(Not) Opening Day Vs Celtic

peagreenboy

So ... uh ... our first game is vs Ross County at home on the 13th?

Only in Scotland can the opening day game be postponed before the fixtures are even released!

FFS! Bloody joke and crap actual opener.

Midweek evening game with our opposition travelling from the furthest home possible in our league. Great way to start campaign.

Just need to deal with it.

Three big early games with County, Dundee and Hamilton.

Edited by mhs

FFS! Bloody joke and crap actual opener.

I don't understand why they just didn't give Celtic an away fixture as the opening match, so all the teams could play on the first weekend?

Even with their chip-shoulders would Celtic fans really get humpty about it? They get an opening day home game in name only. When is the game re-arranged to?

Couldn't organise a piss-up in a bakery.

They could have given us Hamilton away, get a great crowd for a (somewhat) local game. But no, they get Inverness ... whoo! I can hear the tumbleweed bouncing around New Douglas Park already.

Edited by peagreenboy

I don't understand why they just didn't give Celtic an away fixture as the opening match, so all the teams could play on the first weekend?

Even with their chip-shoulders would Celtic fans really get humpty about it? They get an opening day home game in name only. When is the game re-arranged to?

Couldn't organise a piss-up in a bakery.

They could have given us Hamilton away, get a great crowd for a (somewhat) local game. But no, they get Inverness ... whoo! I can hear the tumbleweed bouncing around New Douglas Park already.

The usual farce that is SPFL/SFA etc. Makes no sense to me either and nobody really benefits from it.

Big early games though so overall will be an interesting start to the season...

August 9th - Celtic - Away - POSTPONED.

August 13th (Wednesday) - Ross County - Home - 19:45.

August 16th - Dundee - Away - 15:00.

August 23rd - Hamilton Academical - Home - 15:00.

Edited by mhs

If Celtic get through to the 3rd Qualifing round of the Champions League they will be playing the Wednesday before the opening Saturday of our season - does postponement suit them?

At least it's not being postponed so that they can play a not-pre-season friendly.

Being kind to Celtic has never exactly been top of my list, however given the truly awful record of Scottish clubs in European competition in recent years apart from the jungle Jims, I for one have no quarrel with the SPFL trying to assist our teams as much as possible, providing of course it does not impact wholly negatively on other teams and that the goodwill applies to all teams in European competitions.

Although not ideal, I don't think Archie will have too many complaints with the start. He would have been hoping for a winnable home game to start which ultimately we have got followed by another two winnable games. Someone was always going to get celtic first up and a possible humping at park head is much better in mid February than on opening day

We've got three good games to open with. Only complaint is we're not involved on the first day - which is entirely the SPFL's fault. They've known for ages that Celtic couldn't play at home for the first two weeks, so why give them a home tie? It beggars belief.

But if we're sitting on 9 points (perfectly doable) with a game in hand on the rest after three matches, you won't hear me complaining! :D

• Like 1

Fairly happy with the opening few fixtures, anyone thinking of booking transport etc for Aberdeen should hold off as it may be the Sunday if they are still in Europe at that point. One strange thing about the fixtures is January, who's bright idea was it to have 7 games in the month where people tend to be skint?

With all the other Scottish teams plus the lower leagues in Engand playing on Saturday 9th August it would be decent if the club could organise a pre-season friendly with an English Premier League club. There's little other option for EPL clubs other than foreign opposition that weekend so it hopefully wouldn't be impossible to get one up to Firhill.

• Like 1

One downside of this season's fixtures is the following teams came to firhill twice pre split last season

Celtic

Aberdeen

Hearts

Dundee United

Killie

Hibs

This season

St Mirren

Motherwell

Hamilton

St Johnstone

ICT

County

Big drop off in away crowds.

One downside of this season's fixtures is the following teams came to firhill twice pre split last season

Celtic

Aberdeen

Hearts

Dundee United

Killie

Hibs

This season

St Mirren

Motherwell

Hamilton

St Johnstone

ICT

County

That's alarming tho' we knew in all likelihood that would be the case.

Re County coming to Firhill, I suppose we're lucky in a way the fixtures hadn't been reversed. That could've been us asked to go up to Dingwall last game of the season for a 12.15 KO then followed by another trip for a Wed night match. As it is we're faced with trips up the A9 in December & January. Never the best of times for Inverness/Dingwall trips.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

So long as it's not the away game against Aberdeen! I want to go up there this season and don't want it shoved around like last time.

Feckin' eedjits.

Aye a Saturday fixture at the end of August in Aberdeen will suit me fine too. We might even get away without wearing scarves and hats.

as others have said, how hard would it have been to have arranged to ensure the eastenders were given an away game on 9th aug? (and blatantly more sensible, than this absurdity we've been landed with)

still, i'm sure cfcplc coffers won't be harmed ..... they'll no doubt arrange a glamour away friendly for that weekend, so they'll be alright jack.

agree with poster who suggested we should get a home friendly lined up ..... otherwise us jags fans are going to be twiddling our thumbs.

shit (non)start to our league season, but its scottish football run by likes of doncaster, regan and ogilvie, so why should we be surprised?

Celtic

Aberdeen

Hearts

Dundee United

Killie

Hibs

This season

St Mirren

Motherwell

Hamilton

St Johnstone

ICT

County

On upside, more winnable home games imo, so potential rise in home crowds to level this out, if team on park does the business.