League Reconstruction

Dug1e

with Hearts, Hibs and The Rangers all in the championship I reckon reconstructiion is imminent.

One up for winning and the play off winner also.

no garauntee that any of those three will be in the mix. Assuming they will be the three strongest teams.

Thing is, one is not coming back next season.

That is why I think the leagues will changed. Any one else?

Jeez, that would be completely shameful - though nothing would surprise me with our big, greedy clubs.

I personally think that our Leagues of ten with play offs are brilliant - nearly every team in Scotland is playing for something nearly all season. Here's a piece I prepared earlier...

The Premiership

Due to the greedy and selfish nature of our Top Clubs, the Top League has been chopped and changed so much in the last quarter century that plans are laid and dumped with very little thought to the consequences. If I’m not mistaken, we now have an imbalanced 42 club SPFL due to the boys at the Top Table and their messing around over the years. Now, virtually every year, we have the ludicrous scenario where some clubs can have 20 home games and some only 18. Whoever thought that was a good idea?

And what about the completely pointless split? If you think 6th place is some sort of amazing goal or achievement then good luck to you but, frankly, you will never catch me going nuts coz the Jags have managed to finish 6th and not 7th in any given year. Is there anything more ridiculous than the sight of grown men losing it over that silly point? Perhaps there is actually – the sight of a team in 7th place with more points than a team above them in 6th place. The lunatics have taken over the asylum with that one.

As for exciting Premiership games at the end of the season at the top and bottom – well we don’t need a split to make that happen do we? The last quarter’s fixtures can easily be drawn in March in accordance with how the table is shaping and we can still achieve the same thrills and spills.

The perfect League set up for me would be 4 exciting Leagues of ten. Sadly, we will need to lose two clubs to make this happen. We shouldn’t have got to 42 anyway. I say, we give two years notice that it’s going to happen and clubs get ready to adjust for the fights for the places.

Then, surely we will have the perfect SPFL set up? Four perfectly balanced Leagues, 36 games for all, 18 homes, 18 aways.

I would further balance things out by having the play offs standardised – the way they are for the Championship and for League One is absolutely spot on – 9th / 2nd,3rd and 4th fight it out over two-legged Semi Finals and a Final. Perfect. Fair. Exciting.

Once again, the self serving, self interest in the Top Flight has manifested in the imbalanced Premiership play offs. I find rather disgusting, if truth be told.

And surely, with the balance of annual payments now spread more evenly throughout the Divisions the prospect of falling from the Premiership to the Championship is nowhere near as devastating as it once was? To boot, with the easier route back I don’t see why any “bigger” clubs would be too worried about losing their status for too long.

SPFL League 2

At the bottom end, I maintain that we should, for the time being at least, re-introduce an election system between the 40th placed club, with an open door policy that any other ambitious clubs, who can meet certain criteria (a reasonable ground and a few hundred hardcore support would be top of my list) are more than welcome to apply. In time, the much desired, yet complex to negotiate, pyramid ideals can be ironed out and delivered in due course with conviction and credibilty.

With those three in that league it's going to be a good pay day for the other clubs.

Which is a good thing is it not? Also it's a good thing that clubs - no matter how big their potential support is - should be demoted if they aren't good enough/are too badly run in one way or another. That way they can sort themselves out - the shock ought to motivate themselves to sort themselves out* - and come back stronger rather than hanging about in a higher league making a mess of things.

* Ought to of course doesn't always mean they do but then it's their own fault if they don't and there shouldn't be reconstruction just for them.

Personally I don't think it's on the cards - partly they will be wary of the fuss that would be kicked up by the fans and partly the SPFL is one body which means all the wee clubs have a vote: I'd imagine apart from 3 clubs all the Championship clubs would vote to keep them in so they can get all that extra money. There'd be no real motive for lower clubs to vote for it and the Premier clubs outside the top 6 would be likely to vote to keep them out for a season to improve their chances of staying up.

The only folk really for it would be certain elements of the SMSM but their influence has been on the wane for a good while now.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I dont think it will happen, TV Comapanies/Sponsor want a period of calm and stability.

If its goign to change lets be radical, go for 2 leagues of 16 teams, 30 games a season split equally home and away. Below that have 3 regional leagues cuts travelling costs more local derbies etc and get every clubs from amatuers to juniors etc into 1 league structure. 2 up 2 down from every league as a minimum . No play off no splits

Revamp the league club into sections, but these sections are based on geographical position, again more derbies less travel costs more interest.from fans/sponsors/tv

Demand that teams are only allowed a certain numbe rof players over 25 in their squad (say 15) encourages youth development and retention.

