The Club "shop"

gerrybritton9

Bit of a long story, but hear me out:

I contacted the "shop" last week. It's not really a shop, it is an industrial unit on a very dodgy estate. I asked them if they had kids kits for the home kit and the Goalkeeper kit. They emailed me back and said that they had the stuff and just to pop in when i was free.

I went in later and had a few problems. When i got there, the shop was empty. I could have robbed the whole gaff and no one would have noticed. Eventually someone came through and spoke to me. When i explained what i wanted, they were not happy. I felt that I was a school boy who had been bold. "Have you ordered it?" "When do you want it for?" "it won't be here in time for Christmas". When i explained about the emails they were still not happy. The shop was a dump and full of cardboard boxes and male members of staff swearing.

Eventually, a young lad came out to help. He dug through all the piles and was really helpful. i couldnt get the goalie kit and so had to settle for two home kits.

It all cost be over a hundred quid. When I was paying, the bloke said "well at least you got something".

Thats all a bit rubbish. I could afford the stuff and was happy to preorder it but no one asked me to.

My kids will get their first ever jags kits from Santa with their names and numbers on them (Greaves weren't exactly helpful with printing either!)

Maybe I should have just walked into ANY sports shop from Berwick to Iona, from Hawick to Inverness and purchased an old firm kit - it would have been no hassle at all. Then my kids could be branded in alcohol sponsors and associated with bigotry, corruption and stadium breaking.

Is it me or do ALL shops in Scotland make you feel that when you ask for something, you are giving them grief.

"Can I get a box of sweets please?" is always met with a huff or a sigh from staff.

I contacted the "shop" last week. It's not really a shop, it is an industrial unit on a very dodgy estate. I asked them if they had kids kits for the home kit and the Goalkeeper kit. They emailed me back and said that they had the stuff and just to pop in when i was free.

I went in later and had a few problems. When i got there, the shop was empty. I could have robbed the whole gaff and no one would have noticed. Eventually someone came through and spoke to me. When i explained what i wanted, they were not happy. I felt that I was a school boy who had been bold. "Have you ordered it?" "When do you want it for?" "it won't be here in time for Christmas". When i explained about the emails they were still not happy. The shop was a dump and full of cardboard boxes and male members of staff swearing.

Eventually, a young lad came out to help. He dug through all the piles and was really helpful. i couldnt get the goalie kit and so had to settle for two home kits.

It all cost be over a hundred quid. When I was paying, the bloke said "well at least you got something".

Thats all a bit rubbish. I could afford the stuff and was happy to preorder it but no one asked me to.

My kids will get their first ever jags kits from Santa with their names and numbers on them (Greaves weren't exactly helpful with printing either!)

Maybe I should have just walked into ANY sports shop from Berwick to Iona, from Hawick to Inverness and purchased an old firm kit - it would have been no hassle at all. Then my kids could be branded in alcohol sponsors and associated with bigotry, corruption and stadium breaking.

Is it me or do ALL shops in Scotland make you feel that when you ask for something, you are giving them grief.

"Can I get a box of sweets please?" is always met with a huff or a sigh from staff.

Similar thing, I asked my nephew to get me and the boy a strip from the shop while he was in Glasgow, short story , although shop was meant to be open, uh uh, closed, no sign of life......Greaves I always found excellent both in person and online...........our club (not the team) need to be a LOT more professional!

Yes,not the most inviting of locations,i was in earlier in the year and to be honest the 2 staff could not have been nicer,swearing is not acceptable from staff,pretty poor show.I thought the couldnt care less attitude from shop staff was just something that annoyed me,it seems to be the way things are going unfortuneately.

Is the problem not that it's outsourced? A bit like the Greaves deal?

I was in a few weeks back looking for a couple of hoodies as presents to send abroad.

They didn't have Large or X-Large sizes in the £19.99 or £29.99 tops & couldn't tell me when back in stock.

A bit of a wasted journey tbh. I ended up sending out Glasgow Warriors stuff instead!!

Yes,not the most inviting of locations,i was in earlier in the year and to be honest the 2 staff could not have been nicer,swearing is not acceptable from staff,pretty poor show.I thought the couldnt care less attitude from shop staff was just something that annoyed me,it seems to be the way things are going unfortuneately.

Disagree. When I'm in Sports Direct (which can't be an easy place to work) staff have been helpful and polite. Depends on the culture and expectations set by management.

The one time I was in the shop the staff were nice and helpful so not all of them are ignorant and unhelpful ie the young lad that was doing his best to help you with the tops. Having said that, there is no doubt that when you look at the overall picture the shop is a total and utter joke, even more so for a top flight club.

I don't know what the arrangement is or even if the club can exert any pressure on the shop to improve product availability and customer service?

Thanks for highlighting this. Not been in this "shop" as yet but it sounds like a massive step back from the Greaves set up.

