Who Has Been A Great Player For Us

jim slavin's lunchbox

After reading Stuart bannigan described as "a great player for us" on another thread today, it got me thinking to some of the players who fall into this category. as much as I like SB, he hasn't made it into my thoughts. The first guy that jumped into my mind was Chic Charnley, for obvious reasons. Then I went through a whole host of maybes until I got to my favourite, Davie Elliott. When he got the ball, (usually after a pass from Chico) the buzz around the JH stand was fantastic. He, for all to brief a period, was a thistle great (imo of course). Any others?

After reading Stuart bannigan described as "a great player for us" on another thread today, it got me thinking to some of the players who fall into this category. as much as I like SB, he hasn't made it into my thoughts. The first guy that jumped into my mind was Chic Charnley, for obvious reasons. Then I went through a whole host of maybes until I got to my favourite, Davie Elliott. When he got the ball, (usually after a pass from Chico) the buzz around the JH stand was fantastic. He, for all to brief a period, was a thistle great (imo of course). Any others?

Are you being serious?

It's funny how the memory plays tricks, Davie Elliott (in his first and successful spell at Firhill) never played in front of the JHS.

Doug Somner

nuff said !

Well said Sir. Top scorer for the club in each of the five years he was with us, and one of the most feared forwards in the top league in Scotland in the late seventies. Even after his perplexing transfer to St. Midden, he continued to be their top scorer of each of the 3 years he was with them as well, once again in the top league. Subsequent moves to Hamilton and Montrose? Yes, top scorer for these teams each season he was there as well, albeit at a lower level but his work commitment meant he was happy to play part time.

It was a crime that we even thought about taking cash from St Midden for him, but it was thought at the time that Beastie Macadam was a good replacement. He done a job for a couple of years, but was never in Dougie's league.

Somners transfer was the catalyst for the woeful eighties and, I would argue, our 30 years in the wilderness. I'm still scarred and bitter. The Sons of Somner (Lanark Chapter) will continue to fight to ensure that those responsible for Somner's transfer will be brought to justice.

Edited by The Sons of Somner
  • Like 3

Well said Sir. Top scorer for the club in each of the five years he was with us, and one of the most feared forwards in the top league in Scotland in the late seventies. Even after his perplexing transfer to St. Midden, he continued to be their top scorer of each of the 3 years he was with them as well, once again in the top league. Subsequent moves to Hamilton and Montrose? Yes, top scorer for these teams each season he was there as well, albeit at a lower level but his work commitment meant he was happy to play part time.

It was a crime that we even thought about taking cash from St Midden for him, but it was thought at the time that Beastie Macadam was a good replacement. He done a job for a couple of years, but was never in Dougie's league.

Somners transfer was the catalyst for the woeful eighties and, I would argue, our 30 years in the wilderness. I'm still scarred and bitter. The Sons of Somner (Lanark Chapter) will continue to fight to ensure that those responsible for Somner's transfer will be brought to justice.

One of my all-time favourite Jags.