Hearts

p12tfc

Forget yesterday ! Celebrate today !! Sevco humped by Raith and an ex Jags man doing it !! My prayers were answered , I honestly was wishing Baird to score when I saw the scoreline at 0-0 1st period of ET, and then it happened only perhaps 15 mins later , this has helped me get over the bad result from yesterday and I'm sure it will help all of us , we can still stay up , stop worrying !! Lets hear it for "The Jags" !!

• Members

Just watched the highlights. What terrible defending. Really lazy.

First goal. Hamiil is allowed to receive a throw in just inside our half and easily beats first Taylor, then Higgingbotham with great ease which then allows him to throw a high ball in towards the far centre of our defence where McMillan has had to come in and cover because both our central defenders have gone to the left hand side of centre. No-one is therefore picking up the Hearts attacking left hand sided player till Doolan runs from the left hand side of the box. McMillan and Erskine both makes run towards the ball but neither go to help Doolan or try to pick up the onrushing Hearts players. Doolan is easily beaten and the ball played in between McMillan and Erskine and behind them for Carrick to score.

Second goal. I can recall at least 2 other goals we've lost like that this season. Big long punted free kick from the opposition keeper from midway inside their half on the right hand side, we fail to win the first or second ball and shortly after it's in the back of the net. I could understand us losing one goal like this in a season, but to lose three is just criminal. Every week we see defenders using their physique to muscle Taylor away at the edge of the box, our defenders just seem to stand off and wait to see what's going to happen.

Third goal. McMillan marking Hearts tallest forward. Gets up as high as he can, but it's not enough. Wrong guy up against Stevenson. That was a bad tactical mistake. McMillan has to shoulder some blame for the first two goals, but he had no chance here. We nearly lost a goal in the first half to something similar but for a great Gallagher save. Again, we are constantly failing at the same scenarios. It's frightening that the players aren't learning what to do at these situations.

Fourth goal. ATS. Plain and simple. Buaben does his best get back. Gabby could have maybe gone more towards the edge of the box and Stevenson, but I think he's covering the right area in case the ball is played along the 6yd line, so excused. Maybe Mair could also have been a bit closer, but Stevenson took the shot quickly and extremely well, not giving Mair much of a chance to get in a block or challenge. Also thought ATS could also have slid in and intercepted the pass to Stevenson.

On the whole, I'd say a fair percentage of the blame for goals 2 and 3 must lie with the management team. We've lost too many of the same type of goal this season for them to have fixed it yet. It may be that we don't have the personnel to fix it now, I don't know. But they have to come up with some solution. When you watch any of our highlights when there is a corner against us. The players seem to be confused about what they are supposed to be doing. They need to be on top of this for these final 5 games

Just watched the highlights. What terrible defending. Really lazy.

First goal. Hamiil is allowed to receive a throw in just inside our half and easily beats first Taylor, then Higgingbotham with great ease which then allows him to throw a high ball in towards the far centre of our defence where McMillan has had to come in and cover because both our central defenders have gone to the left hand side of centre. No-one is therefore picking up the Hearts attacking left hand sided player till Doolan runs from the left hand side of the box. McMillan and Erskine both makes run towards the ball but neither go to help Doolan or try to pick up the onrushing Hearts players. Doolan is easily beaten and the ball played in between McMillan and Erskine and behind them for Carrick to score.

Second goal. I can recall at least 2 other goals we've lost like that this season. Big long punted free kick from the opposition keeper from midway inside their half on the right hand side, we fail to win the first or second ball and shortly after it's in the back of the net. I could understand us losing one goal like this in a season, but to lose three is just criminal. Every week we see defenders using their physique to muscle Taylor away at the edge of the box, our defenders just seem to stand off and wait to see what's going to happen.

Third goal. McMillan marking Hearts tallest forward. Gets up as high as he can, but it's not enough. Wrong guy up against Stevenson. That was a bad tactical mistake. McMillan has to shoulder some blame for the first two goals, but he had no chance here. We nearly lost a goal in the first half to something similar but for a great Gallagher save. Again, we are constantly failing at the same scenarios. It's frightening that the players aren't learning what to do at these situations.

Fourth goal. ATS. Plain and simple. Buaben does his best get back. Gabby could have maybe gone more towards the edge of the box and Stevenson, but I think he's covering the right area in case the ball is played along the 6yd line, so excused. Maybe Mair could also have been a bit closer, but Stevenson took the shot quickly and extremely well, not giving Mair much of a chance to get in a block or challenge. Also thought ATS could also have slid in and intercepted the pass to Stevenson.

On the whole, I'd say a fair percentage of the blame for goals 2 and 3 must lie with the management team. We've lost too many of the same type of goal this season for them to have fixed it yet. It may be that we don't have the personnel to fix it now, I don't know. But they have to come up with some solution. When you watch any of our highlights when there is a corner against us. The players seem to be confused about what they are supposed to be doing. They need to be on top of this for these final 5 games

Exactly....no indication of learning from repeated mistakes....worrying

I see that Archie is "baffled" by our display on Saturday.

