Can I Be The First To Say.....

La Scimmia Rossa

From what I can gather we have at least 7 players with first team experience signed up on contracts extending to the end of next season.

Ross County 1, St.Mirren 5, Motherwell 8, Hamilton 10, St. Johnstone 11, Dundee 11, Killie 12, (signed up not sure of experience)

If we stay up we're not overly short of a core squad on which to build in comparison to others. Bearing in mind, football is our business, and therfore relegation is rarely something any club can rule out, I reckon we've played it just about right.

eta

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

So.I think we have conclusively proved that some Thistle fans are idiotic clowns. The question remains over what sort of percentage fall into that category. Like Lindau i'll be keeping away from here for a bit.it's bad for your mental health.

Hoping Archie can turn it around. Good luck to those going to Tannadice. Family committments mean i can't go. Having said that, i haven't been there since THAT night in 96. Maybe we could compare Murdo and Archie's record.....

I don't think anyone said, "we'll be in the top six" this season. Perhaps someone can prove me wrong. I think the case was put that we have a squad capable of achieving that.

If some are saying "it's all Archie's" fault with his lack of tactical expertise and team selection, that we have not achieved it, then they are conceeding that my interpretation of top-six-gate is to some extent true. However, do they then accept that Archie has made some good signings, and has been let down with form, discipline and unfortunate with injuries?

Personally, I think our squad is still just a baw hair away from achieving top six and more should we survive. If we can keep the core of this team together, with a decent pre-season, more regular availability of key squad members and 3/4 bespoke signings i think we will be far more competitive next year and top six will again be achieveable, with a prevailing wind...

Relegation, is going to be a danger in this league for just about 11 teams out of the 12 for some time yet. Sure Aberdeen are doing well under McInnes, D.U. look quite safe under c*nto, and Hibs hearts and sevco will come up with clout, but all have suffered with relegation form and business buffoonery over the past decade. Listening to the radio at the week-end it was asserted that both Motherwell and St. Johnstone would be seriously considering part time football should they ever go down. I would not be surprised if Hamilton, County, Dundee and Caley admitted such aswell.

It is not selling ourselves short to think we should be an exeption to this. Our club is not huge, does not have massive support to fund all that is required for a stable football business and is struggling like the rest with the delusional mis-managed shambles that is "scottish football".

Archie's done a good job. He's struggling right now.... Support him.

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 1

Is that The Monkey Red boycotting like he did under the Campbell era to come out when/if we stay up to tell us 'get it up ye'?

Still waiting for his answer to how the 2 up front demonstrates how the manager right not to play it but guess because it doesn't suit his agenda I'll not hear anything.

I wouldn't compare DC to AA in anyway. I'm merely saying that no matter how bad things were during his reign we never had players chuck it on the park.

They weren't the best, & took a few almost deserved hammerings, I agree 100%, but don't recall any games we chucked it.

Unlike this squad with their top 6 potential & by all accounts we're all in agreement that they're the best squad assembled at Firhill in the last 30 years?

The same way as Dickie boy hopeless, Collins hopeless, Whyte/Britton hopeless but the BoD left it too late to get rid, I hope the decision to keep AA doesn't backfire on us.

If we go down, I can see a lost generation of fans. Gates down as it is for a variety of reasons but when the product as poor as it's been over past few months, it's hard to entice folk to pay £20+ of their hard earned cash to watch an SPL game.

What makes folk think they'll pay £15+ to watch a first division game? Product will be even worse.

I realise changing manager doesn't always mean a turn around in fortunes but, as hypothetical as this us at the moment, a defeat in each of the next 2 games leaves us where...?

There were some folk on here Sat night saying they can no longer defend the indefensible that are now, rightly or wrongly as their opinion, defending the manager.

Serious question. Hypothetical I know.

We lose our next 2 games... What then?

a- Go with the flow & accept what may well be inevitable consequences as in play off/relegation?

b- Or look at replacing the manager?

The last 5 games haven't been great but on the face of it, things haven't got any better since we went a good few games in Nov/Dec without even a shot on target.

Those who think that AA is the man to lead us to greater things have more confidence in him than me & by the looks of Saturday, more confidence than his players have in him.

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy

"So the majority of Jags fans are pissed up and have no clue about football??

Saturday was a disgrace and in 33 years of following Thistle was one of the most inept, gutless performances I have seen from any of those teams. I've seen crap teams under Rooney offer more dig, poor teams under Lamont's team have more fight. "

These two sentences . Prove the point perfectly. Don't you think? Worse performance in 33 years? Over-exaggerated nonsense.

To even equate Saturday's performance with the worst of the Johnstone era for example, is ridiculous. You think Saturday was worse than being pumped by Gretna? Really?

Read the post again, that team on Saturday was set out right, has skill in buckets yet decided not to play, not to care, not to play for the manager or the fans.

In all those years I don't recall us just giving up so easy, laughing and joking when we lost a penalty and generally not giving a toss.

The fans, the club and the manager were shortchanged by a majority of our players on Saturday.

