Jags V Hibs

The Cup

I think we all know what the problem is.

We have the 2nd lowest percentage of shots on target to goals in the league.

Over and over we're the better team in games, we don't take our chances and we end up getting bummed for it. Doolan knocks in those great chances last night and we're all happy.

We need a new striker before all the good work goes to ****.

I think we 100 per cent can play both of them but if you're playing two sitting midfielders, you need the other three attacking midfielders to be closer to the striker.

Bannigan isn't comfortable as the attacking midfielder, so that is causing problems, along with Lawless being out of form.

Brazil traditionally play with attacking full backs, and two holding midfielders, and they do alright. The main issue is the balance of the three in front, which at the moment, I don't think is right.

One issue is whether Bannigan, Welsh and Osbourne can all play as a midfield three, and I think it's too defensive. That's the issue, not whether purely Welsh and Osbourne can play in the same team, because I think they can. We just perhaps need to sacrifice one of the three for Forbes or Craigen, who are much more comfortable there.

I think this is spot on. Don't really see how having two defensive midfielders is a problem, it's more about getting the balance right in front of them. We need something more from the central attacking player.

picking out these three posts, as all make good points, as do other similar posts.

we do seem to be lacking in the zip and speed of last season, where we had players bombing forward, as well as arriving late, pulling defenders all over the place where the opposition didn't know who to mark, follow or where the ball was going to next, and this created numerous chances for strikers, midfielders and defenders alike to score, which they often did with much aplomb.

we are in a tougher league, where the players have to watch such style of play does not leave them vulnerable to swift counter attacks and being exposed if too many areup the park, so can understand to an extent why we are not seeing last seasons play being replicated. but i do feel we are not being as breakneck in speed at attacking as we were last season.

i am in agreement that we need to mix it up a bit more in terms of player selection and seek to revert to that cutting edge of last season and leaving opposition defences stretched and in dissarray. erskine is gone, but we miss his predictable unpredicatability and flair, and we need someone to step into that role (craigen?).

we also have to make our numerical advantages of stats count in our favour (look at last nights corners, shots, and on target stats, miles ahead of hibs), and remove some of our predicatability as its making it too easy for opposition teams to counter our pleasing on the eye play, but predictable end product in final third.

one instance last night, just as it looked a corner was about to be taken, doolan sprinted towards corner flag, took two defenders with him, and caused several other hibs players to move to cover their abscence. higgy dithered, moment was lost, and was another 5 or so seconds before c-k was taken. but if he had whipped it in as doolan had got near, we could have found more space in box. as i and others say, lets mix it up a bit more, get back to stretching and confusing the hell out of opposition defences, we all know these players have it in them, and then games like paddy thistle mentions will turn into wins.

Totally agree.

Still can't believe we didn't win that game last night. For Hibs to play the way they did and take all three points was a total injustice.

For me, the way we have played in all but one and a half games has been really pleasing. I wouldn't like to see us change anything we are doing. I genuinely believe if we keep to our style of play and get a couple of breaks here and there we can finish top six. I know that most fans would be happy with 10th place but I really don't think we have anything to fear from what I've seen so far. If Ross County, Inverness and St Johnstone can do it then so can we. Hibs are joint fourth and look how bad they are.

We have limited options up front and as others have mentioned, Doolan is the best striker we have. The one on one last night was by far the most clear cut chance he has missed but lets be fair - he hasn't missed any others you would describe as sitters. Also, his work rate is second to none so at least we are getting a player that is giving his all.

I reckon we will give some team a pumping soon. Bring on the Highlanders.