The Mc Donalds Go Mad 1996 V h*ns

Jimmy McD

Two class footballers on show showing that class against a couple of Ronald Mcdonald's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCiap0vN2S4

That really isnt a good game to post on this Forum . It is infamous in the memory of many a Thistle fan. The name McGilvary still today is held in revulsion amongst Jags fans. A ref who cheated, admited it ,and still the game was never replayed.

Rod MacDonald sent off for two bookings the first which was for that worst of all football crimes crossing yourself as he left the pitch.

I gave up going to games for a while after that I was so disgusted with Scottish football.

Edited by angry gaz
  • Like 1

That really isnt a good game to post on this Forum . It is imfamous in the memory of many a Thistle fan. The name McGilvary still today is held in revulsion amongst Jags fans. A ref who cheated, admited it ,and still the game was never replayed.

What was it he said again? That he knew he'd made mistakes - booking Rod McDonald for crossing himself, and not sending off Gascoigne - but he was too scared of the reaction of the Rangers fans?

Must certainly make you proud of the club that died and your fellow supporters, billko. Nothing but class and dignity shown that day.

Still, Rd McDonald's equaliser is one of the most vivid memories I have, and I barely remember last week.

Get a grip folks

You blame Rangers fans for this?

One of those Mcdonald boys totally loses the plot in this game and you all want to blame it on the Rangers fans.

Unbelieveable stuff and the OP thinks it's a must see for Jags fans

As for not affording them, well you all got to see two world class footballers play at Firhill that day and they certainly attracted the crowds to the game.

I watched this weeks ago and don't need reminding of the bad tackles in the game but in a football sense Laudrup was immense and Gazza took the flack from the Jags fans that day but had the last laugh.

You appear to be a half decent bloke Billko but with respect two guys among loads of others that your old team bought and couldn't afford. Tantamount to cheating methinks!

Same old stuff Lindau but it's doesn't matter a jot what you or anybody else thinks.

Cheating?

I don't think so and don't see the history books saying so either.

What was it he said again? That he knew he'd made mistakes - booking Rod McDonald for crossing himself, and not sending off Gascoigne - but he was too scared of the reaction of the Rangers fans?

Must certainly make you proud of the club that died and your fellow supporters, billko. Nothing but class and dignity shown that day.

Still, Rd McDonald's equaliser is one of the most vivid memories I have, and I barely remember last week.

With all due respect and i don't intend for this getting out of hand as the thread is all about the Mcdonald boys and not about Rangers but you know how things go here.

You pick one game where the ref apparently made mistakes and maybe was intimmadated by a support?

Does this not happen every week in every league in every country

So the Jags fans just sat and clapped Gazza's skills and applauded everything Laudrup and the rest of the Rangers players did that day?

I see opposition fans who think they are all nicey nicey lose the plot and no doubt the Jags fans were pumped up that day like those players were.

That's football up here and that's what you get every week from opposition fans and players when playing Rangers.

Easily the angriest I've ever been at a football match. Blatant cheating right in front of your eyes. My feelings about said referee remain as strong as ever. Gascogne should have walked for half a dozen different incidents. Amazing a ref could admit he should have sent Gazza off but the game didn't get replayed. Oliver tried to get it replayed (and was even part of the governing body iirc but you just knew the injustice would stand.

• Like 1

Did McGillvary not stand down from refereeing after his disgusting and biased performance in this match? Wee Billy did lose the plot and the red mist came down, but that wasn't helped by the repeated use of Gazza's elbows on his noggin.

1 minute into this vid Laudrup was denied a stonewall penalty, 2nd penalty when Walker brings down Miller.

Ref is a cheat right enough.

Gazza getting booked for leaving the field to celebrate in front of the Rangers fans.

Take off the red n yella tinted specs and you will se two world class players on show gracing the Firhill pitch

I was only 8 years old at the time so don't recall the live game or initial reaction. I have heard a lot about this game and how it spoiled Billy's career/reputation and the unbelievable booking for Rod crossing himself!

However, this is the first time I have seen decent highlights and my first thoughts were that it was a filthy match for both teams and we should have given away two or three penalties! Gazza should have walked for his flying arms and elbows early in second half but I was shocked how some of our "challenges" went unpunished.

Looks to me that the ref was the one to lose the plot first - had no control of the game and made blunder after blunder until it was a mess.

Interesting viewing and good to see such fight, although not great sportsmanship!

Edited by mhs

With all due respect and i don't intend for this getting out of hand as the thread is all about the Mcdonald boys and not about Rangers but you know how things go here.

You pick one game where the ref apparently made mistakes and maybe was intimmadated by a support?

Does this not happen every week in every league in every country

So the Jags fans just sat and clapped Gazza's skills and applauded everything Laudrup and the rest of the Rangers players did that day?

