Can I Be The First To Say.....

La Scimmia Rossa

In regards to the Taylor deal I assume we are paying his wages in full, so he does not come cheap, if this is correct why did we not just match the offer Scunthorpe made him back in July.

Taylor made it clear his intention was to sign for us but Scunny came in at the last moment, he knew their manager very well, indeed I think they were friends and he felt he had unfinished business in English football. The manager has now left, he has dropped to the bench, Scunny have brought a few new strikers in, he has obviously been told he is out the picture and perhaps his agent contacted Archie to say he would love to come back. Simple really!

Taylor made it clear his intention was to sign for us but Scunny came in at the last moment, he knew their manager very well, indeed I think they were friends and he felt he had unfinished business in English football. The manager has now left, he has dropped to the bench, Scunny have brought a few new strikers in, he has obviously been told he is out the picture and perhaps his agent contacted Archie to say he would love to come back. Simple really!

It would be nice if it turns out to be that simple!

• Like 1

Couldn't possibly be any other way. Remember we don't have a scouting policy in place and anyway our manager is clueless :)

Jeez. Whit a thread. Getting back to DP's hit-or-miss list, I agree with his judgement the vast majority of the time. However, putting aside those who are not yet eligible for assessment for a moment (the 'jury's out' category), I think that the use of binary categorical variables boosts the miss figures somewhat. This is because, in my opinion, more of the misses are marginal calls. Also, whether a player is a 'miss' surely depends on the expectations of the manager. Often players are brought in merely to boost the squad. This being the case, the fact that they fail to nail down a regular place in the first eleven doesn't mean that they are a failure, as they weren't brought in with that expectation. This is not to say that the manager doesn't hope that such players develop to the point where they are able to displace a regular first-team player, more that it is not the expectation. Think Ricky Lambert (Liverpool), Scott Sinclair (Man City), Scott Parker and Steve Sidwell (both Chelsea). Moreover, players in this category tend to be at clubs for a limited period of time, as they eventually get fed up with sitting on the bench. The likes of Piccolo and Carroll probably fall into this category, perhaps even Eccleston. They were brought in as back-up, and to hopefully provide some competition, but eventually got fed up and were moved on. Whether they were 'misses' is therefore more difficult to determine. I'll give you Carroll, as I don't think he was good enough even as back-up, but Piccolo was decent at times and Eccleston performed relatively well on the limited times that I saw him play.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Feel free to chuck some abuse my way, as I'll feel left out otherwise and begin to think that my posts are too bland to even attract censure.

• Like 1

Jeez. Whit a thread. Getting back to DP's hit-or-miss list, I agree with his judgement the vast majority of the time. However, putting aside those who are not yet eligible for assessment for a moment (the 'jury's out' category), I think that the use of binary categorical variables boosts the miss figures somewhat. This is because, in my opinion, more of the misses are marginal calls. Also, whether a player is a 'miss' surely depends on the expectations of the manager. Often players are brought in merely to boost the squad. This being the case, the fact that they fail to nail down a regular place in the first eleven doesn't mean that they are a failure, as they weren't brought in with that expectation. This is not to say that the manager doesn't hope that such players develop to the point where they are able to displace a regular first-team player, more that it is not the expectation. Think Ricky Lambert (Liverpool), Scott Sinclair (Man City), Scott Parker and Steve Sidwell (both Chelsea). Moreover, players in this category tend to be at clubs for a limited period of time, as they eventually get fed up with sitting on the bench. The likes of Piccolo and Carroll probably fall into this category, perhaps even Eccleston. They were brought in as back-up, and to hopefully provide some competition, but eventually got fed up and were moved on. Whether they were 'misses' is therefore more difficult to determine. I'll give you Carroll, as I don't think he was good enough even as back-up, but Piccolo was decent at times and Eccleston performed relatively well on the limited times that I saw him play. Anyway, just some thoughts. Feel free to chuck some abuse my way, as I'll feel left out otherwise and begin to think that my posts are too bland to even attract censure.

