1-0 Jags

hamiltonjag

A very poor performance again which doesn`t exactly install confidence for the season ahead.The worrying thing for me is the lack of goalscoring opportunities we have created over the last two weeks.With Donnelly scoring he will know doubt be guaranteed a start next week which is not the way forward,unless we find a decent striker from somewhere we are going to struggle big time this year.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A very poor performance again which doesn`t exactly install confidence for the season ahead.The worrying thing for me is the lack of goalscoring opportunities we have created over the last two weeks.With Donnelly scoring he will know doubt be guaranteed a start next week which is not the way forward,unless we find a decent striker from somewhere we are going to struggle big time this year.

Why shouldnt Donnelly start he played fairly well compared to others and took his goal well. We aint gonna magic a great striker out of thin air.

This was a lose/lose situtation for us today. Even if we had scored 4 or 5 the reason would have been that it was against 3rd division part-timers who weren't even in the leageue a few seasons ago. As it was, the smallish pitch looked like that Himalayas putting green at St Andrews, the wind was blowing quite hard, and they were up for what they called their biggest game ever - let's not pretend this was going to be a walk in the park. We weren't very good, but we still should have scored more, our keeper didn't have a single save to make, and we won - I'll take it for now.

Obviously we do have to improve though, and we still play too many aimless hoofs. Robertson and Sid were our two best players. I would be terrified of our defence without Robertson in there just now.

Good day out. Game was ****** pish though. Struggled against a village team. Hodge get him tae ****, waste of a jersey. Boyle and Kinniburgh aren't too far behind.

That mob were 8th in the 3rd division last year, ******* shite.

Edited by MWM

Kinniburgh and Hodge were the main culprits. Awful players. MacBeth off instead of Hodge was a joke. Didn't make anywhere near enough chances and were lucky in the end. Pass marks to Rowson, Cairney, Robertson, Halliwell and congratulations to Chris Erskine for a game winning performance as a sub.

Kinniburgh and Hodge were the main culprits. Awful players. MacBeth off instead of Hodge was a joke. Didn't make anywhere near enough chances and were lucky in the end. Pass marks to Rowson, Cairney, Robertson, Halliwell and congratulations to Chris Erskine for a game winning performance as a sub.

I agree with you thought Erskine made a huge difference when he came on,hopefully this will earn him a start on Saturday.He seems to be the only player we have who can take a player on and force defenders into making mistakes.

Half time penalty shoot out worked for me, brilliant !

Shame on the commander of D&G's finest for not informing the shift Bobby that the clubs had arranged a penalty shoot-out by pished Thistle fans against each other. Totally hilarious watching that polis jumping over the wee barrier in pursuit of the last kicker and not being able to decide whether to huckle him or not. I'd be interested to know what he said in that exchange of words, but he clearly wasn't best pleased.

One thing I did learn today was that 'Mary fae Maryhill' has a second verse.

Shame on the commander of D&G's finest for not informing the shift Bobby that the clubs had arranged a penalty shoot-out by pished Thistle fans against each other. Totally hilarious watching that polis jumping over the wee barrier in pursuit of the last kicker and not being able to decide whether to huckle him or not. I'd be interested to know what he said in that exchange of words, but he clearly wasn't best pleased.

One thing I did learn today was that 'Mary fae Maryhill' has a second verse.

Fair play to the Annan polis for not chucking anyone out (as far as I know).

Fair play to the Annan polis for not chucking anyone out (as far as I know).

Agreed. It was just the look of sheer bewilderment and indignation on his face that made me howl with laughter. I'm sure he intended to lift the boy at first then turned the other cheek when it was obvious to him it was just a bit of high jinx with no victims.

Good day out. Game was ****** pish though. Struggled against a village team. Hodge get him tae ****, waste of a jersey. Boyle and Kinniburgh aren't too far behind.

That mob were 8th in the 3rd division last year, ******* shite.

My main concern is that the previous week Stenny scored three against this lot we only managed one! I think goals are gong to be a big problem for us this term.

We have now struggled to overcome two third division teams in consecutive weeks and to prove it's no fluke we lost to a second division team pre-season, and whilst you can maybe say that pre season matches mean nothing the same can not be said for the Clyde & Annan games :( Yes we won them but in a totally unconvincing fashion. For me the acid test is next Saturday, fail there and I feel we will have a long hard and painful season ahead :no:

That was utter garbage yesterday.

Yes we won, yes we are in the next round, blah blah blah we have been SHITE against third division nobodies 2 weeks in a row.

If we are pish and scrape 2-1 and 1-0 wins against Dundee, Falkirk and Dunfermline you won't hear me moaning but Clyde and Annan?

John Robertson stood out as the only player that looked like he should be getting paid for playing football yesterday.

Sorry but a lot of the criticism is totally OTT - its effectively a final pre-season game.

The game wasnt great but at no stage did we look in any danger of losing the game. I have been a big critic of Boyle and Paton but I thought they both had decent games yesterday and Rowson for me was man of the match. Other than that the players were competent without showing much in the way of brilliance.

Sorry but a lot of the criticism is totally OTT - its effectively a final pre-season game.

The game wasnt great but at no stage did we look in any danger of losing the game. I have been a big critic of Boyle and Paton but I thought they both had decent games yesterday and Rowson for me was man of the match. Other than that the players were competent without showing much in the way of brilliance.

