The Club "shop"

gerrybritton9

There is no other company that would open a retail unit there to serve the public and it's crazy to suggest otherwise...... Retail is about location, footfall and service and this is not the answer it's also too close to firhill where we should have facility open all the time..... Somewhere in the actual city centre is the correct answer

• Like 2

It was to demonstrate how close it is to the city centre. The Uni is right beside the bus station.

Jesus we've had folk moaning on here it's not close enough to the city centre, then someone suggests them opening a shop in maryhill road!

Why would they want to open another shop just to appease 10 thistle fans?

I'm sorry if folk are getting angry with my responses or think I'm trolling, I'm genuinely not!

I just find it bizarre some things folk complain about, and use as an opportunity to romantasise about the good old days.

I love the location, I don't work in glasgow and have no interest in driving into the city centre to pay for parking, to then walk through Sauchihall street to stand in a 6 foot square section of generally crap stock. I can drive from paisley, park right at the door and be back on the motorway in no time at all.

While I think it is wrong to romanticise the past (remember we were months without a home top last season) I don't think many people are doing that. People on here are just not agreeing that the current situation with TTL is better than our situation with Greeves. You seem to constantly change your arguments in a bid to defend TTL, eventually just settling on a default of saying any 'issues' are with the complainer and not TTL.

When the OP mentioned boxes lying around and general messiness, your reply was that it was unfortunate that he had clearly visited just after a delivery. You could have no way of knowing this was the case, but you were happy to use it as a defence, but in defending it by inventing a reason you tacitly accept that it isn't a great situation. Except you won't actually bring yourself to say that. When several of us seem to have had a similar experience, you change your argument and ask how we cope in a supermarket when they are restocking! To compare the unit with a shop which has a massive stock turnover is just daft - I was in Waterstones today and there were no boxes lying around. If you ran a retail shop you wouldn't have boxes lying around. Anyway, supermarkets, Waterstones - it's immaterial as neither of these are actually REPRESENTING OUR CLUB. Sorry - can't find italics!

When some suggest that the stock itself isn't to our taste and list grievances, you just say it's better than what we had. I've got a problem with the cheapness of the felt badge. You asking how I survived the 90s - how is that relevant to our club in 2013? It was the 90s! Since then I've very rarely seen anything as cheap as the heat-pressed felt badge. Do you really think that because something that was acceptable in the 90s has reappeared in 2013 I should forget about what has developed and improved in between?

The stitching issue has been an issue since day one. It's present on pretty much every top and was one of the reasons I didn't by one for myself. The wee man wants to wear the new top in the clubs colours - tops with the stiitching issue are what are available. It's clear to all. I think that this is just a by-product of an inferior product/production method rather than a fault as such. After all, if it was a fault, why would TTL hang and display them rather than just send them back to the manufacturer?

Why you feel you have to defend TTL to the point of inventing situations and making false comparisons is beyond me.

• Like 3

I'd rather have a winning team on the park, the industrial unit Joma Scotland headquarters not Jags shop, because let's face it , it's not,. St Johnstone / Queen of the South call it there shop too.

As I said I'd rather have a winning team on the park.

PS our club could not market a winning lottery ticket, can't get the shop/ catering/DVD/tag/ or anything right who is the manager of all this stuff can't they see there not getting it correct?.

• Like 1

I'd rather have a winning team on the park, the industrial unit Joma Scotland headquarters not Jags shop, because let's face it , it's not,. St Johnstone / Queen of the South call it there shop too.

As I said I'd rather have a winning team on the park.

PS our club could not market a winning lottery ticket, can't get the shop/ catering/DVD/tag/ or anything right who is the manager of all this stuff can't they see there not getting it correct?.

It's not even amateur level.

I went to a Fleetwood Town game - a League 2 club in a town of 28,000 people - and their set up - catering, hospitality, supporters' bar, club shop etc. blows Thistle out the water.

Edited by Charlie Endell

One other advantage of the City Centre Greaves location was for friends, family or work colleagues who were not themselves Jags fans but would know that any Thistle item would be a safe bet for a present for me. Greaves was a known place easily accessed by those working in, or on a shopping excursion to, town. Sadly such people will not hunt down Joma and will buy something else, so no Jags items in the Christmas stocking for me this year (except the tie and calendar I bought myself at the Club and passed to others to give back to me)!

• Like 1

It's not even amateur level.

I went to a Fleetwood Town game - a League 2 club in a town of 28,000 people - and their set up - catering, hospitality, supporters' bar, club shop etc. blows Thistle out the water.

This is clearly true, no do doubt about it. Worth keeping in mind, though, that everything at Fleetwood Town is down to the a one man investment machine: a local businessman, Andy Pilly, who got rich a few years ago and who has pumped gazillions into the Cod Army project.

I would hope he never gets bored of living his dream as so many people of the town would be losers. That said, the set-up at Highbury Rd is quite dazzling and favourably disproportionate to the size of the town.