It also sounds pretty much on a par with the customer service fans have recently received with regard to the TAG non-scheme and the champions season review non-DVD. The usual feeling of "does the club actually want our money?" and a general impression that PTFC are complete amateurs at marketing and maximising revenue.

Thanks for highlighting this. Not been in this "shop" as yet but it sounds like a massive step back from the Greaves set up.

It also sounds pretty much on a par with the customer service fans have recently received with regard to the TAG non-scheme and the champions season review non-DVD. The usual feeling of "does the club actually want our money?" and a general impression that PTFC are complete amateurs at marketing and maximising revenue.

And on a par with closing the office at 11am the day before a game so they can go on their Christmas night out whilst we are selling tickets for and when we have 1/2 season tickets and 5 game packages which could be used as Xmas presents. No use as the office doesn't open again till Boxing Day

So much for purchasing a 1/2 ST for myself on a whim, I'll pay into the 4 or 5 games I can make it home for.

We are total amateurish when it comes to maximizing revenue streams

What's the difference between an industrial unit and a shop?

In what way is it a very dodgy estate?

I assume the boxes mean there was a delivery just in, is it unacceptable that they have deliveries? As well as this you say it was also a dump, in what way was the shop a dump?

How did they demonstrate they were not happy?

In any other circumstance, them asking "Have you ordered it?" "When do you want it for?" "it won't be here in time for Christmas". Would be deemed as good customer service.

Do you think him saying "at least you got something" was to try and appease the situation of not getting a goalie strip? You've isolated this one statement but not suggested if it was part of a conversation like... It's a pity we didn't get any goalie strips on the delivery, but at least you got something.

I'm not sure why you reference the costs, followed by that's all a bit rubbish, you were spending that any way, were you not?

Why tell us you were happy to pre order, then complain to us they didn't offer, if your child wanted a goalie strip so much and you were happy to pre order... Why not tell them, rather than take two home kits, I'll pre order, and bring the kids up after Christmas to pick up. I'm sure the kids would love going up to the shop and being in a room decked out in wall to wall red and yellow.

Why didn't you get the names and numbers printed at TTL? Let me guess, they didn't offer, so you didn't ask?

I'm not sure what your last point is about, especially as you assume that every other shop in Scotland had perfect customer service?

It is in an industrial estate that is a fact

It is a very poor location for a retail unit fact

It is a step back from Greaves fact

Oh and it's crap

I understand that it's your opinion, so it's not really facts, I will grant you that it is on an industrial estate.

However conversely, many make look at it that, it's a great location, 2 minutes drive from the motorway, 10 minute drive from firhill, with free parking. 10 minute walk from the underground and caly uni.

Others may think that it's a step up from greaves, I do. I thought greaves were kidding us and themselves on.

It's about opinions, not facts.

Bear in mind, just because 10 folk shout loudly on here doesn't make it crap... They've probably had over 500 customers, so 2% moaning on here doesn't make it crap.

I assume the boxes mean there was a delivery just in, is it unacceptable that they have deliveries? As well as this you say it was also a dump, in what way was the shop a dump?

In any other circumstance, them asking "Have you ordered it?" "When do you want it for?" "it won't be here in time for Christmas". Would be deemed as good customer service.

Do you think him saying "at least you got something" was to try and appease the situation of not getting a goalie strip?

I think the OP made some very valid points - this attempt to debunk what was clearly an unpleasant and disappointing experience seems utterly pointless. Why would he make up that the staff were unhappy (obviously their tone was abrupt, it's not hard to work that out), and why would you argue if you weren't there?

Oh and generally a "shop" is a retail outlet on an accessible shopping street, often with other "shops" around it. Not a messy delivery unit in an industrial estate in a no-man's-land beyond the motorway which is not close to anything else. Are you saying that this is the equivalent to having our stuff on the high street?

I think the OP made some very valid points - this attempt to debunk what was clearly an unpleasant and disappointing experience seems utterly pointless. Why would he make up that the staff were unhappy (obviously their tone was abrupt, it's not hard to work that out), and why would you argue if you weren't there?

Oh and generally a "shop" is a retail outlet on an accessible shopping street, often with other "shops" around it. Not a messy delivery unit in an industrial estate in a no-man's-land beyond the motorway which is not close to anything else. Are you saying that this is the equivalent to having our stuff on the high street?

Of course I'm not saying it's the equivalent, what I'm saying is it's down to personal opinion and interpretation of events.

Do you think him saying "at least you got something" was to try and appease the situation of not getting a goalie strip? You've isolated this one statement but not suggested if it was part of a conversation like... It's a pity we didn't get any goalie strips on the delivery, but at least you got something.

I'm not sure why you reference the costs, followed by that's all a bit rubbish, you were spending that any way, were you not?

