A Highly Original Free Kick

Jaggernaut

Hate to be a killjoy, but the ball didn't move a full circumference so the goal should have been chalked off.

I initially thought that, but apparently the rules changed recently. I remember hearing it at the time of the 'goal' disallowed at ICT last season the ball only needs to be touched now

This section of the law was changed years ago (about 1997/8). The ball only needs to be kicked and move (no minimum distance) for it to be in play, subject to the provisions of the defence taking any dead ball kick in their own penalty area where the ball must clear the area as well as moving before it's in play.

Edited by Exiled AusJag

The Covetry one was deemed illegal as I recall as it has to be a clean strike with one foot. You also can't scoop it up.

Back to the Kyoto Sanga goal, was it that great ? You knew exactly what was going to happen and the run up told you who was going to strike it. He took it well to be fair, but did all of these step overs add anything to it ?

it was some goal, but I don't think it should have been allowed to stand

Back then the ball had to actually be kicked, but as this had never been done before it created a lot of confusion. Now there are clear guidelines, and this is legal nowadays. In the interpreation of the laws and guidlines for referees (which is a lot longer than the actual laws) it states "A free kick can be taken by lifting the ball with a foot or both feet simultaneously"

Altho' this funny free kick despite all the dummy runs was taken quite quickly is there not an element of time wasting involved?

Not really. As you said it was taken quite quickly and the ball was kicked only 4 seconds after the whistle was blown. If players were booked that quickly for time wasting then the number of yellow cards shown would escalate dramatically.

Edited by Exiled AusJag

The Covetry one was deemed illegal as I recall as it has to be a clean strike with one foot. You also can't scoop it up.

Back to the Kyoto Sanga goal, was it that great ? You knew exactly what was going to happen and the run up told you who was going to strike it. He took it well to be fair, but did all of these step overs add anything to it ?

One thing that surprises me is that the players who all ran in to step over the ball then basically just stood around. I think if they had continued their run to either side of the wall they might have dragged defenders with them, opening up more space.

I disagree that you could tell exactly who would take the kick. Having 5 players lined up doesn't mean it has to be the 5th player that shoots.