This is clearly true, no do doubt about it. Worth keeping in mind, though, that everything at Fleetwood Town is down to the a one man investment machine: a local businessman, Andy Pilly, who got rich a few years ago and who has pumped gazillions into the Cod Army project.

I would hope he never gets bored of living his dream as so many people of the town would be losers. That said, the set-up at Highbury Rd is quite dazzling and favourably disproportionate to the size of the town.

Sounds like it has Gretna-esque potential!

Here's a novel idea.

Get Greaves to stock our strips and perhaps a training top or two without having to be in a 'deal' as such and punt a wider range of stuff in the shop at Firhill.

Everyone's happy.

Exactly this. It's a big failure that as one of two Glasgow teams in the Premiership, most (if not all) sports shops in town do not stock any of our gear. Has any attempt been made to persuade them to do so? You know, raise the profile, so that maybe even some casual shoppers/tourists may buy our stuff? I don't know, but somehow I very much doubt it.

Sounds like it has Gretna-esque potential!

Over 2,800 at the game I was at (Mansfield) which is impressive given the size of the town. To be fair, I think they give away free season tickets to bairns. I was gobsmacked at Jimmy's bar - you can get a pint any time during the game - reasonable prices, nicely kitted out (even have TVs in the bog - were showing Arsenal game on Canal) and speedy service.

It's a cracking day out actually - Strawberry Gardens pub in the town has a dazzling array of ales and Sid Little (yes, that Sid Little!) does the catering.

Edited by Charlie Endell

While I think it is wrong to romanticise the past (remember we were months without a home top last season) I don't think many people are doing that. People on here are just not agreeing that the current situation with TTL is better than our situation with Greeves. You seem to constantly change your arguments in a bid to defend TTL, eventually just settling on a default of saying any 'issues' are with the complainer and not TTL.

When the OP mentioned boxes lying around and general messiness, your reply was that it was unfortunate that he had clearly visited just after a delivery. You could have no way of knowing this was the case, but you were happy to use it as a defence, but in defending it by inventing a reason you tacitly accept that it isn't a great situation. Except you won't actually bring yourself to say that. When several of us seem to have had a similar experience, you change your argument and ask how we cope in a supermarket when they are restocking! To compare the unit with a shop which has a massive stock turnover is just daft - I was in Waterstones today and there were no boxes lying around. If you ran a retail shop you wouldn't have boxes lying around. Anyway, supermarkets, Waterstones - it's immaterial as neither of these are actually REPRESENTING OUR CLUB. Sorry - can't find italics!

When some suggest that the stock itself isn't to our taste and list grievances, you just say it's better than what we had. I've got a problem with the cheapness of the felt badge. You asking how I survived the 90s - how is that relevant to our club in 2013? It was the 90s! Since then I've very rarely seen anything as cheap as the heat-pressed felt badge. Do you really think that because something that was acceptable in the 90s has reappeared in 2013 I should forget about what has developed and improved in between?

The stitching issue has been an issue since day one. It's present on pretty much every top and was one of the reasons I didn't by one for myself. The wee man wants to wear the new top in the clubs colours - tops with the stiitching issue are what are available. It's clear to all. I think that this is just a by-product of an inferior product/production method rather than a fault as such. After all, if it was a fault, why would TTL hang and display them rather than just send them back to the manufacturer?

Why you feel you have to defend TTL to the point of inventing situations and making false comparisons is beyond me.

I take it you completely missed my point about the comparison between the black and white badge and the yellow and black badge and the fact I don't like the black and white badge?

The point about the 90s bAdges is more to do with how they are applied to the strip as opposed to them being felt at that time.

The boxes on the floor, me personally, I couldn't give two shits if there's boxes on the floor if I go in. My point regarding deliveries is that they happen, if folk are in the shop after a delivery then so ****, is it really such a big issue? My god there was boxes on the floor, how can I possibly bring non thistle fans in here! Jesus wept!

When I bought the home top, I wanted it in long sleeve, but I asked them to go through every top in my size until I got one that wasn't stretched. But that's me, I don't accept poor quality... It seems the majority of thistle fans however do accept buying poor quality. Then come on here to moan about it... If it's not up to the standard you accept, don't buy it! Email the club and tell them the stock is poor quality. Don't bloody buy shite knowing its shite then come on a forum to complain you've just bought shite!

There are issues with joma/TTL which I have experienced which I'm not willing to go into on a public forum, but it was resolved and both parties, we moved on. If I went into detail you'd be amazed I take the position I do.

I can honestly say I thought the last two years of the greaves deal were a waste of time for both parties. But that's my opinion. I didn't like their range at all for starters. Hence why I probably got involved in choosing this range.

It's disappointing that there is stuff out of stock, that's the main issue for me, the rest I can take or leave and think there are bigger things to worry about...,

Like what the club aren't doing to offer an alternative range. Joma/TTL are a sportswear manufacturer, they aren't here to make scarves and teddy bears... The club should be doing that. St Johnstone are, so why aren't we? That's the biggest issue in all this for me.

