Who Should Stay And Who Should Go?

read'n'yell

So it is that time of season again where the debate of who to keep creeps in to all threads. Thought it would be good to have one dedicated to the discussion. I'm going to include our loanees in with our contracted players for purpose of debate.

To me, if someone has played under 10 games then they are surpluss to requirements. Cut that category and replace them with people who can challenge for the first team. Its a simple rule but should be fairly effective in building a stronger squad. So looking just at our first team players I'd say ...

To keep:

Gallacher

Balatoni

Muirhead

Bannigan

Fraser

Craigen

Doolan

Higginbotham

Taylor

Sinclair (in theory)

Moncur

Lawless

All those players have done well and could easily cut it in the top flight. Craigen, Lawless and Moncur (from what I've seen) more as good backup.

To not keep:

Fox

Piccolo

Mair

Elliot

Erskine

Osbourne

Scully

Bauben

One of McMillan or O'Donnell

It may seem harsh on Fox, but I think his inability with cross balls, near post shots and conceding whenever a player runs in diagonally really means he can't be our number 1. Now I think Gallacher is better, so should we be looking for a new number 1 in the summer? I think so. But would be really surprised if Archie did. Gallacher number 1 and Fox back up is fine. Scully probably find his level with Dunfermline, wish him all the best.

Crying out for new centre back hence Mair Piccolo out. Balatoni has been great and Muirhead is young and can play right back/ defensive mid if needed.

Elliot/ Erskine yes for top championship, not good enough if we want to avoid playoffs IMO should be able to get better.

Osbourne MOTM whenever he plays, but somehow think he doesn't work with us. Strange situation but I wouldn't mind to see him go. Injury prone aswell.

Finally, I think we need a new first choice right back. No real complaints over McMillan - he's done well. O'Donnell has great potential also. Hard one, but we can't keep them both and get a new RB.

Thats my opinion, if we want to improve as a team. I know a few posters on here won't be happy and want to see everyone stay by the sounds of it - but that won't see us in the top flight. Tough decisions for Archie, hope he has the bottle.

Edited by read'n'yell
  • Like 1

Craigen is nowhere near good enough for this league, can someone tell me what he actually does apart from lose the ball and get outmuscled? Elliot and Erskine could stay and be at least good backup players as could Lawless, but wouldn't mind Lawless going, he hasn't played much the last few months.

Edited by BearsdenJag

I would say lee Mair has kept us up with his marshalling of the defence and controlling Conrad from his daft mistakes, he would be my player of the season apart fom higgy if not for the fact that we signed him in January!! Also McMillan has been out best defender for at least 4-5 games now, the fact that he drifts into the central defence position constantly is annoying however I think he's been excellent since the split.

Hard to disagree with the rest, frustrating at best.

Edited by kennymac29

So it is that time of season again where the debate of who to keep creeps in to all threads. Thought it would be good to have one dedicated to the discussion. I'm going to include our loanees in with our contracted players for purpose of debate.

To me, if someone has played under 10 games then they are surpluss to requirements. Cut that category and replace them with people who can challenge for the first team. Its a simple rule but should be fairly effective in building a stronger squad. So looking just at our first team players I'd say ...

To keep:

Gallacher

Balatoni

Muirhead

Bannigan

Fraser

Craigen

Doolan

Higginbotham

Taylor

Sinclair (in theory)

Moncur

Lawless

All those players have done well and could easily cut it in the top flight. Craigen, Lawless and Moncur (from what I've seen) more as good backup.

To not keep:

Fox

Piccolo

Mair

Elliot

Erskine

Osbourne

Scully

Bauben

One of McMillan or O'Donnell

It may seem harsh on Fox, but I think his inability with cross balls, near post shots and conceding whenever a player runs in diagonally really means he can't be our number 1. Now I think Gallacher is better, so should we be looking for a new number 1 in the summer? I think so. But would be really surprised if Archie did. Gallacher number 1 and Fox back up is fine. Scully probably find his level with Dunfermline, wish him all the best.

Crying out for new centre back hence Mair Piccolo out. Balatoni has been great and Muirhead is young and can play right back/ defensive mid if needed.

Elliot/ Erskine yes for top championship, not good enough if we want to avoid playoffs IMO should be able to get better.

Osbourne MOTM whenever he plays, but somehow think he doesn't work with us. Strange situation but I wouldn't mind to see him go. Injury prone aswell.

Finally, I think we need a new first choice right back. No real complaints over McMillan - he's done well. O'Donnell has great potential also. Hard one, but we can't keep them both and get a new RB.

Thats my opinion, if we want to improve as a team. I know a few posters on here won't be happy and want to see everyone stay by the sounds of it - but that won't see us in the top flight. Tough decisions for Archie, hope he has the bottle.