So he has no idea what went wrong yet 3000 people in the stands could see.

That is worrying going into the club's 5 biggest games in a very long time.

Look at you taking quotes out of context, to suit your agenda. Doesn't do much for your credibility, i'm afraid.

Here's the match reaction from the club's official website. Doesn't read to me that he has no idea what went wrong.

http://ptfc.co.uk/teams/senior/seasons/2013-2014/fixtures_results/0504_heart_of_midlothian/match_reaction

"We stopped doing what we were doing ever so well and that changed the pattern of the game... It wasn’t a surprise when they equalised. We started to give them possession in our half and we dropped a little too deep for my liking and we gave them too much space... Regardless of how we were playing the goals that we gave away were poor goals. Two of them came from set plays and that kills you. We had gone two up front as well with Kris Doolan up top with Lyle Taylor in an attempt to get back into the game. We went two up front because this was a game that were looking to win and we were a goal behind and we wanted to get back into the game as quickly as possible and that’s what we tried to do... After the first 20 minutes I think Hearts played with a freedom and we didn’t. We played with a fear. You can’t be fearful in the position that we are in. You have to stand up and show character and spirit and that’s what we’ll need to do to stay in this league."

Edited by potty trained

Look at you taking quotes out of context, to suit your agenda. Doesn't do much for your credibility, i'm afraid.

http://ptfc.co.uk/teams/senior/seasons/2013-2014/fixtures_results/0504_heart_of_midlothian/match_reaction

"We stopped doing what we were doing ever so well and that changed the pattern of the game... It wasn’t a surprise when they equalised. We started to give them possession in our half and we dropped a little too deep for my liking and we gave them too much space...

We had gone two up front as well with Kris Doolan up top with Lyle Taylor in an attempt to get back into the game.

We went two up front because this was a game that were looking to win and we were a goal behind and we wanted to get back into the game as quickly as possible..."

Here's me again.

If it wasn't a surprise to Archibald that they equalised why did he stand impassive on the touchline doing nothing about it in the lead up?

On the going 2 up front after they've gone 2-1 up... Why not play Doolan there to start with? He's a centre forward not a midfielder.

Alternatively why not start a midfielder in there? Might have stopped them getting the foothold into the game in first place. We had 3 on the bench in Craigen, Moncur & Bauben.

Truthfully. It looks to me like Doolan scored the equaliser up in Perth the previous weekend so he had to find a place in the team the following week.

I find his comments & justifications/excuses baffling!!

Here's me again.

If it wasn't a surprise to Archibald that they equalised why did he stand impassive on the touchline doing nothing about it in the lead up?

On the going 2 up front after they've gone 2-1 up... Why not play Doolan there to start with? He's a centre forward not a midfielder.

Alternatively why not start a midfielder in there? Might have stopped them getting the foothold into the game in first place. We had 3 on the bench in Craigen, Moncur & Bauben.

Truthfully. It looks to me like Doolan scored the equaliser up in Perth the previous weekend so he had to find a place in the team the following week.

Och well, we'll not worry about it.

The BBC's word not mine.

So what is their agenda?

Again for clarity as you seemed to struggle with what i said.

You stated...

You, used the word quoted to suggest that he had no idea what went wrong. i provided direct quotes from our official club website to demonstrate that he is aware of what went wrong. But i notice you completely ignored the rest of my post, so you carry on.

Again for clarity as you seemed to struggle with what i said.

You stated...

You, used the word quoted to suggest that he had no idea what went wrong. i provided direct quotes from our official club website to demonstrate that he is aware of what went wrong. But i notice you completely ignored the rest of my post, so you carry on.

Like you have chosen to ignore certain posts also I may add...

Och well, we'll not worry about it.

Like you have chosen to ignore certain posts also I may add...

Well i think the difference is, my post was filled with factual quotes which debunked your agnda driven nonsense, your post is purely opinion:

Here's me again.

Purely your opinion, you have no way of knowing what he did in the lead up, unless of course you watched him intently from the 20 minute mark where he acknowledges it started to fall apart, to the 44th minute when they scored.

Because 4-2-3-1 is our natural formation that we play. In the Hibs game at home he had a great game there,

Probably becuase Doolan had done well there in the previous game against Hibs, and it gives us the option of going 4-4-2, putting a midfielder in there prevents that.

I don't think he "had to" but it may be the case that he has started someone on form, however, the fact that Elliott did not get any game time would contradict that, as he has been one of our better performers of late. Infact, the way the team were playing in the second half, i'd say it was crying out for Elliott to have been introduced.

Thats purely down to your lack of understanding.

• Like 1

Well i think the difference is, my post was filled with factual quotes which debunked your agnda driven nonsense, your post is purely opinion:

1 point from 12 leading up to the biggest 5 games of the season. 3 clean sheets all season. 2 home wins all seasons.

All facts.

Your 'red' answers are hilarious.

You talk about natural formations but then pick a player in unnatural position.

You say that playing Doolan in there gives us the option of playing 4-4-2. He's had all season to play 4-4-2 but haven't seen it yet to start a game. This despite saying in the ET about 6 weeks ago after the DU home draw that he'll use it when time is right.

