address the situation, but couldn't get his man in. Hopefully we can get someone in January though.

Another good point. Also Archie has pointed out that due to limited budget he is careful with spending money - he doesn't want to sign someone just for the sake of signing someone. He's prepared to take the risk of not signing someone rather than signing someone who won't make a difference.

• Like 1

several of our squad (including a few of last season's squad and new signings) are simply not good enough at this level.

That'll be why our start to the season sees us level on points in the mid-table position with the side who just beat us tonight, having pumped established top flight teams like Ross County and St Mirren along the way.

The strikers are not scoring

We are currently averaging a goal per game.

there are too many midfielders

:lol:

Because that sure is a bad thing 1eye.gif

there is a lack of competition for places in defence.

How so? We currently have 4 players, 5 if you include Osbourne, who can occupy a centre-half position. We have two players who can occupy the left back position, and two who can occupy the right back position.

Please accept that you are making a melodramatic fool of yourself and move on.

• Like 2

According to Archie, he had enough money for two players at the end of the transfer window. I agree with our wage structure and budget, but I think putting the two lots of money together and bringing in one top striker would of been worth it. It would be a risk, putting all your eggs in one basket but I think that is better, if done with proper consideration, than having two players we pretty much know will just be ok.

From the way we seem to be able to dominate games (Aberdeen and first half of Motherwell aside) we just can't score while on top. It's cost us points against Hearts and Kilmarnock so far and has knocked us out the league cup. By all acounts we should of been a couple goals up in each of these games by half time. The problem comes when you have pressure and then don't score, heads eventually go down thinking it will never come. It sounded like this is what happened tonight. A good goal scorer would take advantage of our style of play and I'd happily switch Doolan or Baird, who are good players on the ball, with someone who doesn't touch the ball outwith scoring (e.g. players like Sutton, Heffernan, Boyd - all be it I know those three are obviously out of our means).

Frustrating, but still well on track to accomplish our aim of top flight survival - hope our players are ready for the scrap when round 2 of fixtures comes.

EDIT: How perfect would it of been to get Stevie May - I think he is exactly the type of player we should get.

Edited by read'n'yell

Can anyone advise why we signed John Baird?

Coz Archie thought he could do a job?

Or alternatively, maybe he has magic beans, and if we sign him and we have access to these magic beans. And maybe when you eat them, or even just smell them, then it means you can either (a) grow 14 foot tall or (b ) run faster than a cheetah or (c ) be guaranteed 15 goals a season in the premier league because that's the mark of a man. You get to choose, but only after christmas coz Santa has to rub them on his beard first.

But I think the first reason maybe.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 1

• Members

Unbelievable comments from folk who weren't at the game. How anyone can comment on performance they haven't seen astounds me.

As far as the strikers go, if they were missing lots of chances every game, I could accept that we would perhaps need replacements for them, but I just don't see us making chances like we were able to last season. Doolan has proven in the past when given decent goalscoring chances, he's more than capable of taking them. Not seen enough of Baird in a Jags jersey to comment and I'm not entirely sure Christie is an out and out striker. Wasn't impressed with him through the middle, but when Archie shifted him out onto the flanks I think he's came on leaps and bounds. Only thing is, that's where Lawless is operating. I'll be intererested to hear where Christie played tonight. Wouldn't be surprised to find he was a direct replacement for Stevie.

Coz Archie thought he could do a job?

Or alternatively, maybe he has magic beans, and if we sign him and we have access to these magic beans. And maybe when you eat them, or even just smell them, then it means you can either (a) grow 14 foot tall or (b ) run faster than a cheetah or (c ) be guaranteed 15 goals a season in the premier league because that's the mark of a man. You get to choose, but only after christmas coz Santa has to rub them on his beard first.

But I think the first reason maybe.

Good reponse smart a rse...i was thinking more along the lines of his goal scoring record