Why tell us you were happy to pre order, then complain to us they didn't offer, if your child wanted a goalie strip so much and you were happy to pre order... Why not tell them, rather than take two home kits, I'll pre order, and bring the kids up after Christmas to pick up. I'm sure the kids would love going up to the shop and being in a room decked out in wall to wall red and yellow.

Why didn't you get the names and numbers printed at TTL? Let me guess, they didn't offer, so you didn't ask?

I'm not sure what your last point is about, especially as you assume that every other shop in Scotland had perfect customer service?

You know it's stuff like this which makes me wonder why I even bother with this forum. What a useless and unhelpful reply. You just tried to debunk everything I said. I don't know why you challenged every thing I said and questioned my judgement on every single thing I said. Along with all the many challenges you've presented me above, can I just say that it was not my intention to take my kids into the shop AFTER Christmas to buy kit for the simple reason that my 5 year old and 9 year old have very inconsiderately chosen to believe in Santa and that his items are usually delivered on Christmas Eve and presented on Christmas Day. Maybe I could provide you with my kids names and you could come round and give them a stern talking to - as you just did with me.

Absolute nonsense. I have no idea why you would want to personally challenge a fellow fan.

Can't you just trust my judgement?

And the comment said to me about "at least you got something" WAS said in isolation and was not part of any other conversation,dialogue or diatribe.

Partick thistle - the family club with friendly fans! If I were not consummate professional and a gentleman, I would be saying that you are a bit of a git.

I won't be posting on this site again.

Beware the troll.

• Like 2

What a stupid, stupid post.

You know it's stuff like this which makes me wonder why I even bother with this forum. What a useless and unhelpful reply. You just tried to debunk everything I said. I don't know why you challenged every thing I said and questioned my judgement on every single thing I said. Along with all the many challenges you've presented me above, can I just say that it was not my intention to take my kids into the shop AFTER Christmas to buy kit for the simple reason that my 5 year old and 9 year old have very inconsiderately chosen to believe in Santa and that his items are usually delivered on Christmas Eve and presented on Christmas Day. Maybe I could provide you with my kids names and you could come round and give them a stern talking to - as you just did with me.

Absolute nonsense. I have no idea why you would want to personally challenge a fellow fan.

Can't you just trust my judgement?

And the comment said to me about "at least you got something" WAS said in isolation and was not part of any other conversation,dialogue or diatribe.

Partick thistle - the family club with friendly fans! If I were not consummate professional and a gentleman, I would be saying that you are a bit of a git.

I won't be posting on this site again.

Beware the troll.

Troll? So someone who has had good experiences in the shop, and questions your sweeping generalisations used to emphasise your bad experience is a troll.

I didn't comment in every single point you made, there are a few which are a concern.

But as I said its down to experience and interpretation.

Others may think that it's a step up from greaves, I do. I thought greaves were kidding us and themselves on.

Really? Association with one of Glasgow's best-known sporting brands. Best kits and promotion in years. Dedicated space in a city-centre location. Presence on professional website. Wide-range of leisure goods.

What exactly does Joma offer that can seriously be considered a step up?

I've heard that Greaves was absorbing a loss as a result of running our retail operation, is that what you mean by kidding themselves on? Is the Joma deal better commercially?

Edited by Dark Passenger

Really? Association with one of Glasgow's best-known sporting brands. Best kits and promotion in years. Dedicated space in a city-centre location. Presence on professional website. Wide-range of leisure goods.

What exactly does Joma offer that can seriously be considered a step up?

I've heard that Greaves was absorbing a loss as a result of running our retail operation, is that what you mean by kidding themselves on? Is the Joma deal better commercially?

It's very well having that association, but how did it help us as a club, really, I don't know how it did.

I'd dispute the best kits, compared to what, the TFG kits? the first kit was a belter but let down by the yellow back and sleeves. The next one was a joke of a strip, top was ok, if that. but red shorts and black socks? The next one, I never understood at all, if you are going to replicate the early 70s tops, why have black shorts and socks? There was next to no red in it.

With regards to quality, let's not kid on, they weren't puma, it was a factory in Liverpool that made them and stitched a puma badge on, When I bought a strip I had to lift every large off the shelf to try on as they were all different widths and lengths.

The training/leisure wear was shockingly bad. And from what I can gather the fashion stuff hardly sold at all.

added to that, once sizes ran out you were fckd, stock never came back in.

The promotion, yes was fantastic, getting launches out in the street was brilliant. The launch at the start of this season was horrendous, but that was the clubs fault, not TTLs.

Joma offers a range of training gear that is night and day compared to the puma badged training kit. the players have testified to that, it's actual kit designed for the purpose.

If greaves were absorbing a loss then that's their fault, the effort they put in in the final season was half arsed. I've not been told about the commercials of the Joma deal and wouldn't expect to be, but as a premiership team, I'd expect it to be on a par if not better.

What I have been told is that sales are ahead of expectation,and I would assume expectation was based on historical information via the puma deal and comparatives with their other Scottish team contracts.