So with that in my mind does it not make more sense to start with the MF then if needs be bring on the striker?

Then you have the cheek to say I have a lack of understanding? :D

Anyway, I'll leave you to your party line.

1 point from 12 leading up to the biggest 5 games of the season. 3 clean sheets all season. 2 home wins all seasons.

All facts.

Your 'red' answers are hilarious.

You talk about natural formations but then pick a player in unnatural position.

You say that playing Doolan in there gives us the option of playing 4-4-2. He's had all season to play 4-4-2 but haven't seen it yet to start a game. This despite saying in the ET about 6 weeks ago after the DU home draw that he'll use it when time is right.

So with that in my mind does it not make more sense to start with the MF then if needs be bring on the striker?

Then you have the cheek to say I have a lack of understanding? :D

Anyway, I'll leave you to your party line.

I pick a player? What player did I pick?

It doesn't make more sense to start a midfielder, because that means you need to make a sub to change formation. Starting with Doolan means you don't need to make a sub to change. Doolan has shown he can play in that roll. He carried the defensive midfielders against hibs.

He started with an attack minded line up, and I commend him for that, which should have worked, the first 20 minutes showed it could have worked, the players let him down.

• Like 1

I pick a player? What player did I pick? It doesn't make more sense to start a midfielder, because that means you need to make a sub to change formation. Starting with Doolan means you don't need to make a sub to change. Doolan has shown he can play in that roll. He carried the defensive midfielders against hibs. He started with an attack minded line up, and I commend him for that, which should have worked, the first 20 minutes showed it could have worked, the players let him down.

Should have, could have and would have.

The reality was that it didn't.

Doolan in the hole might work with e.g. Elliott on the right side rather than Erskinho.

What many haven't sussed is that it worked against Hibs because they were rank, and we got away with it because of an outstanding performance on the day by Higgy. We were under pressure in the period when SOD was saved from scoring the og of the season by Paul Gallacher's outstanding reflexes.

And Higgy's confirmation of the points only arrived in extremis.

You must forgive me, Barney, are you now putting down the win against Hibs? It's just I don't recall you posting on any of the Hibs threads at the time, with your doom n gloom review of the game.

What's your point?

I was using doolan against Hibs as an example of it working, it clearly did.

It should have on Saturday, but we sat back and pissed about, instead of killing them off.

Coincidentally, higgy was outstanding against Hibs and dolls in the hole worked, high was fckin dire on Saturday, and it didn't.

You must forgive me, Barney, are you now putting down the win against Hibs? It's just I don't recall you posting on any of the Hibs threads at the time, with your doom n gloom review of the game. What's your point? I was using doolan against Hibs as an example of it working, it clearly did. It should have on Saturday, but we sat back and pissed about, instead of killing them off. Coincidentally, higgy was outstanding against Hibs and dolls in the hole worked, high was fckin dire on Saturday, and it didn't.

Not putting down the win v Hibs, far from it.

Just emphasisng what others have alluded to, that it wasn't quite as emphatic as some have made out.

That said, I will be absolutely delighted to see another three similar wins in the next five games.

• Like 1

Took my 6 year old son to the match, his first at Firhill, was great when Doolan (his favourite) scored, was really impressed myself with the first 20 mins. Wondered, only for a moment, if we were Barca in their away tops! What happened after that was a complete capitulation, standing yards off Hearts and couldn't string two passes together. Just have to hope being a Thistle fan is somehow passed down through the gene pool :mad:

Took my 6 year old son to the match, his first at Firhill, was great when Doolan (his favourite) scored, was really impressed myself with the first 20 mins. Wondered, only for a moment, if we were Barca in their away tops! What happened after that was a complete capitulation, standing yards off Hearts and couldn't string two passes together. Just have to hope being a Thistle fan is somehow passed down through the gene pool :mad:

I posted on the Sandy Brown thread about my first game at Firhill as a 6 year old - I hope your boy finds following the Jags as character-building as I have!

Saturday was one of my worst days watching Thistle. Quite apart from the missed opportunity to get clear of the play-off spot, I have nursed a grudge against the then Hearts Chairman's lead role in gerrymandering the voting to relegate us in 2003 - compare and contrast our fortunes since then with Motherwell who finished bottom the previous season. I was looking forward to the Karma of relegating Hearts but instead their fans left Firhill in triumph.

I had sent a text to a Thistle fan at 3pm on Saturday saying that although I hadn't been impressed by Bauben, I wasn't sure the balance of the side was right. Doolan in midfield hadn't worked that well against Hibs nor when we had about six forwards on latterly against St Johnstone at Firhill.

I didn't think we were playing that well early on against Hearts - they were so poor that they made it easy for us. I thought that if we hit form we would score 5 or 6 against them. What went wrong?

Well, Gallagher punting high balls to Taylor & Higgy up against giant lumps of wood at centre half and right back for Hearts didn't seem a great tactic. I preferred when our players were brave enough to pass the ball at pace out of defence.

It's taken 50 years of watching Thistle to get this grumpy!