No No don’t be too hard on yourself takes some brass to come up with “Piccolo was decent at times” oh and yer also a bam pot!!!

• Like 1

No No don’t be too hard on yourself takes some brass to come up with “Piccolo was decent at times” oh and yer also a bam pot!!!

Thanks - I feel more involved now.

While it's true that Gabby scared the life out of me at times, and therefore never convinced me that he was likely to become our first-choice centre-half, I don't think it's unreasonable to state that he had a few decent games.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When you give it out you have to be big enough to take the hits when things go tits up. Think, by his absence over the last few weeks, that LSR has proven that he likes to dish it out but can't take it back. I am an Archie man, but that will never stop me criticising when I feel it's deserved and he has got plenty wrong since the turn of the year. On the other side lets remember that there were plenty on here this time last year spouting the same arguments about the manager and saying we wouldn't get another point and that we were going down, that disappeared as well when we stayed up!!

When you give it out you have to be big enough to take the hits when things go tits up. Think, by his absence over the last few weeks, that LSR has proven that he likes to dish it out but can't take it back. I am an Archie man, but that will never stop me criticising when I feel it's deserved and he has got plenty wrong since the turn of the year. On the other side lets remember that there were plenty on here this time last year spouting the same arguments about the manager and saying we wouldn't get another point and that we were going down, that disappeared as well when we stayed up!!

I saw someone on Twitter last night saying something along the lines of "Archie took over Jackie's team and we've been going backwards since". Obviously forgetting he got us promoted with an unbelievable run of unbeaten matches - and then kept us up in 10th place last season.

People are stupid. Especially people who have hated Archie as manager since day one and can't recognise his contribution, and especially people who love Archie so much that they can't accept any criticism when he gets it wrong.

• Like 1

As you can see from my posting history, i don't spend too much time here. I find it's largely a place for the moronic element of the Thistle support to hang out, with a dozen or so notable exceptions.

The last few weeks have been difficult for any supporter but I remain loyal to the guy who got us promoted, brought us a decent season last season and someone i believe will keep us up and progress. He's the Thistle manager. As such, he's bound to make mistakes and do unfathomable stuff. Just like Lambie did before him. And Auld before him. And McParland before him. He and the players have to take responsibility for it and sort it out.

However, as fans, some people need to take a good look at themselves.

Some of the shouts from so called fans during the game were moronic. Some wanted it humped up the park. Others want us to hold onto it. Some applauded Stevo-the guy they spent 4 months slating. Others were bewildered why Craigen didn't come on-the guy they said wasn't good enough to play in the SPFL. One guy even shouted that Taylor was "up here for a holiday". It is an indisputable fact that a high percentage of Thistle fans have not a clue, sadly they are usually the drink fuelled clowns that shout loudest on a Saturday.

To those i who want Archie sacked, give me the name of the replacement and guarantee he'll make progress, on and off the field and i'll sign up. I note that there seems to be a shortage of names being bandied about.

Oh and just before i leave you in peace, those of you who wanted Archie to play two men up front. I assume you'll admitting you got that spectacularly wrong then?

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa
  • Like 2

As you can see from my posting history, i don't spend too much time here. I find it's largely a place for the moronic element of the Thistle support to hang out, with a dozen or so notable exceptions.

The last few weeks have been difficult for any supporter but I remain loyal to the guy who got us promoted, brought us a decent season last season and someone i believe will keep us up and progress. He's the Thistle manager. As such, he's bound to make mistakes and do unfathomable stuff. Just like Lambie did before him. And Auld before him. And McParland before him. He and the players have to take responsibility for it and sort it out.

Some of the shouts from so called fans during the game were moronic. Some wanted it humped up the park. Others want us to hold onto it. Some applauded Stevo-the guy they spent 4 months slating. Others were bewildered why Craigen didn't come on-the guy they said wasn't good enough to play in the SPFL. One guy even shouted that Taylor was "up here for a holiday". It is an indisputable fact that a high percentage of Thistle fans have not a clue, sadly they are usually the drink fuelled clowns that shout loudest on a Saturday.

