Greatest Jags Goal Of All Time

The Devil's Point

Higgs strike on Saturday was fabulous, as was his one against Hamilton. Chris Erskine scored some of the best Thistle goals I've seen.

But the greatest one for me, without question, was Scott Patterson's free kick at Inverness in the rain. Four hours up the road, to freeze on the Inverness terraces into extra time. And then he curled it.

Long way back that night. Pints at the Star in Kingussie.

Better than sex.

Gary Fraser v Hearts. Ecstatic does not cover it seeing the ball hit the back of the net!

I was strangely unmoved by that goal.

I was going to get the bus from the Thornwood Bar, but I got up in the morning and kind of went to Partick Station, with my hill boots on. Went to 'The World's End' on the Mile for some reason. Went on past Holyrood and to the summit of Arthur's Seat. On down through the Meadows, Tollcross, Haymarket and the Dalry Road.

For me, the result was never in doubt.

Scott Patterson at Inverness put us into the only semi-final of my lifetime. Perhaps you had to be there!

Dorrans' overhead kick against Peterhead was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

In one of the most horrible games I have ever seen at Firhill.

I was still in the ground to see it too. Shame our "comeback" lasted only a few minutes before Peterhead broke again to score an all-too-easy third...

Shame there is no film of the 1921 goal, which was probably the best one of all.

Mind you the rules were different then, so we probably just bundled the Rangers keeper over the line or something.

One trophy in a lifetime, it shouldn't be too much to ask.

You can see a report here: http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry.com/page/1920-21+Scottish+Cup+Final

• Like 1

...............tho I lurve Gerry's goal at dungdee in the cup, :worship:

for me the second goal - winner - was the most emotional! :fan:

when the wee man scored the whole stand erupted! Mukin Fajik!! :shakeshout:

funny how you canny find a half decent vid of the goal,

I've got it sumwer and just to see the stand with us cebliratin is fantastik! :thumbsup:

Paul Ritchie's against Peterheid?

That one and a previous goal 30 mins earlier.

We'll never know of course but who's to say Gibson's free kick and what happened in the following half hour or so wasn't one of the most meaningful in our Club's history? I'm over-egging it no doubt but I've got a strong feeling we were heading only one way if we hadn't got promoted that season.

Anyway important goals and greatest goals shouldn't really get mixed up. Dorrans "meaningless goal" yon night earlier in the season was indeed a stunner.

We'll never know of course but who's to say Gibson's free kick and what happened in the following half hour or so wasn't one of the most meaningful in our Club's history? I'm over-egging it no doubt but I've got a strong feeling we were heading only one way if we hadn't got promoted that season.

This should be said more often.

But is was a pretty pish goal, and despite the meaning and the symbolism, it wasn't as good as Scott Patterson's free kick at Inverness.

Ah but !

The title of the thread is "greatest goal" nothing about aesthetics. I have to agree with our good Lady and say that the goals from Gibson and Ritchie probably changed the history of our club. Had they not gone in, then I suspect that we would now be a part time club in the 3rd or 4th tier, or out of business by now.

Ray Farningham's right foot volley from the edge of the box against rangers '92/'93.

The first of three, with no reply, which sealed survival in the top flight for the first time in over 10 years (and since i'd been going) with 2 games to go.

An absolute peach of a hit. The ball took one of those perfect parabolic flights, with perfect power, elevation and direction, giving Ally Maxwell no chance as it flew over and past him from one side of the goal to the other and was caught in the side netting.

Just one of those goals that as soon as you saw him squaring up to hit it y'knew.... and couldn't take your eyes away if the playboy calender girls had stripped off next to you. Then.... booof ...... goal!!!!!! YYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:fan:

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz