Can I Be The First To Say.....

La Scimmia Rossa

I can assure you that many, many people who are a lot more intelligent than you would strongly disagree.

As we are all Thistle fans here I'll give you one chance to say your piece about why AA is better than DC.

You better make it good.

I don't need to prove that Alan Archibald is better than Dick Campbell, it's not even a close comparison.

Lets look at the Bunnet:

Dick Campbell got us relegated to the Second Division.

25/10/2005 Partick Thistle 1 Peterhead 3

He signed Sean Kilgannon.

26/12/2005 Partick Thistle 0 Stirling Albion 3

We finished fourth in the Second division. Credit where credit is due, he managed to get us up through the play offs after overcoming the might of Stranraer and Peterhead.

He played Sean Kilgannon.

He had no youth system whatsoever, instead signing older journeymen who were used to playing at lower levels. Signing Graham Gibson who had previously retired from the game was a personal favourite.

21/1/2006 Gretna 6 Partick Thistle 1

He signed Dmitryo Provynevych.

3/3/2007 Partick Thistle 0 Clyde 4

He signed Darren Brady.

He played Darren Brady.

Dick Campbell's record at Thistle.

Games: 103

Won: 40 (38.83%)

Drew: 26 (25.24%)

Lost: 37 (35.92%)

Goals scored: 151

Goals lost: 160

If you would prefer Dick Campbell over Alan Archibald then I seriously worry for you mate.

It's simpler than that, AlwayOutnumbered.

Both managers took the reigns when we were in the First Division. One led us to promotion, the other relegation. In their second seasons, one led us to a 10th place finish in Scotland's top league, the other oversaw a 4th place finish in the Second Division. We finished behind Peterhead.

• Like 2

I dont get to Firhill as much as I'd like these days but as a less frequent attendee its perhaps easier to see the drastic deterioration in our play over the past year. 2 months ago I'd have said thats OK because we were still getting some results. Now its not even that, We used to be a pleasure to watch.

There is something seriously wrong. When we got LT back in I thought it'd give us a boost. Unfathomably that boost was killed before his first outing.

The last 5 mins of games are an absolute nightmare and given the ongoing recurrence of basic failures its difficult to see how it can be turned around without drastic measures.

As we are all Thistle fans here I'll give you one chance to say your piece about why AA is better than DC.

You better make it good.

After giving you a bit of praise over the weekend you are really surpassing yourself today. Has the medication ran out? First you have a dig at the happy clappers (supporters) going to Tannadice to support the team (is that not what football supporters are meant to do??) now this. Again I will ask the question.....supporter or troll?

I don't need to prove that Alan Archibald is better than Dick Campbell, it's not even a close comparison.

Lets look at the Bunnet:

Dick Campbell got us relegated to the Second Division.

Campbell inherited Britton and Whyte's mess and couldn't keep us up. Big difference.

25/10/2005 Partick Thistle 1 Peterhead 3

Partick Thistle 1 Ross County 3

He signed Sean Kilgannon.

Hendoc Mukendi

26/12/2005 Partick Thistle 0 Stirling Albion 3

Partick Thistle 0 St Mirren 3

We finished fourth in the Second division. Credit where credit is due, he managed to get us up through the play offs after overcoming the might of Stranraer and Peterhead

So he achieved his target.

He played Sean Kilgannon.

Hendoc Mukendi

He had no youth system whatsoever, instead signing older journeymen who were used to playing at lower levels. Signing Graham Gibson who had previously retired from the game was a personal favourite.

A poor youth setup was not Campbell's fault. There was no investment from the club.

21/1/2006 Gretna 6 Partick Thistle 1

Celtic 6 Partick Thistle 0

He signed Dmitryo Provynevych.

John Baird

3/3/2007 Partick Thistle 0 Clyde 4

Partick Thistle 2 Hearts 4

He signed Darren Brady.

Mark Kerr

He played Darren Brady.

Mark Kerr

Dick Campbell's record at Thistle.

Games: 103

Won: 40 (38.83%)

Drew: 26 (25.24%)

Lost: 37 (35.92%)

Goals scored: 151

Goals lost: 160

If you would prefer Dick Campbell over Alan Archibald then I seriously worry for you mate.

I see you've conveniently missed off AA's record.

AA's win percentage - 32.9

DC's win percentage - 38.83

Game. Set. Match.

You lose. Who's next?

Try my post.

Bear in mind Archie's team have played at a higher level than Dick's with a budget smaller than the majority of the teams around them. Unlike Dick's.

And remember...we finished behind Peterhead.

He is trolling DP. Anyone with a modicum of sense would never post such a ridiculous post!

I see you've conveniently missed off AA's record.

AA's win percentage - 32.9

DC's win percentage - 38.83

Game. Set. Match.

You lose. Who's next?

