Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

001_2.jpg

Thistle player is Nobby Clark and I'm sure the Hibs player with the impressive sideburns is the great Joe Baker who returned to Easter Road towards the end of his distinguished career after playing with Torino and Arsenal. The game would be around 1972.

As a remarkable contrast to current International Qualifications, Baker's parents were Scottish and Joe & his brother Gerry grew up in Motherwell. However, their father was in the merchant navy - Gerry was born in New York and Joe in Liverpool - the family moved back to Scotland when he was 6 weeks old. International qualifications were on place of birth and Joe won caps for England and Gerry for the USA.

Joe was capped for England in his first spell with Hibs and shares the distinction with Owen Hargreaves of winning a cap for England without ever having played professional football in England.

Thistle player is Nobby Clark and I'm sure the Hibs player with the impressive sideburns is the great Joe Baker who returned to Easter Road towards the end of his distinguished career after playing with Torino and Arsenal. The game would be around 1972.

As a remarkable contrast to current International Qualifications, Baker's parents were Scottish and Joe & his brother Gerry grew up in Motherwell. However, their father was in the merchant navy - Gerry was born in New York and Joe in Liverpool - the family moved back to Scotland when he was 6 weeks old. International qualifications were on place of birth and Joe won caps for England and Gerry for the USA.

Joe was capped for England in his first spell with Hibs and shares the distinction with Owen Hargreaves of winning a cap for England without ever having played professional football in England.

Let's add a word for Nobby Clark. Over 150 games for Thistle in a 7-year-stay, then onto Queen of the South where he played 340 times and won them promotion as a manager. He's a legend there.

http://www.qosfc.com/legend-1041

Possibly John Mitchell in the background and even less sure about this one but is the other player Declan Roche?

That looks like an early 90s strip with Textyle World as the sponsor. Were they both not late 80s, Col Gee/Watson Towers?

I was going to suggest Kevin Magee in the background and Stephen Docherty in the foreground.

Edited by potty trained

That looks like an early 90s strip with Textyle World as the sponsor. Were they both not late 80s, Col Gee/Watson Towers?

I was going to suggest Kevin Magee in the background and Stephen Docherty in the foreground.

I believe Mitchel lleft in 1990 as part of the Colin McGlashan deal which was the year we took on Textyle World as shirt sponsor so it is certainly border line timescale wise but not impossible. Magee had also crossed my mind but I think he was smaller than the figure at the back.

Hopefully someone will enlighten us !

I believe Mitchel lleft in 1990 as part of the Colin McGlashan deal which was the year we took on Textyle World as shirt sponsor so it is certainly border line timescale wise but not impossible. Magee had also crossed my mind but I think he was smaller than the figure at the back.

Hopefully someone will enlighten us !

It's not Kevin Magee, now that i've seen it on a larger screen.

Pretty certain now that it's Doc.

The boys in the photo are at Central station on their way to Wembley. They played a couple of friendlies in the London area to pay for the trip.

Jimmy Davidson, [in front don't know] Davie Mc Parland, Tommy Legerwood, Andy Kerr, George Smith[in front], Davie Mathers, Joe Hogan,[i front] Johnny McKenzie, Dougie Baird,[in front] Frank Donlevy and Alec Wright

• Like 1