The players fault, not the managers, not the boards and not the "drunken clueless" fans fault. When they stepped over the line at 3pm they were not interested

I said I couldn't defend it anymore immediately after Saturday's match. Then I calmed down. I'm still concerned, but I'm not prepared to see Archie's tenure (and his good name by extension) smeared by suggesting it's as bad or worse as Dick Campbell's.

Listen DP, I said Saturday was unacceptable and it was and if anyone came on here and said otherwise they, quite rightly, would have been laughed out of town, however on just about every post I have stated my feeling that the manager should be judged at the end of the season and not now. We now have proof that we have more points on the board and are higher in the league than after 26 games last season and we are one of only two clubs that can boast that. There are 3/4 posters on here that will tell you after every single defeat, that the club is going backwards under the manager, stats say otherwise. Not for one second do I think we are anywhere near safe and the likelyhood is we will be in a relegation dogfight and as I have said countless times before the managers job should be in jeopardy if we do eventually go down.

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

I said I couldn't defend it anymore immediately after Saturday's match. Then I calmed down. I'm still concerned, but I'm not prepared to see Archie's tenure (and his good name by extension) smeared by suggesting it's as bad or worse as Dick Campbell's.

One individual.

Now, 'The Cup' has came up with some valid points in his answers but even I think it's taking it a little too far.

However by the end you could see he'd lost the fans & the dressing room. We were awful, on a downward spiral to relegation once again.

That's what I see happening at the moment.

A good number of fans turned on him Saturday, & I'm not just talking about 40 folk that use this forum regularly.

More tellingly, & you wouldn't find many disagreeing with this over the weekend, it looked as though many of his players had turned on him.

Evident from players chucking it to Lawless' tweet.

This isn't a new thing as I said. We've been stuttering to an extent all season- unable to get 2 wins back to back though granted until recently that was true of losses. However as I said, think back late Oct through Nov into Dec. There were games that we didn't even have a shot on target.

Now we've gone from stuttering to road block.

Unlike some, I don't want us to end up in Div 1 next year. If we went down with a poor squad because money tight/financial situation etc then there is almost an acceptance if what happened.

But I go back to point about almost all in agreement that it's best squad in 30 years & I'm willing to wager, the highest paid squad in history of the club.

So, why is it not happening?

Why are we going 2/3 games out of 4 getting no shots on target?

Why are we such a shambles defensively at corners?

Why do we conceded more goals in 85+ mins than any other club in the league?

Why are we unable to play 2 men up front/ be more flexible with our tactics?

Not all on the players. The manager/coaches that implement strategies & tactics as well as signing the majority of Sat team.

One individual. Now, 'The Cup' has came up with some valid points in his answers but even I think it's taking it a little too far. However by the end you could see he'd lost the fans & the dressing room. We were awful, on a downward spiral to relegation once again. That's what I see happening at the moment. A good number of fans turned on him Saturday, & I'm not just talking about 40 folk that use this forum regularly. More tellingly, & you wouldn't find many disagreeing with this over the weekend, it looked as though many of his players had turned on him. Evident from players chucking it to Lawless' tweet. This isn't a new thing as I said. We've been stuttering to an extent all season- unable to get 2 wins back to back though granted until recently that was true of losses. However as I said, think back late Oct through Nov into Dec. There were games that we didn't even have a shot on target. Now we've gone from stuttering to road block. Unlike some, I don't want us to end up in Div 1 next year. If we went down with a poor squad because money tight/financial situation etc then there is almost an acceptance if what happened. But I go back to point about almost all in agreement that it's best squad in 30 years & I'm willing to wager, the highest paid squad in history of the club. So, why is it not happening? Why are we going 2/3 games out of 4 getting no shots on target? Why are we such a shambles defensively at corners? Why do we conceded more goals in 85+ mins than any other club in the league? Why are we unable to play 2 men up front/ be more flexible with our tactics? Not all on the players. The manager/coaches that implement strategies & tactics as well as signing the majority of Sat team.

It's that type of crap that really annoys me.

Where can we can find these Thistle fans that would be happy to see Thistle in Div 1 (sic) next season?

Sitting at the end of a rainbow chatting to a pheonix about their forthcoming holiday in narnia?

Edited by Tom Hosie

We went on a five-game losing streak last season, too. It's unfortunate that it's happening at the 'wrong' time this season. Granted, I don't recall a game where some players looked to have chucked it, but I do remember us shipping 11 goals over three of those five games. The management and players turned it around them, I'm sufficiently calmer today to have belief in them doing it again.

Saturday was pretty simple.

The ridiculous first goal took the momentum away from us and we ended up chasing things. The fans got on the players backs. No-one wanted the ball and the cycle continued. Heads went down. Some players had howlers. The third goal was a shambles. Collectively, they were rotten. No conspiracy theories. No amateur dramatics. No nonsense revisionism. They were rotten. They need to improve.

Fans have a tendency to see things from only one persepective. As bad as we were, Ross County executed perfectly. Got the early goal. Sucked the life out of the game. Broke it up. Scored on the break.

I suppose Hamilton could accuse their players of the same things against us a few weeks back? Not trying?

You really don't recall times when we have given up so easy? Really? Under Sandy Clark? Under Derek Johnstone? Sorry but that's just plain daft.