I think there is a gap in merchandise, of those little odds and ends. If you want a strip you will seek it out and buy it. However, those little things like scarves, pen etc are hard to source. Although there are some small items on the club site from the shop. I think we miss out on a lot of impulse buys, by not having the shop in the Jackie Husband stand anymore. Anytime I took my son to Firhill when he was younger, it used cost me a few pound more as he would want something from there. I didn't mind as it kinda cemented his love for the Jags. Although there is an upside to outsourcing, there is also the missed opportunity of the buying at the stadium particularly at half time with a trapped audience and kids with money to spend.

Hmm, I bought tons of Jags stuff from Greaves, and would often call in there as I walked up Sauchiehall St. on my way to Firhill.

I don't use a car, have no real idea where the "industrial estate" in which the Jags stuff unit is to be found, I don't think much of the new merchandise, and haven't bought a single Jags top or leisure item since the new regime was in place. I don't see myself ever going out of my way to get to the new place.

Basically, that's hundreds of quid that normally would have gone on Jags gear going on other things instead.

• Like 1

Hmm, I bought tons of Jags stuff from Greaves, and would often call in there as I walked up Sauchiehall St. on my way to Firhill.

I don't use a car, have no real idea where the "industrial estate" in which the Jags stuff unit is to be found, I don't think much of the new merchandise, and haven't bought a single Jags top or leisure item since the new regime was in place. I don't see myself ever going out of my way to get to the new place.

Basically, that's hundreds of quid that normally would have gone on Jags gear going on other things instead.

I'm the same, don't drive, don't live nearby, have read it's crap, can't be arsed going.

Have never understood why clubs of our size dont partner with various online retailers such as spreadshirt/cafepress/vistaprint and use them to provide t-shirts/polos etc. All that is needed is an agreement on the design to be used and the club get paid for every one sold (the design that is) and a % of the total item cost. Removes the need to hold large stocks, gives a great online presence. Only draw back is that there is no up front fee and nothing is guaranteed.

Here's a novel idea.

Get Greaves to stock our strips and perhaps a training top or two without having to be in a 'deal' as such and punt a wider range of stuff in the shop at Firhill.

Everyone's happy.

Well everyone's happy apart from the company who have the contract to distribute the kit, TTL... Or are you saying that Greaves would have to sell it at a more expensive price to make a profit for themselves, before they hand over the takings to TTL?

Say this deal did go ahead that you suggest with greaves stocking a reduced range, how long do you think it would be before folk are moaning, I can only get the black polo in greaves, why don't they stock the white one, it's an absolute disgrace, I had to go to greaves to buy the red training top, but they don't stock the grey hoodie and my son wants the grey hoodie, so I had to type a post code into my sat nav, I mean, imagine having to use my sat nav!!! then drive for five minute to the scariest industrial estate in Scotland,

And then when I get to the unit I find they stock the red training top and it's five pound cheaper, but they won't give me a refund on the increased price from greaves... And on and on we go, folk posting on a football forum moaning about the smallest pettiest thing in the world to other folk, whilst at no point contacting the club or TTL to have their issue addressed.

Exactly this. It's a big failure that as one of two Glasgow teams in the Premiership, most (if not all) sports shops in town do not stock any of our gear. Has any attempt been made to persuade them to do so? You know, raise the profile, so that maybe even some casual shoppers/tourists may buy our stuff? I don't know, but somehow I very much doubt it.

So I'll ask you as well Colin, how much mark up would you deem acceptable for greaves to put on a home top, for them to make a profit, before they hand the 40 quid over to TTL?

When the ship lands at the dock with a delivery of kit for greaves, who will handle the transport costs to the greaves store? Or are you saying that TTL do all the handling work for greaves, split down greaves delivery, then deliver it to greaves free of charge?

You've obviously put a bit of thought into this, how many casual shoppers/tourist do you think there are in Glasgow willing to spend 40+ quid on a partick thistle football strip?

To me, the TTL setup sounds like a wholsale outlet, cutting out the middleman (retail outlet). This being the case, either Thistle are getting a bigger cut of the gear sold or TTL are!

Do they or Thistle open the shop on matchdays to offer a service this way?

Club shop at firhill open every match day.

They've extended the port dundas site twice to deal with the demand as it's well above expectation and are just about to start extending again to have a dedicated delivery area.

Had a good laugh reading through this topic. There is a certain amount of defending the indefensible. The shop is not your traditional shop. It is an industrial unit with a till with no passing trade via footfall. I am glad that sales are going well and passing expectation, but without knowing what expectation was, I have no idea if this is a great result.

Potty, You mentioned it was not puma who made the last kit. Who makes this one? Joma? TTL? My son has a few Spanish teams kits made by Joma, but they are far superior to the Thistle gear.

Apart from all that the range of gear is not the best. Any standard Joma stuff with a thistle badge on it for a pretty premium. Have a look at the range from that globally renowned team of superstars, Ayr United. Their web page and range puts us to shame.