Black Socks, White Socks.......

Jaggernaut

It's important, particularly under floodlighting, that socks of each team are highly contrasting. This is to help officials judge, for example, who the ball last touched in line decisions. Looking down at a tangle of legs, sock colour is all you have to go on in many cases.

My suspicion was that it had something to do with floodlit matches, but actually it seems to be about contrast with the opposing team's socks even for afternoon matches. Just looking through the video of the matches this season I noticed that away to Ross County on both occasions we wore all-red socks, and the Saturday 2-0 win at Tynecastle also saw us wearing white socks.

Now less confused. :)

It's important, particularly under floodlighting, that socks of each team are highly contrasting. This is to help officials judge, for example, who the ball last touched in line decisions. Looking down at a tangle of legs, sock colour is all you have to go on in many cases.

That seems to be it. Thanks!

You would think that both sides have been wearing no socks throughout the season considering the dreadful decisions made by officials every week. Hilarious at tynecastle when 'you dont know what your doing' was sung after a free kick was given to thistle which was never a foul in a million Wednesdays.

You would think that both sides have been wearing no socks throughout the season considering the dreadful decisions made by officials every week. Hilarious at tynecastle when 'you dont know what your doing' was sung after a free kick was given to thistle which was never a foul in a million Wednesdays.

I'd forgot about that. Highly amusing.

We wore all red joma socks on our trips to Ross county. The games against hearts were our white away socks.

The guys are right. It's all about a contrast against the opposition. I liked the changes.

But did anyone notice Jordan McMillan wearing the wrong shorts completely when he scored against hearts at home in April?

Is there anything in the rules to inhibit the wearing of different colours of socks such as a white sock on one leg and a red one on the other? And if not would all the red socks have to be on the left leg and the white ones on the right leg or vice versa?

Another sleepless night beckons methinks

If one of our players did that I would hope Archie would show his managerial colours by cutting one of their legs off and attaching it to a player that cared about the red and yellow more than Christie Elliot (because it would clearly be the Jarrow Arrow who would engage in such transgressive behaviours)