Simon Donnelly

Santana

Please view the role Simon played in the interpassing that lead to the goal he scored on Saturday.

I'm in the "thou shalt have no other God before me" camp when it comes to a quality player who can make the result count for us.

PS Check back how many times that happened last season someone and then figure where we would have been in the table (never mind the do do)

Edited by Shuggie

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donnelly is the best player in the team, to bad a lot of supporters fail to recognise a footballer when they see one.

He is intelligent, aware, looks for a pass, finds space, reads the game, now has an eye for goal, brings other into the game, can read a pass, offers experience...oh but he doesn't merit a place in the team???

Some Jags fans are beyond belief with stupidity and complete unawareness of what a decent player looks like.

Boyle, Paton, Hodge...these are useless regulars in the team who do nothing to merit a place. Donnelly's professionalism and ability on the other hand would be my first name on the team sheet!

He is a fine malt, gets better with age!

If anyone thinks they can do a better job go and ask for a chance, I will gladly watch you fail miserably!

God, some of the p1sh some people come out with baffles me!

ALL HAIL KING SID!

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

I have a very strong suspicion that some people view Sid as being another of those Old Firm rejects who fetch up on our doorstep every so often looking for a final pension contribution. For myself, I think over three seasons he's proved himself a consummate and professional footballer and last season although a purple patch by his standards, proved that he knows the way to goal. It seems strange to me that some people on here can't get Jackie Mac on the pitch quick enough, but Sid is treated as a bit of a pariah.

Sid - scored on sat.

it was his touch of magic that set Liam up v Clyde.

2 games, 1 goal, 1 assist. thank you very much.

last year he had a decent return on the goals front.

he has the best 1st touch at the club.

but you are all entitled to your opinion, if Sid is the worst player at the club, what a squad we have.

Sid - scored on sat.

Correct.

I've not heard folk going ott in praise of Donnelly in the last nine days thus I find the timing of this thread kinda weird. Usually threads like this are started when a player's not been contributing.

Discuss :D

Sid - scored on sat.

but you are all entitled to your opinion, if Sid is the worst player at the club, what a squad we have.

And the Clyde defender who sent the ball in a different direction.

I'm kinda ambivalent about Sid. I remember seeing his first game for us, in a friendly down at the old Love Street 4 years ago, and thinking "Oh my God! He's amazing!"... and then waiting 3 years for him to look as good again. For the first few months of last season he was really classy, but there has been a lot of rubbish too.

I suppose you can be a classy footballer, but still be inefffective in a football match. I put Hodge in that bracket, too. Personally, I prefer the guts and commitment kind of midfielder, but there is certainly a place for the "nicey boys" too. Only 1 such place, though: I hate when Hodge AND Sid are on at the same time. Tippity-tappity pish...

Is it possible that those who don't rate him are just expecting more, or want him to be something that he isn't?

Instead of listing his perceived faults, perhaps list his contribution to e.g. when he's invisible to you, he is actually dragging defenders out of position and making space for others - which of course any of us could do... Fortunately, when all of this movement results in him receiving the ball, he mysteriously seems to have time on the ball and moves it intelligently. Just because he's not Lionel Messi, doesn't make him a bad player. I still prefer Rowson though. :blush:

Is it possible that those who don't rate him are just expecting more, or want him to be something that he isn't?

I think you may have a point there, SG. Perhaps our expectations of Sid are too high. We don't have too many players in the squad who have played in both the Scottish and English top divisions and represented Scotland at international level.

I do, however, get frustrated when he regularly seems to back out of challenges, but maybe if I had his history of injuries I'd be cautious too.

I also get annoyed when he takes three or four touches and takes all the pace out of a breakaway attack, but maybe he has already recognised that the breakaway is doomed to failure.

I'm also told that "it's what he does when he's not on the ball" that makes him good, so maybe I should stop following the ball when I'm watching the game.

Although he may not have the same pace anymore, Simon Donnelly has insight and vision into how the game is unfolding around him. He can link up well with others to unlock defences and could be a really good influence on on younger squad members this season.

I also would not be surprised to see him make the transition to management in the next 2-3 years. Like Danny Lennon and Allan Moore, I think he has the potential to go further within the game after his playing career ends.

Sid - scored on sat.

This

In addition, he is one of a few players at the club with a footballing brain.

Although he may not have the same pace anymore, Simon Donnelly has insight and vision into how the game is unfolding around him. He can link up well with others to unlock defences and could be a really good influence on on younger squad members this season.

I also would not be surprised to see him make the transition to management in the next 2-3 years. Like Danny Lennon and Allan Moore, I think he has the potential to go further within the game after his playing career ends.

