Baird

GrantB

None of them are Centre Forwards though TL. He's not even getting into position to miss sitters. His miss against St Mirren is possibly the only real goalscoring opportunity he's had and that's not good enough for a forward.

So he misses one sitter from one goal scoring oppurtunity and you condem him jeez oh I don't think there is one striker on the planet that hasn't missed a sitter

Said this before but Archie made an error playing Baird as a lone striker. The fact he had him in front of Doolan makes the decision even worse. Baird is best when is able to drop off into the hole and find space. It's no accident he has had a lot of successful striker partners - he is a very unselfish player who creates space for other with his movement.

When he was with Airdrie I posted a number of times on the Thistle forum that we should sign him. He was out of contract and if I remember right that is the year Airdrie went down. Big error as Raith got him on pre contract and then when on to win PFA top player in Division one.

In the system we play he has to be played in the attacking left midfield role. Or bring him on with 20 mins to go in the striker role. He is very low on confidence in front of goal but he can finish.

If we do get a good offer for him to go on loan then I would not be against it if it means bringing somebody better in. One of the big problems in this team is the lack of goals from players like Baird, Higgy, Forbes.

Edited by Alan Murray

None of them are Centre Forwards though TL. He's not even getting into position to miss sitters. His miss against St Mirren is possibly the only real goalscoring opportunity he's had and that's not good enough for a forward.

They might not be centre forwards Will, but Archie has stated on a few occasions he was also looking for his midfield to contribute too a number of goals in a similar way that guys like Erskine, Lawless etc were able too, aside from Lawless there hasnt really been many at all.

Agree Baird needs to contribute some goals, however in order to do so he does really need to get more starts, though of course he should be fully behind Doolan and Taylor in the line up. With Mukendi and McGuigan possibly not coming back then I dont think we have any other forwards than those 3 as I presume Duggan is injured just now

Edited by Third Lanark

I'm not aware of any improvement under Brown. And given their history I'd take Dundee fans opinions with a pinch of salt.

Going on what I read Baird was playing wide midfield before Brown was appointed. Brown moved him to play behind the striker and his form improved. I think 3 of his 4 goals came after Brown arrived.

I'm not aware of any improvement under Brown. And given their history I'd take Dundee fans opinions with a pinch of salt.

Three of his four goals last season were under Brown's management and he made fourteen appearances when Brown was in charge. Three goals in fourteen appearances is a lot better than one goal in twenty-three.

Not defending Baird or him as a signing, just showing there was an improvement under Brown towards the end of the season at Dundee.

Edited by mhs

Their opinion on Baird and Kerr seems to be largely shared by our manager this season. Not good enough.

We have a crisis in central midfield. If Kerr doesn't play against Ross County this weekend then I think ti will speak volumes on the management team's assessment of him.

He scored five goals under Brown when he got to play as a striker plus he had a two month stint on the bench under Barry Smith he also was played out wide at first. It's not going to change anything anyway he has a two year deal I doubt he will be in a hurry to reduce his wages elsewhere in the championship.

Edited by thistlenowthistleforever

Going on what I read Baird was playing wide midfield before Brown was appointed. Brown moved him to play behind the striker and his form improved. I think 3 of his 4 goals came after Brown arrived.

He scored maybe three or could be four goals in a dozen plus league games when he was moved out of midfield. From what I heard he did rather better playing in his previous position. A position he played week in week out.

I'm not suggesting for a moment we should start Baird out wide. I am suggesting Archie signed him more for this adaptability but hoping he could still chip in with a goal or two. A squad player no more no less Maybe more of an understudy for Lawless rather than Doolan? Certainly that's the way it's panned out so far in terms of the way he's played rather than who he's subbed.

I suppose Archie will be disappointed that all Baird has achieved so far has been to provide fresh legs rather than change a game. I don't however think he'll view it as a major disappointment as I doubt his expectations were too high.

Yes. Remember, Archie was trying to sign a striker from the English leagues in the summer window (not Taylor) and that fell through thanks to the SFA (also affected other teams as well as us) - it's very likely that player would have been our main striker rather than Baird or Dools. Baird wasn't expected to be our main striker but as things panned out maybe more pressure was put on him than there should have been.

I think most people will admit that Baird is not the same player as the one that played very well against us for Raith.

But that was against a poor Thistle team in a poor league.

A few signing this sesson were a gamble and haven't work out.

He's one of them and it's time to move him on.

• Like 1

The problem with Baird is not where he plays, it's his finishing. He did well early in the season playing on the shoulder of the defender and spinning out into the channels. The problem is that his shooting is awful and he's clearly not an instinctive finisher. I've not cheked, but I bet most of his goals are scrappy numbers rather then composed well-taken finishes. He's simply not going to score enough goals.

• Like 1

The only four Baird goals on Youtube (the forum won't allow me to post four links to Youtube, so I've had to wangle it below), presumably these are the best he's scored:

and
and
and

This confirms what I thought, he's not a good finisher. One of these is a header in the six yard box. Three are decent strikes, but in two of them he gets a break of the ball and I would say none of them are solid finishes (i.e. true strikes along the ground (think Boyd finishes)). The goal against Hibs was weak, to the wrong post, and the keeper should have stopped. The other two he gets a break of the ball after a poor touch, and are curling efforts rather than true strikes.

His battling qualities and his ability to find space on the shoulder of the defenders are his best atributes. He'll never score more than ten goals a season in the top flight. I don't think he's what we need, he doesn't get enough goals to play lone striker, and he's not as good a finisher/playmaker as Lawless so shouldn't play in the hole.

The problem we have is that Baird, Elliott, Higginbotham, and Craigen are not goal scorers. That's why I would choose Lawless every week over these guys, we need to score goals to stay up.

• Like 2