Well that's me convinced.

Alternatively we should maybe compare Alan Archibald's record with the only other Thistle managers to have led us to promotion to the top flight since the inception of the Premier League in 1975 and kept us there.

That would be John Lambie and Bertie Auld. Two managers in 39 years.

If Alan Archibald can continue to match the record of those two while helping create an infrascture that will help the club continue to develop, something Lambie completely failed to do or even remotely address, then I will be well chuffed.

Meantime I'm going to take my happy clappy self up to Tannadice on Saturday hoping for a huge improvement on Saturday's display.

You can use that time to prove that Tommy Bryce is a better manager than Alan Archibald. You've clearly won the Campbell v Archibald debate hands down. Or perhaps not.

• Like 3

I can assure you that many, many people who are a lot more intelligent than you would strongly disagree.

You better make it good.

im having criticisms of Archie which I want him to rectify not be sacked. However he is a million miles better manager than dc for this club.

Campbell brought his own players in.

Campbell was playing mostly against part time clubs whose budget we dwarfed

Archibald has us against full time established spl clubs whose budget dwarfs us

Archibald had a limited budget dc was given and wasted a huge budget

One of the reasons we nearly went bust in 2010 was because of the pay offs to dc and co and money he wasted.

Archie has got the club promoted and making some money

Yes there is a lot wrong with Archie's coaching at present and also a lot wrong with many of the players but I'd take him as manager any day over the the days if Campbell which very nearly left this club destroyed again and which McCall, McNamara and Archibald have to rebuild

La Scimmia Rossa may not be everyone's cup of tea, I can't help but agree with most of his points.

To in anyway compare Alan Archibald's team with the previous woeful sides from previous years such as Dick Campbell, Derek Whyte & Gerry Britton, Gerry Collins or even further back to Sandy Clark, Derek Johnstone, Benny Rooney... need I go on.

Thistle are on a terrible run, there is no doubt at all about that.

However, under Alan Archibald (and MacNamara before him) we as Thistle fans have been fortunate enough to watch possibly the best Thistle team in our recent history.

Archie has his faults, some decisions seem baffling but he has done an absolutely incredible job at Firhill, a job that will serve us for years to come. When was the last time we actually had some sort of proper youth system?

In my opinion, we have on paper the best squad of players in my memory. Ok, were going through a terrible patch but some people actually seem to prefer this, they are in their element. Changing the manager at this point of the season would be ludicrous, everything wouldn't be sorted if we changed boss - didn't exactly work out for Motherwell did it? St Mirren?

One thing is for sure though: Thistle will stay up. You can quote me on that.

i think it was actually La Scimmia Rossa that brought up the whole comparison to DC etc after he misquoted Norgethistle.

I agree though that he does have some valid points. I'd also agree that he is not everyone's cup of tea. Although he has never directed anything at me (that I know of), I find the way he talks about fellow Jags supporters quite offensive and, as I said at the time, this thread was completely unnecessary in the first place.

Regarding the debate/argument that has followed I would have to say it is all relative. While I don't agree that this is a worse time than during DC's tenure,the bunnet wasn't claiming that the team were good enough for a top six in Scotland spot, like the current management/players. With regard to the Gretna defeats, I'm pretty sure they were top of the league at the time, not bottom like Ross County. I watched Lamont's and Rooney's teams and, although they were poor, they had a bit of fight about them as Norgethistle stated. However, I do find it a quite meaningless argument. We are here and now and the team are badly under performing, just the same as they were in all the games mentioned.

Edited by Jag

Regarding the debate/argument that has followed I would have to say it is all relative. While I don't agree that this is a worse time than during DC's tenure,the bunnet wasn't claiming that the team were good enough for a top six in Scotland spot, like the current management/players. With regard to the Gretna defeats, I'm pretty sure they were top of the league at the time, not bottom like Ross County. I watched Lamont's and Rooney's teams and, although they were poor, they had a bit of fight about them as Norgethistle stated. However, I do find it a quite meaningless argument. We are here and now and the team are badly under performing, just the same as they were in all the games mentioned.

So you think it's relevant to compare both records. Archie has spent most of managerial career with Thistle in the top division in Scotland and Dickie?? I rest my case!

Edited by Lindau

So you think it's relevant to compare both records. Archie has spent most of managerial career with Thistle in the top division in Scotland and Dickie?? I rest my case!

No, I didn't say that. I said I find it meaningless argument. What I was meaning was relative was the standard of opposition that we were playing.

Please don't think for a minute that I am in any way defending DC.

No, I didn't say that. I said I find it meaningless argument. What I was meaning was relative was the standard of opposition that we were playing.

Please don't think for a minute that I am in any way defending DC.

Not a dig at you my friend, but anyone seriously comparing Dickies record with Archie's, is in need of serious help.....I won't name names!