Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

Hogan, Gray, Harvey and Willie Twigg Cunningham? Big Yogi for Sellik.

If we're agreed that the goalie is Gray (looks a bit like Jim Leighton!), then I think the number 2 might be a young Jackie Campbell. If that's Tommy Gibb in the distance on the left, then it's 2-1 to the Jags on Aril 17th 1965, or 1-1 on Nov 6th 1965.

The four players you mention did play in a painful 5-1 defeat on Dec 2nd 1961, with Hogan at no. 2. But the strip we're wearing in the picture seems to be from later, season 64-65. A positive ID for the Celtic no. 9 would probably settle it.

Edited by Jaggernaut

If we're agreed that the goalie is Gray (looks a bit like Jim Leighton!), then I think the number 2 might be a young Jackie Campbell. If that's Tommy Gibb in the distance on the left, then it's 2-1 to the Jags on Aril 17th 1965, or 1-1 on Nov 6th 1965.

The four players you mention did play in a painful 5-1 defeat on Dec 2nd 1961, with Hogan at no. 2. But the strip we're wearing in the picture seems to be from later, season 64-65. A positive ID for the Celtic no. 9 would probably settle it.

My initial thought that the far away player was Tommy Gibb, but I wasn't sure!

Since the player above isn't attracting too many bites, it's John McGourty, an inside forward who played 35 games in season 1931-1932, scoring 7 goals. Nothing about him in the official history, but he then went to Everton (free or sold?), where he only played 16 games in 2 years, scoring twice. Back to Scotland to Hamilton Accies in 1934, but put up for transfer after after only a few games. Scored 17 goals for Waterford in 1936-1937, then ended up at Ipswich Town in 1938, after which the trail goes cold.

• Like 1

Since the player above isn't attracting too many bites, it's John McGourty, an inside forward who played 35 games in season 1931-1932, scoring 7 goals. Nothing about him in the official history, but he then went to Everton (free or sold?), where he only played 16 games in 2 years, scoring twice. Back to Scotland to Hamilton Accies in 1934, but put up for transfer after after only a few games. Scored 17 goals for Waterford in 1936-1937, then ended up at Ipswich Town in 1938, after which the trail goes cold.

Lived to a fair age and died in 1999.

Am I right in thinking that although we mostly wore the yellow top with red shorts during the 1970-1971 2nd division campaign, we occasionally wore the hooped jersey, as in that picture at Bayview?

If that's the case, then the pic must be the 1-1 draw in the League Cup on 15th August, 1970 (Alex Rae scoring). Both players also played in matches at Bayview in the following 2 seasons, but I'm certain that by then we never wore hoops.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Am I right in thinking that although we mostly wore the yellow top with red shorts during the 1970-1971 2nd division campaign, we occasionally wore the hooped jersey, as in that picture at Bayview?

If that's the case, then the pic must be the 1-1 draw in the League Cup on 15th August, 1970 (Alex Rae scoring). Both players also played in matches at Bayview in the following 2 seasons, but I'm certain that by then we never wore hoops.

As I recall the match in August 1970 - (1-1 Alex Rae equaliser with a header from a corner late on) was played in rather glorious summer sunshine which wouldn't concur with this photo - having said that perhaps old age and the fading memory of a then 10 year old that all summers were gloriously sunny back-in-the-day might be colouring my judgement.

Although I do seem to remember that we did wear hoops that day (the yellow jerseys and red shorts making their first appearance at the 4-0 home win against Stenhousemuir in the first League game a few weeks later).