I see opposition fans who think they are all nicey nicey lose the plot and no doubt the Jags fans were pumped up that day like those players were.

That's football up here and that's what you get every week from opposition fans and players when playing Rangers.

Yes, at every opportunity you come on here to rave about your h un heroes, and I for one wish you would just p*ss off to Follow Follow or wherever it is that neanderthals post.

Yes, at every opportunity you come on here to rave about your h un heroes, and I for one wish you would just p*ss off to Follow Follow or wherever it is that neanderthals post.

No i defend them from the morons like yourself who continually have a go.

Using the H*n word at every oppurtunity must make you feel good eh?

I don't talk about my team here or gloat but others talk alot about my team constantly.

As for Follow Follow you probably visit that site more than i do.

So you take that big chip that's on your shoulder and go do one you bitter person that you are.

This was one of the most shameful incidents in Scottish Football's long history. Rod McDonald was booked for blessing himself as he left the pitch at half-time; something he did every time he came on or left the field of play. Basically the referee booked him for expressing his religious beliefs. Only in Glasgow. Nobody could believe it when the red card came out when he was booked in the second half.

The referee admitted, in a no doubt well remunerated newspaper article, after the game that he didn't apply the rules of the game equally. Not seeing a penalty is a mistake. Not applying the rules of the game fairly is cheating.

The referee later quit. No loss to the game.

Edited by Tom Hosie
  • Like 1

No i defend them from the morons like yourself who continually have a go.

Using the H*n word at every oppurtunity must make you feel good eh?

I don't talk about my team here or gloat but others talk alot about my team constantly.

As for Follow Follow you probably visit that site more than i do.

So you take that big chip that's on your shoulder and go do one you bitter person that you are.

:no: Denial, just as with your dead club.

I've never ever visited FF, for your information. Bitter against the hatred and crime that your dead club has brought to Scotland? Yes.

H*n.....H*n

Line breaks: H*n

Pronunciation: /hʌn /

NOUN

1a member of a warlike Asiatic nomadic people who invaded and ravaged Europe in the 4th-5th centuries.

MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES

2 • informal , • derogatory a German (especially during the First and Second World Wars).

2.1 (the H*n) Germans collectively:

millions of boys were eager to go and fight the H*n

So where do rangers fans getting called h*ns come from genuine question! it's always puzzled me

H*n.....H*n

Line breaks: H*n

Pronunciation: /hʌn /

NOUN

1a member of a warlike Asiatic nomadic people who invaded and ravaged Europe in the 4th-5th centuries.

MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES

2 • informal , • derogatory a German (especially during the First and Second World Wars).

2.1 (the H*n) Germans collectively:

millions of boys were eager to go and fight the H*n

So where do rangers fans getting called h*ns come from genuine question! it's always puzzled me

I think it has something to do with their allegiance to the British Royal Family, who in turn have part-Germanic roots. The fact that the h uns were barbarians might be coincidence.

The first Thistle v Rangers game I went to was at Firhill in 1971 - our wee right winger,John Gibson was sensational, scoring twice and shredding Rangers defence to set up the third. He didn't make it past half time though - he was brutally booted out the game.

About two years later, I went to see Thistle play Rangers at Ibrox. Ronnie Glavin was carving through their defence at will. He was hacked down in the box and amazingly the ref gave a penalty. Ten minutes later he was through again before being rugby tackled in the box - play was waved on. Ronnie too was another injury victim in that match.

Something of a pattern there - the injuries didn't seem to be caused by mis-timed challenges but more deliberate thuggish assaults because Rangers couldn't deal with skillful opposition players. The perpetrator in both cases was John Greig - voted by fans as the Greatest Ever Ranger. He wasn't booked in either match.

I wasn't at the game in 1996 but I do remember that the Ref's admission confirmed what I always believed - that referees were scared to give decisions against Rangers.

I like Bilko's reports on the youth games and he has made some very perceptive contributions on the style of football Thistle are trying to play...but Rangers, Dead Rangers - no-one likes you...and there's a lot of reasons for that.

Same old stuff Lindau but it's doesn't matter a jot what you or anybody else thinks.

Cheating?

I don't think so and don't see the history books saying so either.

Similarly It doesn't matter a jot what you think. Elbows Gascoigne could have been sent off 4 times in that game. Yes/no? Your club was liquidated and went out of business Yes/no It was proven that you cheated by buying players your club couldn't afford. Jeez your club couldn't even afford to pay its £150 paper bill in the end or £50 to a face painting business! Yes/no.Your old club and your new club are the most religiously bigoted football clubs in world football Yes/no. Something for both your clubs to be mighty proud of. Honestly I have never understood why Sevco supporters don't know the meaning of LIQUIDATION

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/liquidation.html

Edited by Lindau