Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

The story at the time was that Pittman received the equivalent of THREE red cards, the exchange being something along the lines of:

Pittman: Ref, you were an f***ing disgrace today.

McGilvary: I am reporting you for foul & abusive language [equivalent of a red card for player not on the pitch].

Pittman: You can't do that you f***ing idiot, I am not even playing.

McGilvary: Yes I can, and I am reporting you a second time

Pittman: You are a f***ing joke [before being dragged away].

I was always led to believe that McGilvary was also the linesman when Paddy Connelly's goal was not given by Les Mottram. While Motram was rightly criticised, I was always surprised how little was said about the linesman in that incident, given that seeing if the ball goes over the line is a key part of their role at corners.

And the level of officialdom has improved little

The story at the time was that Pittman received the equivalent of THREE red cards, the exchange being something along the lines of:

Pittman: Ref, you were an f***ing disgrace today.

McGilvary: I am reporting you for foul & abusive language [equivalent of a red card for player not on the pitch].

Pittman: You can't do that you f***ing idiot, I am not even playing.

McGilvary: Yes I can, and I am reporting you a second time

Pittman: You are a f***ing joke [before being dragged away].

I was always led to believe that McGilvary was also the linesman when Paddy Connelly's goal was not given by Les Mottram. While Motram was rightly criticised, I was always surprised how little was said about the linesman in that incident, given that seeing if the ball goes over the line is a key part of their role at corners.

Yes, the three red cards for Pittman is correct as was the fact that he called Rod McDonald to his room at half time and booked him for crossing himself whilst leaving the pitch and of course later sent him off. He was also the referee that sent off Bobby Barnes in a cup tie up at Dens park and chopped off a perfectly good goal for Thistle with the excuse that a Dundee player had stepped back over the by line thus leaving the pitch which made our goal offside.................... I know there were other incidents with this clown which I can't recall at the moment but if any official ever had it in for us it was Jim McGilvary

• Like 1

The linesman that chopped of Smith's first goal was Jim McGilvary. This guy had quite a history of sticking the boot into Thistle. It all back fired on him big time as referee in a game against rangers at Firhill when he sent off two Thistle players, Billy McDonald and Rod McDonald, three if you include Steve Pittman who wasn't even in the squad (I believe he offered his opinion to McGilvary on the quality of his performance). His enthusiasm with the red card however did not extend to the h*ns as Paul Gascoigne was allowed to run about like a headless chicken kicking anything that moved. Gascoigne and Billy McDonald even had a set too with hands raised but as Gascoigne was already on a yellow for over celebrating a goal absolutely no action was taken.

The final nail in Mr McGilvary's coffin was when he spoke to the press to say that he felt he couldn't send Gascoigne off as it might have caused a riot. It was then pointed out to the buffoon that he had just admitted that he used one set of rules for Partick Thistle and a quite different set of rules for rangers. And that was the end of Jim McGilvary :clapping:

And only in Scotland would such a comment have generated so little controversy!!!