Golden Anniversary

Wiltshire Jag

Happy anniversary WJ. It's great that you remember your first game - sounds like a cracker.

Summer Cup Group 2 - game 5

Fri-15-May-1964

7.30pm

Firhill

Att: ?

Third Lanark [h] W7-2

Thistle line up: George Niven, George Muir, Hugh Tinney, Harold Davis, John Harvey, Dick Staite, Jim Fleming, Billy Cunningham, Billy Hainey, Neil Duffy, Davie McParland

Scorers: John Harvey, Billy Cunningham (2), Davie McParland, Billy Hainey, Jim Fleming (2)

It might interest you know this was our third Friday night outing at Firhill that season. We were experimenting with rescheduling when it was thought there might be competition on the Saturday - Scottish Cup semis etc. This one was played on the Friday to avoid the Junior Cup final – a 1-1 draw between Cambuslang Rangers and Johnstone Burgh which attracted 50,000 to Hampden Park.

Of course, this wouldn’t be a problem for Junior Jags like yourself – nae school in the morning!

This win put us top of the section on goal difference from Morton - but they still had a game in hand. St Mirren did us a big favour on the Saturday by winning 2-1 at Cappielow, meaning we only needed a draw at Cappielow on the Wednesday to qualify for the semis - which we duly did with a 1-1.

There was complete heartache for the Partick in the semis – we were leading 2-1 on aggregate in the second leg at Pittodrie with time fast running out. We got a penalty and all of a sudden it was on a plate for us to reach another Hampden final – however John Ogston saved John Harvey’s take. Nightmare! A bit of panic set in from thereon and we ended up conceding 2 late goals to go out 3-2 on aggregate.

If anyone has an attendance figure it would be good to know.

Thanks for the history JR. Flemings first goal was a penalty I'm sure - anyway I missed it because some idiot pushed in front of me. Dad told me I said it didn't matter "because we'll score lots more". That confidence took a bit of a beating over the years! Know my Dad went to the Junior final as well, because he missed very few up until the mid-seventies. We used to follow the Peasie until they got knocked out, but usually went to the final no matter who played.

Friday night football! I reckon I must've been at youth club that night. I certainly can mind where i was on a Friday night six months before as there was some stushie going on over in Texas.

Wish I'd managed along to Firhill that night. Funny I can remember Johnstone Burgh playing Cambuslang but can't mind us scoring SEVEN.

Friday night football! I reckon I must've been at youth club that night. I certainly can mind where i was on a Friday night six months before as there was some stushie going on over in Texas.

Wish I'd managed along to Firhill that night. Funny I can remember Johnstone Burgh playing Cambuslang but can't mind us scoring SEVEN.

Congratulations I wish I had been there,funny enough I was at the Junior Cup Final the next day.

Just thought I'd share that 7:20pm (approx) this evening will mark 50 years since I first crossed the Firhill threshold as an 8 year-old.

15th May 1964 - Summer Cup, Partick Thistle 7, Third Lanark 2.

Thanks Dad, for this life-defining moment!

Nice you can remember your first game. I have no idea of mine. My dad thinks it was a midweek game v Hibs maybe around 67, but I've never checked my history book to see if we had a midweek game v Hibs in that era. I sort of remember playing on the terracing and it was light, so maybe early or late season. I would have been aged between 5 & 7 then.

The first regular games I remember going to were in the 69/70 relegation season. I remember a 4-3 win v St Johnstone when we came back from 3-1 down

Just thought I'd share that 7:20pm (approx) this evening will mark 50 years since I first crossed the Firhill threshold as an 8 year-old.

15th May 1964 - Summer Cup, Partick Thistle 7, Third Lanark 2.

Thanks Dad, for this life-defining moment!

Lovely memories. I think - only think mind - that my first game was pre-season 1956 thistle v thistle reserves. My dad is no longer around to confirm but I can distinctly recall the evening citizen carrying a black and white picture of the first xi in their famous hoops and the reserves in their evocative dark blue shirt with giant white thistle

I was about 5 years old when my father took me to my first Thistle match at Firhill, wouldve been in the 1955/56 season, don't remember much about those early days except the very high wall around the Garscube road end and the terracings of course, being lifted over the turnstiles , a hot pie and bovril every game , bigger crowds, and if I'm not mistaken , no segregation !!! Ah those were the days my friends !!!