In short you are accusing the players of cheating. I just don't buy that sorry. Neither should any other reasonable Thistle fan. Certainly not one who witnessed Lambie's Thistle go from November through January without winning and being turfed out the cup by bottom of the League below, Cowdenbeath.

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa

One individual.

Now, 'The Cup' has came up with some valid points in his answers but even I think it's taking it a little too far.

However by the end you could see he'd lost the fans & the dressing room. We were awful, on a downward spiral to relegation once again.

That's what I see happening at the moment.

A good number of fans turned on him Saturday, & I'm not just talking about 40 folk that use this forum regularly.

More tellingly, & you wouldn't find many disagreeing with this over the weekend, it looked as though many of his players had turned on him.

Evident from players chucking it to Lawless' tweet.

This isn't a new thing as I said. We've been stuttering to an extent all season- unable to get 2 wins back to back though granted until recently that was true of losses. However as I said, think back late Oct through Nov into Dec. There were games that we didn't even have a shot on target.

Now we've gone from stuttering to road block.

Unlike some, I don't want us to end up in Div 1 next year. If we went down with a poor squad because money tight/financial situation etc then there is almost an acceptance if what happened.b

But I go back to point about almost all in agreement that it's best squad in 30 years & I'm willing to wager, the highest paid squad in history of the club.

So, why is it not happening?

Why are we going 2/3 games out of 4 getting no shots on target?

Why are we such a shambles defensively at corners?

Why do we conceded more goals in 85+ mins than any other club in the league?

Why are we unable to play 2 men up front/ be more flexible with our tactics?

Not all on the players. The manager/coaches that implement strategies & tactics as well as signing the majority of Sat team.

Stopped reading just after the beginning of the second line!

Edited by Lindau

Best squad in 30 years?... debatable ... I reckon lambie's charges would give this lot a game.

Best paid? I dunno, but when was the last time we paid a transfer fee? The rules, game and circumstance have changed, but the fact remains our competitor's can afford to steal our best. Aberdeen, D.U. and smeltic all improved their squads in january with cash.

Fans have a tendency to see things from only one persepective. As bad as we were, Ross County executed perfectly. Got the early goal. Sucked the life out of the game. Broke it up. Scored on the break.

Ross County were so open at times even after they scored their first two goals, it was our ball movement being so pedestrian & poor second half in general that sucked the life out the game & made it almost easy for Ross County,.

If Ross Co sucked the life out the game after first goal then I'd be interested to know how you describe St Mirren tactics.

It's that type of crap that really annoys me.

Where can we can find these Thistle fans that would be happy to see Thistle in Div 1 (sic) next season?

Sitting at the end of a rainbow chatting to a pheonix about their forthcoming holiday in narnia?

I'm sure someone who can be @rsed will find the quotes from other threads.

Best squad in 30 years?... debatable ... I reckon lambie's charges would give this lot a game.

Best paid? I dunno, but when was the last time we paid a transfer fee? The rules, game and circumstance have changed, but the fact remains our competitor's can afford to steal our best. Aberdeen, D.U. and smeltic all improved their squads in january with cash.

First point actually on current form I can't disagree I guess but that's on current form not on paper.

Second point, I get what you're saying but surely our competitors,as such, are not DU, Aberdeen or Celtic but Killie, Dundee, Hamilton, St Mirren, Ross Co & Motherwell. Maybe even ICT.

I seem to remember reading that one poster thought that they were certainties to go down under John Hughes. (No names but they've posted on this thread recently).

Saturday was pretty simple.

The ridiculous first goal took the momentum away from us and we ended up chasing things. The fans got on the players backs. No-one wanted the ball and the cycle continued. Heads went down. Some players had howlers. The third goal was a shambles. Collectively, they were rotten. No conspiracy theories. No amateur dramatics. No nonsense revisionism. They were rotten. They need to improve.

I suppose Hamilton could accuse their players of the same things against us a few weeks back? Not trying?

You really don't recall times when we have given up so easy? Really? Under Sandy Clark? Under Derek Johnstone? Sorry but that's just plain daft.

In short you are accusing the players of cheating. I just don't buy that sorry. Neither should any other reasonable Thistle fan. Certainly not one who witnessed Lambie's Thistle go from November through January without winning and being turfed out the cup by bottom of the League below, Cowdenbeath.

1st goal goes in no one is shouting at each other, geeing each other up, it didn't seem to matter to some on the park

Penalty, players laughing and smiling, wee cuddles with the Ross C players, not what I'd expect at the prospect of going further behind, I have never seen that in a competitive game.

As for county sucking the life out the game, lucky for us cause they should have had 5 (Penalty & other good save from Gall) i dread to think what may have happened if they tried to play a bit.

I witnessed the run under Lambie and the humiliation to the blue Brazil and the players seemed to hurt a lot more than several of our team on Saturday.

Archie is still the man for the job and I still believe the future of this club, if some players don't like that or don't want that, we have U20 fixtures they can play in till the window opens. Plenty of guys in the wings or U20's that would love a shot at the 1st team, and give their all.

This team has bags of talent, has the opertunity to be in the shop window, yet some could not be bothered it appeared.