Put in Place Financial Fair Play laws - so if teams cant get their house in order they are relegated or thrown out altogether - no phoneix sevco-esque rebirth allowed.

I like the sixteen team league idea, so we only have to play each team twice a season, cuts down the over-familiarity. This would be the easiest way of ensuring the three get straight in to the SPL ... assuming NuGers, Hibs and Hearts all finish in the top four next year, of course.

But isn't that the one thing they wouldn't do, as it means only two Old Firm games a season? And that apparently is the one thing Scottish football revolves around - at least to the 'blazers' anyway.

And I'm not old enough to remember, but weren't fans bored of the old league set-up back in the seventies? Too many meaningless games then?

How about having more changes, such as bottom two get relegated, next two go into a play-off with third and fourth in the First? Then up to four teams would change each season in a 16 team league?

I'm surprised the media aren't already talking up reconstruction; I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen at all.

Edited by peagreenboy

With those three in that league it's going to be a good pay day for the other clubs.

Yes but it'll also impact wider. Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton & Alloa, three clubs that appear to be run reasonably well (even if one chairman is particularly odious) will be able to pay back their loyal sponsors. Smaller part time clubs rely heavily on the likes of track side sponsoring. Either thru increased TV exposure or just busier town centres a lot of these businesses will benefit from the three big clubs each visiting twice.

Altho' it would come about for all the wrong reasons I'd still welcome larger leagues. If it's a means to an end so be it. I wanted larger league this time last year but let's say if they didn't come about for a couple more seasons I wouldn't complain. Not that unlikely so perhaps only one of the Big Three make it up and another of the old "established" SPL lot (Killie?) get relegated. That would be fun.

On a very sad note I think we should all take a few moments out to remember some old friends that won't be able to partake in this 2nd tier beanfeast. I'm thinking of Airdrie, Clyde, Dunfermline and saddest of all the lovely Morton FC.

After the most exciting season in years setting up what looks to be another exciting season next year with a barmy Chmpionship and any number of teams capable of dropping out of or qualifying for Europa in the Premiership I;m hoping they'll just leave it as it is for now. Change it when it gets boring, not when it gets good.

• Like 1

Absolutely no doubt about it - the exciting season past proved that we're close to the perfect set up, up and down the 4 Leagues.

Last year's 4 League SPFL construction was clearly a huge leap forward.

However, it had to rushed through - and I don't have a problem with that - it was too much to expect the Top League "imbalance" problem to be solved in one fell swoop. It was an inherited problem as per the greedy lot in the former closed shop.

No League in the world should ever be constructed with an imbalanced fixture schedule. If you step back with neutrality to look at it - it's laughable what was voted for. The SPL was a joke - and good riddance to the ill thought out, anti-football cartel.

We must fix the inherited problem and make the final tweak to the SPFL Top Flight at some stage soon. It's the right thing to do. For the sake of sport.

Absolutely no doubt about it - the exciting season past proved that we're close to the perfect set up, up and down the 4 Leagues.

Last year's 4 League SPFL construction was clearly a huge leap forward.

However, it had to rushed through - and I don't have a problem with that - it was too much to expect the Top League "imbalance" problem to be solved in one fell swoop. It was an inherited problem as per the greedy lot in the former closed shop.

No League in the world should ever be constructed with an imbalanced fixture schedule. If you step back with neutrality to look at it - it's laughable what was voted for. The SPL was a joke - and good riddance to the ill thought out, anti-football cartel.

We must fix the inherited problem and make the final tweak to the SPFL Top Flight at some stage soon. It's the right thing to do. For the sake of sport.

It was the SFL that operated the more blatant closed shop.

I agree that the top league hasn't been bad. But that was our first season back. Different teams to play. Different grounds to visit. By this time next year we'll have played Ross Co possibly eight times. Same with St Mirren, Killie etc. It does get so repetitive. Even the two coming up aren't exactly strangers..

Yep, it comes down to one big question IMO.

Play teams 4 times a season, with a high chance of every game meaning something towards an end consequence.

Or

Play teams twice a season, with a fair chance of many more meaningless games.

Pros and cons are obvious for both. History says that most teams and fans were bored rigid with the big Leagues before 1975. We didn't change it for nothing.

All things considered I'd vote for the tight and exciting Leagues of ten every time...