To those i who want Archie sacked, give me the name of the replacement and guarantee he'll make progress, on and off the field and i'll sign up. I note that there seems to be a shortage of names being bandied about.

Oh and just before i leave you in peace, those of you who wanted Archie to play two men up front. I assume you'll admitting you got that spectacularly wrong then?

My Archie is the next ALec Fergusson!!!!!!!11!!

Can I ask, did you tell any of these people to STFU? Did you tell them they were morons or knob ends (like you just have on another thread) to their faces or do you just like being malicious behind the safety of your keyboard?

I agree with you, some of the shouts that you get at football matches (not just at Firhill) are laughable. Sometimes I find the variance in fan's opinions staggering, given that we are all watching the same game but that is life. Some supporters like some players better than others. Some think the manager should go, some don't. People shout for the ball to be played on the deck, others want it up the park. That is individual opinions of which no two people are likely to agree on all points to be discussed at football matches. Lots of people disagree on all sorts of things, you only need to spend two minutes on this forum to see that. However, I don't see many people at Firhill shouting STFU when they disagree with someone else's opinion and I can't remember the last time anyone that sits near me was called a moron or a knob end by another fan. I also don't see much of it on this forum, apart from when you are involved.

If the forum is so full of the moronic element, why do you not just go away and leave us/them all alone?

• Like 1

I wasn't in my usual seat on Saturday. In the new position, I was entertained by a fan who reckoned the real reason we were so incapable was because Archie wasn't standing up.

Pretty sure this guy spent most of the game standing up, so I'm not sure if it really was the masterstroke we were calling out for.

Remind us again where you were when we were watching dross under Campbell?

You were very vocal about it on previous forum guises & from afar (never said it) thought here's a guy who rather than support the team won't attend as he doesn't like the manager.

I'm sure you'd have been told to shut up you dick at that point? Oops you weren't there were you?

Forward a few years & you come on here & tell us that it's the 'moronic' element & 'knobs' etc that are on here.

What's the difference between those who dint believe in this manager & you with Campbell?

Because we're in the top league? Because he got us promoted?

That's all consigned to history.

We're talking here & now. We're talking this season. We're talking about a squad that continually tells us we're aiming for top 6. That's a recurring theme by employees at the club.

We now find ourselves dropping like a stone & (certain) players looking like not giving a damn.

Something not been right since the Xmas night out. You know that.

The players & management, it appears, are not all pulling in the same direction.

Has the manager lost the dressing room? I don't know as not in there but after Lawless' comments Sat night, Ecclestone before Xmas, McMillan suspension, Seaborne's ripped tights etc it doesn't take a genius to work out all is not well.

As for your 2 men up front comment... You do realise that reflects more badly on the manager that they can't change or know their roles in a different system?

After 2 years in the job he hasn't been able to get through to his players how to play a different formation through the game when plan A not working!!

I mentioned before. You look at teams throwing 4 & 5 guys up front against us to chase the game. We haven't seen that as like you say, we can't even play 2 up front.

Then we can't even change our system to close out a game!!

& yet we're the moronic element according to you?

Go figure

The fact that we looked miles off the pace, lethargic etc is maybe summed up by this quote from Eccleston

Eccleston has been impressed by the training at the Rugby Park club as he looks for a starting slot.He said: "I don't want to offend anyone at Thistle, but I have been really surprised by the tempo of the training sessions. The tempo is a lot sharper than I expected it to be."Nobody slackens. If you make a mistake you make a mistake, but everybody is encouraging and trying to demand the best of each other each every day."We have a new manager and everyone is looking to impress, but having spoken to some of the players, it has always been like that."I've spoken to the manager and my thought process is to come here and play football."The competition for places only improves you as a player. You know that if you don't do well, someone else is going to push you."

I was struggling big time on Saturday with a virus and was certain that I had brought it to Firhill given the display of certain players. It's a pretty damning view from Eccleston to be honest if it's true and not just coming from a player that has mischief on his mind as we let him go!

Edited by Lindau