"insight and vision" you must be on some great drugs, he is a total waste of a jersey and should have been taken out and neck shot long ago. i think him and McColl must be bumming each other, I cant see any other reason for him being in every week!!

I think that there in lies the problem as in "He is not one of the worst that we have here" To be honest Simon Donnelly has had his day. This arguement about vision, game awareness and passing is fine if he contributes throughout the season but in all honesty since he has been at the club its not his package.

He loves the early months and then we will see him later on next year when the weather gets better. If he wants to be a manager then fine go elsewhere and learn your trade as what we dont need right now is to be wasting a wage on that. An attacking midfielder or Striker would be nice and I have no doubt there are some out there who would love to play on the same wage Donnelly is on as I dont think he is doing it for the love of the job.

I was going to say Simon Donnelly was a good player but when you really think about it and look at his previous clubs has he really been value for money. Lets be honest injuries or not he shafted Sheffield Wednesday and I struggle to see how he set the heather alight at Celtic. If we are honest for the club to move forward players such as Simon Donnelly are not the answer and when I say move forward Im not daft enough to say win the league Im talking about producing a team that can compete every season, find a level and then push on to challenge.

I believe that even with the severe restricted budget that we have there are other younger pacier players out there who are more hungry for the game and would give you performances throughout the whole season rather then by the conditions of the seasons.

And yes I am a season ticket holder and yes I do watch the same games and yes I do have an opinion about the football I watch.

I think that there in lies the problem as in "He is not one of the worst that we have here" To be honest Simon Donnelly has had his day. This arguement about vision, game awareness and passing is fine if he contributes throughout the season but in all honesty since he has been at the club its not his package.

He loves the early months and then we will see him later on next year when the weather gets better. If he wants to be a manager then fine go elsewhere and learn your trade as what we dont need right now is to be wasting a wage on that. An attacking midfielder or Striker would be nice and I have no doubt there are some out there who would love to play on the same wage Donnelly is on as I dont think he is doing it for the love of the job.

I was going to say Simon Donnelly was a good player but when you really think about it and look at his previous clubs has he really been value for money. Lets be honest injuries or not he shafted Sheffield Wednesday and I struggle to see how he set the heather alight at Celtic. If we are honest for the club to move forward players such as Simon Donnelly are not the answer and when I say move forward Im not daft enough to say win the league Im talking about producing a team that can compete every season, find a level and then push on to challenge.

I believe that even with the severe restricted budget that we have there are other younger pacier players out there who are more hungry for the game and would give you performances throughout the whole season rather then by the conditions of the seasons.

And yes I am a season ticket holder and yes I do watch the same games and yes I do have an opinion about the football I watch.

There's quite a bit there I don't agree with but it's all about opinions and you argue your case well. It would be too repetitive to go back over the points I do disagree with but, just on a specific, we don't know what wage Sid's now on. If it is exceptionally high your argument is certainly stronger but if it's average and/or has a play for pay element in his contract I feel your argument is much weakened. I guess it's the latter.

Donnelly's combining coaching and playing duties, which should demand a higher wage, which again I guess in this instance isn't the case.

In truth I would rather see less of Donnelly on the pitch but rather than replace Donnelly with a new signing I'd like to see the likes of Grehan, Doolan and Burns force their way into the side on merit.

Was a 'Donnelly Hater' up until last season (well the tail end of the season before if Im honest), but he still has a role to play...I just hope he is not needed as much this season, for reasons that are less to do with Sid and more to do with blooding the youths.

Also, the consensus is that he is on buttons while performing a dual role at the Club.

Over-all I think he will be an important employee at Firhill on and off the pitch.

Lets be honest injuries or not he shafted Sheffield Wednesday

How did he "shaft" them?

The fact Sid scored the majority of last season's goals within the first three months of the campaign would appear, on the face of it, to support your claim that he goes into hiding during the winter months.

However, his dip in form coincided with that of the entire team. If you are, as you're so keen to point out, a season ticket holder who watches games, then you'll recall our woeful form between November and April.

Does that show Sid's importance to the side, i.e. he goes into hiding and we begin to play poorly, or does it indicate we were poor as a unit with Sid being but one composite part?

Try not to be so small minded please as your statement" if you are a season ticket Holder" does you no justice as it infers that I may be lying and that is clearly not the point or even the issue to be discussed.

Last season he was part of a bad team effort from November to April yes that is true but the season before he also went missing around the same time with a supposedly a better performing team. Simon Donnelly is on a decent wage, my own opinion is as stated above we are not here to breed coaches we are here to put a team on the park who will compete and hopefully entertain throughout the whole season.

So thats why i want my £260 a year going towards something that has longevity and not short sightedness. Simon Donnelly does not represent value for money regardless of how much