Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

Are you sure about that? Very interesting snippet if accurate.

From my memory that Stenhousemuir game was the first appearance of yellow jerseys and red shorts - but, as I say, I was only 10 so perhaps not entirely accurate - I imagine more reliable club historians will be able to give a definitive response.

Brilliant photo. Donnie McKinnon and George Niven? The Hibee looks familiar, but I can't put a name to the face.

ETA: Charlie Smith in the background. There was a rumour that he had passed away. Can anybody confirm?

Yep it's Niven, McKinnon and our ex striker Joe McBride. Pretty sure Charlie Smith died a good few years ago

Yep it's Niven, McKinnon and our ex striker Joe McBride. Pretty sure Charlie Smith died a good few years ago

According to the caption It's not Niven but Ian Dick in goals.

I have a note of Charlie Smith having died in Australia, but no exact date. He played in the Victorian Soccer League until the late 1970's.

According to the caption It's not Niven but Ian Dick in goals. I have a note of Charlie Smith having died in Australia, but no exact date. He played in the Victorian Soccer League until the late 1970's.

If it's Dick then he only played once v Hibs - a 5-1 defeat on 6 Sep 1969 at Easter Road.

McBride scored 3, Cormack 2 (1 pen). Duncan scored for Thistle.

Dick, Reid, Gray, Smith, McKinnon, Hansen (J), McLindon, Flanagan, Glavin, O'Neill, Duncan. (Bone.)

• Like 1

If it's Dick then he only played once v Hibs - a 5-1 defeat on 6 Sep 1969 at Easter Road.

McBride scored 3, Cormack 2 (1 pen). Duncan scored for Thistle.

Dick, Reid, Gray, Smith, McKinnon, Hansen (J), McLindon, Flanagan, Glavin, O'Neill, Duncan. (Bone.)

Just had a quick trawl to see if there was any info about Charlie Smith. I couldn't find anything about his post-Jags career, but one of the links was to this great match:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=19710906&id=i-Y9AAAAIBAJ&sjid=iEgMAAAAIBAJ&pg=1704,839827&hl=en

John Gibson absolutely tore the h u n s apart in the first 45 minutes. Here's a picture of him skinning a t i m in the LCF.

John_Gibson.jpg

I'm guessing Xmas 1979. We had just beaten Aberdeen 1-0, Somner header in opening 10 mins (blessed be His name) in front of a 10,000+ crowd to go top of the league. Houston skins the left back, crosses for Somner to bullet a header past a stationary keeper. So familiar.

Bertie had been in the papers in the lead up to the game suggesting that if 10,000 Jags couldn't turn up for a top of the table clash which could possibly put us top, then we didn't deserve the team that we had. He was right. And it was 10,000 Jags fans, very few sheep.

A different era indeed :-(

Edited by The Sons of Somner
  • Like 1