No problem with keeping a lot of this years squad since they have helped us stay up. But on this season as a whole I wouldnt have Craigen ahead of McMillan, Erskine, Lawless or Elliot as a must keep. I note your not critical of Lawless but others have and he has done as much as Craigen over the year.

But I like I say they have pretty much all done their bit to keep us up

I don't think there's quite so much work to be done. These lists depend on the quality of player we're likely to be able to bring in, so I've gone for three categories:

Green light = definitely keep

Fox

Gallagher

Balatoni

SoD

McMillan

Bannigan

Fraser

Welsh

Osbourne

Moncur

Higgy

Taylor

Doolan

Amber light = upgrades may be available within our price range:

Mair

Muirhead

Erskine

Craigen

Red light = let go:

Bauben

Piccolo

Elliot

Lawless

Not the least bit keen on these type of threads. Others will think it's just a bit fun. Listing a lot of names to punt when you've no idea who they can be replaced with is just plain daft. I did notice that the OP doesn't rate Fox as a back up keeper and would punt Scully after having a highly rated season at East End Pk. Confusing

Oops, sorry I know it's all about opinions,

I would want to keep the majority of the squad and try to add 4/5 players

Players to leave :

Prince - been pretty ineffective in most games

Erskine - love the guy but hasn't done a thing since his return

Lawless - contributed very little when given the chance but more down to his size.

Players like Gabby and SOD need to improve but still think they having something to offer.

Would love to get taylor again next season.

If we could add 4/5 decent players through the spine of the team and don't think we would have any problem in staying up next season

• Like 1

I would want to keep the majority of the squad and try to add 4/5 players

Players to leave :

Prince - been pretty ineffective in most games

Erskine - love the guy but hasn't done a thing since his return

Lawless - contributed very little when given the chance but more down to his size.

Players like Gabby and SOD need to improve but still think they having something to offer.

Would love to get taylor again next season.

If we could add 4/5 decent players through the spine of the team and don't think we would have any problem in staying up next season

Both Erskine and Lawless have scored vital goals and could be argued have contributed more than Gabby and SOD.

Agree about Taylor

Taking aside the success of avoiding relegation I would rebuild the defence. We cannot cope with set pieces, our full backs cannot defend at all, and with rebuilding the defence if suggest Archie gets a defensive coach, ironic as it may seem. I'd keep Conrad, Gabby and Muirhead on account of age and potential, but let SOD, McMillan and Mair go. I like them all and they do try but Mair has been caught out too many times at crosses for my liking, McMillan and SOD always get sucked into the centre of defence, and failing to hold a lead this season has possibly cost us about £500k.

I know I sound a bit like Buzz Killington, I'm very happy we avoided relegation and over the course we've earned it, but how many goals have we actually conceded that have been due to skill on our opponents end? I'd suggest about 90% of our goals have come from failure to deal with a set piece, and from today's game I'd suggest Archie needs someone to specifically coach the defence.

Taking aside the success of avoiding relegation I would rebuild the defence. We cannot cope with set pieces, our full backs cannot defend at all, and with rebuilding the defence if suggest Archie gets a defensive coach, ironic as it may seem. I'd keep Conrad, Gabby and Muirhead on account of age and potential, but let SOD, McMillan and Mair go. I like them all and they do try but Mair has been caught out too many times at crosses for my liking, McMillan and SOD always get sucked into the centre of defence, and failing to hold a lead this season has possibly cost us about £500k.

I know I sound a bit like Buzz Killington, I'm very happy we avoided relegation and over the course we've earned it, but how many goals have we actually conceded that have been due to skill on our opponents end? I'd suggest about 90% of our goals have come from failure to deal with a set piece, and from today's game I'd suggest Archie needs someone to specifically coach the defence.

I dont think McMillan and SOD have caused us any more goals than Gabby. Dont think there is that much of an age difference either

Perhaps not, but I've not seen much of Gabby. I'm near the corner flag at the city end and there always seems to be loads of space for the opposition left mid. The problem also seems to be similar whether its SOD or McMillan, so I'm not sure if its a coaching issue. McMillan seems to be that wee bit short of pace, usually after going forward, and SOD seems to have lost confidence prior to his injury. I take your point on the age though. Think another coach is desperately needed for the defence though.

• Members

The problem isn't down to the right backs Dizzy, it's because there is very little help from whoever has been playing at right midfield. If we could sort that problem out we'd maybe lose less goals from long punts from the opposition half of the field in that area also.

The problem isn't down to the right backs Dizzy, it's because there is very little help from whoever has been playing at right midfield. If we could sort that problem out we'd maybe lose less goals from long punts from the opposition half of the field in that area also.

Best post for ages.