I don't think you can dismiss the League Cup as a pre-season game. Many if not most of us are predicting a mid tablish league finish this season. It's possible that we could playing a lot of league games where the results will be largely academic so cup games and progressing in cup competitions should be more meaningful this time round. I'm not meaning to be dismissive of the likes of Albion & Cowden or indeed meaning to completely write us off behind the various league favourites, just outlining a likely outcome. That said I can't get enthusiastic about the inane Alba Cup but the League Cup is imo a different kettle of those things we're not encouraged to make puns of.

game was garbage. tidy ground but no better that a Junior ground, newer but the view of the game terrible.

Wind was howling down the pitch, thought it was october not end of july.

Thought we dominated and were up against a 10 man defence.

the back 4 were fine, Robbo and Paton being the best of the team. Boyle did ok again, a few more of this type of performance and maybe his confidence will grow. K/Burgh, I like him, reminds me a bit of Keddie, and most of us wanted to sign him from Ross Co

GK had nothing to do.

midfield - Rowson was busy nothing more, Flannigan was tidy and looked good with the corners. McBeth rightly subbed for Cairney who will get forward more, Hodge is not having the best of starts but will come good.

the two up front, worked hard, but were feeding of scraps. great finnish by Sid.

game was garbage. tidy ground but no better that a Junior ground, newer but the view of the game terrible.

Wind was howling down the pitch, thought it was october not end of july.

Thought we dominated and were up against a 10 man defence.

the back 4 were fine, Robbo and Paton being the best of the team. Boyle did ok again, a few more of this type of performance and maybe his confidence will grow. K/Burgh, I like him, reminds me a bit of Keddie, and most of us wanted to sign him from Ross Co

GK had nothing to do.

midfield - Rowson was busy nothing more, Flannigan was tidy and looked good with the corners. McBeth rightly subbed for Cairney who will get forward more, Hodge is not having the best of starts but will come good.

the two up front, worked hard, but were feeding of scraps. great finnish by Sid.

Agree with just about all that. The fact that the view was poor may have affected the way I saw things but I really thought Liam was for most of the game up front on his own. I know these things are fluid and Sid never plays as an out and out striker but it looked to me that he was usually a fair distance off Buchanan. I was thus surprised that Grehan didn't come on for Sid at some time. Glad now McCall didn't sub Donnelly.

Agree with just about all that. The fact that the view was poor may have affected the way I saw things but I really thought Liam was for most of the game up front on his own.

There were times when it felt as if we were playing with NO-ONE up front with Liam having to chase the balls being punted into the channels (particularly by Paton). He's our dangerman and I want to see him in or on the edge of the box. That's why the partnership between him and Sid is failing, the latter's to immobile meaning Buchanan's having to do all the chasing. That's why we needed someone to push on from the midfield and why MacBeth HAD to be substituted for Cairney.

I was disappointed with Rowson yesterday. He was continually caught out of possession and his treatment of Boyle when he (Rowson) had fluffed a simple pass was nothing short of disgraceful. The lad's confidence is clearly shot to pieces. Having a senior player bawling at him for something that wasn't his fault isn't going to repair that.

In addition to all that, it became apparent that Flannigan isn't a wide midfielder. He's a central midfielder - Rowser could learn a lot from him re. ball retention on that display - who can whip in a mean cross. I'd prefer to see him starting in there and pulling wide for crossing opportunities rather than being stranded out wide when he doesn't look capable of taking on a beating men.

There were times when it felt as if we were playing with NO-ONE up front with Liam having to chase the balls being punted into the channels (particularly by Paton). He's our dangerman and I want to see him in or on the edge of the box. That's why the partnership between him and Sid is failing, the latter's to immobile meaning Buchanan's having to do all the chasing. That's why we needed someone to push on from the midfield and why MacBeth HAD to be substituted for Cairney.

I was disappointed with Rowson yesterday. He was continually caught out of possession and his treatment of Boyle when he (Rowson) had fluffed a simple pass was nothing short of disgraceful. The lad's confidence is clearly shot to pieces. Having a senior player bawling at him for something that wasn't his fault isn't going to repair that.

In addition to all that, it became apparent that Flannigan isn't a wide midfielder. He's a central midfielder - Rowser could learn a lot from him re. ball retention on that display - who can whip in a mean cross. I'd prefer to see him starting in there and pulling wide for crossing opportunities rather than being stranded out wide when he doesn't look capable of taking on a beating men.

I noticed this as well, was very disappointed at rowson for that. Didnt think Rowson di dmuch at all yesterday and didnt command anywhere near as much as Robertson.

when we start treating competitive games (and I include the Alba cup in this) as being 'diddy' or 'pre season', then we're f*cked. As I seem to remember, we WON the League Cup in 1971, and I don't think we got byes all the way to the Final. That was Annan's biggest game yesterday and we gave them probably enough money to sign a player or two. They were well up for it, we struggled, but ultimately a great move from Sid and Erskine won it.

Couple of points there.

Firstly re Buchanan, I feel the less the ball's directed at him the better. That's hardly a radical opinion. He's a busy player always seeking out the ball but at his best I prefer him ghosting into scoring positions late. That's hardly possible when just about every ball out of defence or midfield, high or low, is targetted at him.

Secondly re Rowson. I missed the thingy with Boyle yesterday so won't comment on that specific incident. Rather underline the point I posted on another thread about Rowson (and other senior players) not being leaders. My point being that experienced guys like Rowson should have more of a grip on the less experienced players. Good role model but could be far more inspirational on the field rather than just getting on with his own game.

As for Rowson getting caught in possession, that's just something we've got to expect and put down to the aging process. Better get used to it tho' he'll probably end up one of our top players yet again.