Yep, it comes down to one big question IMO.

Play teams 4 times a season, with a high chance of every game meaning something towards an end consequence.

Or

Play teams twice a season, with a fair chance of many more meaningless games.

Pros and cons are obvious for both. History says that most teams and fans were bored rigid with the big Leagues before 1975. We didn't change it for nothing.

All things considered I'd vote for the tight and exciting Leagues of ten every time...

The original top league of 10 was brought in to stop the ugly sisters winning everything. It succeeded in so much as Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were later able to challenge and even surpass the OF. One huge difference when that league was launched was that home gates were split. Now that home gates are 100% retained by the home side it's no surprise that the ugly sisters have regained their duopoly.

A top league of 16 and a return to the old League Cup sections to ensure a few extra home games would be preferential. Playing 15 clubs home and away I don't see where the meaningless games kick in especially if it's two up two down or status quo with the play offs.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I can just see a whole host of 7th v 11th, 10th v 8th, 9th v 6th etc etc meaning absolutely hee-haw. There was, just about, no such thing as a mid-table nothing at stake game in the Premiership season just past, which was quite amazing.

I quite like the "head on the chopping block" aspect of the 10 club Leagues. It's what sport's all about.

I actually don't think the League Cup needs much jiggery pokery to make it more attractive. I reckon it's only been devalued due to the "big guns" reshaping the thing so they get a couple of "easy" games and then maybe one tough one before they get to the Final. The constant "talk down" from the media seems to reflect how the "big guns" have similarly talked the tournament down over the years. Their ingrained negativity is infectious and doesn't do much good in persuading fans out for the earlier rounds.

Here's how I'd lay out the League Cup in my proposed 40 club SPFL:

The SPFL Cup

R40 (8 games, 24 byes)

R32

R16

R8

R4

Final

* No automatic byes for any club.

* No seeding.

* Single ties.

* Extra time and penalties if necessary.

Prestige should be enough incentive for the winner. However, I would give a European place IF we can somehow recover our "lost" fifth place.

In other words, I'd place the League Cup 5th in the queue - behind 3rd place but ahead of 4th place in the Premiership.

And incidentally, if the "big guns" don't like it then they can simply withdraw. If push came to shove I think only Rangers or Celtic would ever consider doing such a thing. Better with them - but I reckon we'd still have a cracking tournament without them. Maybe there was a time when the tail used to wag the dog but in the recent decade or two it all completely turned around in the extreme - the dog became a right old ugly domineering beast. There's been some pleasing signs that it's starting to tame - so the time could be right to push for changes and promote a healthier, less selfish set of competitions.

Oh, and while I'm on my soap box - NEUTRAL VENUES FOR ALL SCOTTISH CUP SEMI FINALS AND FINALS. Integrity should not be for sale in Scottish football.

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel

What we have to remember in all this is that The Rangers could once more end up in Administration and start the season at -15 or -25 points, depending on which version of Club/Company floats yer boat.

Therefore, in order to maintain sporting integrity (aye right), the league will be expanded to 16 teams for Season 15/16 meaning that in the coming season (14/15) 5 teams from the Championship will be playing for automatic promotion and the teams finishing in positions 6-8 will enter a play-off with the team finishing 11th in the Premiership.

Surely not even Salary could screw that up? :happy2:

I think that if you support a larger league then this is the season to get behind it, however I think the 12 team set up has been working very well the past few seasons and the playoff has improved it further.

I don't really get the too many meaningless games argument as surely when you have a fairly normal points distribution the number of meaningless games across the top two leagues would be the same even if all 22 clubs were in the same division (putting quality aside for the moment). Also, do meaningless games not also mean stability and allow clubs to plan ahead and develop youth?

I half expected that the team from the East End of Glasgow was about to threaten yet another breakaway!

Yes, I half expected them to say that they were so far ahead of everyone else in the Scottish Premiership that they were considering a breakawy and were heading to. . . . No, not the English Championship but . . . . . the Scottish Championship !!!

ONE TEAM IN GLASGOW!

:fan: :fan: :fan:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Rehashing this old chestnut as I see Doomcaster is proposing a move back to an 18 team top division. It wasn't perfect before but it was way better than what we have now and should give teams the breathing space to bring through youngsters more freely.

The kind of breathing space we had in the last Motherwell game? You really think it would be positive to significantly increase the number of games with nothing to play for? It seems to get a lot of support, but I don't understand it. I can only see crowds dwindling if that came about.