Spelling And Grammar On Ptfc Website

gerrybritton9

Have you seen the two new articles on the club site? There is an article about Gary Fraser and it is really lacking a bit of punctuation. The article about Conrad seems to keep using the word "peroid "

Bit embarrassing!

I note that you swiftly addressed your own spelling error there sir - cough cough!

I note that you swiftly addressed your own spelling error there sir - cough cough!

He has a fair point.

Forums like this are like pubs (or cafes for you non-drinkers) where guys lounge about making conversation: sometimes it's serious, sometimes it's nonsense but it's usually relaxed and nobody bothers if anyone makes a slip of speech or grammar, it's just ordinary conversation.

The Official Web site - note "official" represents the club to the outside world and care should be taken that it gives as good an impression as possible, It's if you like the same person who was talking in his ordinary sloppy relaxed way in the pub is being interviewed or is dealing with an important customer at his work. He takes a lot more care with how he talks in that situation - not 'posh' but in a way to make a good impression.

Now I know there are some things on the OS they can't control so easily - the live updates from games for instance - but putting up an article is straightforward and if you aren't good at proofing, type it up in Word and use the spell/grammar test before putting it on the site. Won't be perfect but should catch the worst mistakes. Or get a mate to have a quick look as well if there's time - other folk's mistakes are easier to spot than your own.

All of that novel above was to say it's worth mentioning because 1) it affects the image of the club and B) it isn't hard to fix or at least cut out a lot of mistakes.

Edited by Mr Bunny
  • Like 4

Got to hold up my hands up. I'm an embarrassing shambles.who presents an unprofessional image of the Club. Only taken me 22 years of unpaid work, the last 6 months during incredibly difficult personal circumstances, in my own time while holding down a full-time job to realise that. Thank goodness it finally dawned on me.

I do sometimes notice spelling mistakes on the club website, but then again, I notice them on the BBC news site, other newspaper websites and the websites of just about every other football club that I've ever looked at. I think I'm over it and I think I can forgive Tom, as hard as those typos were on me personally.

Just another example of the level this club has sunk to. The North stand, TAG, tickets for the New Year's Day game, the numbers going to Tynecastle and now the standard of English on the feeshul website. I sometimes don't know if it's a football club or an incontinence support group I'm supporting considering the amount of pish that slops about on here sometimes...

Could people PLEASE get a sense of perspective FFS!

Just another example of the level this club has sunk to. The North stand, TAG, tickets for the New Year's Day game, the numbers going to Tynecastle and now the standard of English on the feeshul website. I sometimes don't know if it's a football club or an incontinence support group I'm supporting considering the amount of pish that slops about on here sometimes...

Could people PLEASE get a sense of perspective FFS!

Thank you. Best comment I've read on here in years. (I'm a birthday boy this morning and this has started the day off with a laugh. Just hope Thistle don't ruin it all this afternoon...)

It's fair point re BBC/online papers etc. and I've noticed that myself. It seems that in an age where it should be easier to proof properly they can't be arsed but just because they are unprofessional doesn't mean we have to be . Two points.

1) No one's tearing their hair out about this - it's just a passing comment, we'd like it to be better but we're not going to have a go at the folk that run the site because of it. From my point of view I only commented with a suggestion that might (or might not) help.

2) Our site's a small site and the limited time volunteers can work on it does make it harder than for the big organisations but it doesn't mean they shouldn't take on board comments about perceived problems and think about ways of avoiding them (if they can do so without affecting the core job of getting the info out.

3) (Yeah Monty Python territory here) who's to say how big a thing should be before we comment on it? Small things are worth commenting on too, provided no mountains are made out of molehills.

Sorry if I annoyed anyone. i was just making a passing comment- no harm intended.

Archie himself says that the problem with social media is that things get over scrutinised and replayed and commented on. I think he said that he hadn't noticed Banzo moving in a wall in a free kick and yet the TV played it over and over again. He felt that the pundits were heaping blame on Banzo and that it dented his confidence.

I know for a fact that lots of people I work with think I'm a good guy- but a lot don't. I think that must be very hard if people write comments about you and post them all over the place.

Anyway, it is true to say that we have the best fans in the world because we are all together and are all brothers and sisters. We all do the best that we can for our boys and our club.

And every day, when I wake up, I thank the Lord for 2013 and to have the Jags in the top division. Enjoying it while it lasts!

Small things are worth commenting on too, provided no mountains are made out of molehills.

They are indeed.

I suppose everything is relative and a molehill would look like a mountain to an ant. Then again ants have anthills. If on occasions an anthill is bigger than a molehill surely it would be an ant mountain? And if not an ant's in what creature's perspective are we to gauge a molehill? I doubt any mole with even a modicum of self respect would call it's pile of earth a hill.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

I suppose everything is relative and a molehill would look like a mountain to an ant. Then again ants have anthills. If on occasions an anthill is bigger than a molehill surely it would be an ant mountain? And if not an ant's in what creature's perspective are we to gauge a molehill? I doubt any mole with even a modicum of self respect would call it's pile of earth a hill.

I suppse it would depend on the sedentariness of the mole. I'm sure it was the sophists who claimed that there is no objective truth regarding molehills. Everything mole-related is relative. Wittgenstein, on the other hand, didn't think we would understand the mole even if we spoke the same language. I need a drink. Surely that is true, or is Descartes' demon up to no good again?

Edited by Stewarty

They are indeed.

You know that the its in your last sentence is possessive and so shouldn't have an apostophe? I'll get my coat.