Gerree!

Lindau

Very good two page spread in today's Sun with Gerry Britton about his induction into the HOF, about Lambie refusing to waste £25,000 on a youth policy and Kenny Sansom!! . Link attached but you may need to be Sun subscriber to read it...not sure!

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/6407566/Why-would-I-waste-25000-on-youth-policy-I-could-gt-a-PLAYER-for-that.html

I will copy and paste

Why would I waste £25,000 on youth policy? I could get a PLAYER for that Lambie’s flawed policy had to change

By GARETH LAW

published

13 hours ago

comments

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

GOOGLE+

More...

GERRY BRITTON won’t hear a bad word said about John Lambie.

After all, some of his best days as a player came under the legendary Partick boss.

So often kindred spirits, they thrived in the ragtag environment the Jags made their trademark.

Yet, when it came to developing young players, their attitudes couldn’t have been further apart.

Maybe it’s ironic ex-striker Britton turned his back on a full-time career in law to return to first love Thistle to head up their academy.

Because before that the club’s approach to rearing their own had been criminal.

Today Britton — previously first-team boss — works in close tandem with current gaffer Alan Archibald to ensure there’s a pathway of playing from the kids to the first team.

It’s an approach which was too quickly ignored by the likes of Lambie, who would rather sign a player than invest in potential.

Sitting in his office which overlooks Firhill from the second floor of the main stand, Britton said: “When I was playing in the 1990s and Lambie was the manager we’d always have discussions about youth development.

“The set-up back then was like a boys’ club. His view was if it cost you £25,000 to run an academy then give him that and it’s one first-team player’s wage.

“His rationale was ‘What’s the point running that and the chance we might not get someone through?’.

“I’d say that was short-term thinking but that was probably our club mindset for many years.

“When I was manager in the SPL the club put a little bit of money into the academy. We got it up and running. Then we got relegated two divisions in two years and that was it. To be fair to John his concern was the first team but I’d like to think he’s mellowed as far as the youths go.”

The club’s numbers literally came up 18 months ago when Euromillions winners Colin and Christine Weir donated £750,000 for a new academy.

It was the impetus the club needed to strengthen their foundations.

Britton, 44, said: “Five years ago we started the process on a part-time basis. But it was ad-hoc with minimal financial input. It’s ended up running in tandem with getting the funding from the Weirs.

“There was also a recognition from the board that there are a lot of positives to gain from trying to develop young players.

“Look at the club over the last 20 years and you could hand-pick players who have come through here.

“Something had to change and thankfully we’re seeing the benefits. But without that money from the Weirs we wouldn’t be in the situation we’re in now.”

Stuart Bannigan is the shining example, having made his way into the Thistle first team after coming through the ranks following his release from Celtic.

GERRY BRITTON won’t hear a bad word said about John Lambie.

After all, some of his best days as a player came under the legendary Partick boss.

So often kindred spirits, they thrived in the ragtag environment the Jags made their trademark.

CIS CUP PREVIEW.PARTICK THISTLE MANAGER JOHN LAMBIE AND THISTLE PLAYER GERRY BRITTON WITH THE CIS CUP. Pic STEVE WELSH

Britton with old gaffer Lambie

Yet, when it came to developing young players, their attitudes couldn’t have been further apart.

Maybe it’s ironic ex-striker Britton turned his back on a full-time career in law to return to first love Thistle to head up their academy.

Because before that the club’s approach to rearing their own had been criminal.

Today Britton — previously first-team boss — works in close tandem with current gaffer Alan Archibald to ensure there’s a pathway of playing from the kids to the first team.

It’s an approach which was too quickly ignored by the likes of Lambie, who would rather sign a player than invest in potential.

PARTICK THISTLE HALL OF FAME GERRY BRITTON HELPS PROMOTE THISTLES HALL OF FAME

Britton promoting Hall of Fame dinner

Sitting in his office which overlooks Firhill from the second floor of the main stand, Britton said: “When I was playing in the 1990s and Lambie was the manager we’d always have discussions about youth development.

“The set-up back then was like a boys’ club. His view was if it cost you £25,000 to run an academy then give him that and it’s one first-team player’s wage.

“His rationale was ‘What’s the point running that and the chance we might not get someone through?’.

“I’d say that was short-term thinking but that was probably our club mindset for many years.

“When I was manager in the SPL the club put a little bit of money into the academy. We got it up and running. Then we got relegated two divisions in two years and that was it. To be fair to John his concern was the first team but I’d like to think he’s mellowed as far as the youths go.”

The club’s numbers literally came up 18 months ago when Euromillions winners Colin and Christine Weir donated £750,000 for a new academy.

It was the impetus the club needed to strengthen their foundations.

Britton, 44, said: “Five years ago we started the process on a part-time basis. But it was ad-hoc with minimal financial input. It’s ended up running in tandem with getting the funding from the Weirs.

“There was also a recognition from the board that there are a lot of positives to gain from trying to develop young players.

“Look at the club over the last 20 years and you could hand-pick players who have come through here.

“Something had to change and thankfully we’re seeing the benefits. But without that money from the Weirs we wouldn’t be in the situation we’re in now.”

Stuart Bannigan is the shining example, having made his way into the Thistle first team after coming through the ranks following his release from Celtic.

Headline: The boss couldn't walk out on us Caption: THISTLE DO NICELY...double hero Alex Burns fires home for Partick while fellow goalscorer Gerry Britton (right) celebrates GERRY BRITTON CELEBRATES SCORING PARTICK THISTLE'S FIRST GOAL, PARTICK THISTLE V DUNFERMLINE (4-0), 07.12.2002, PIC MIKE SCHOFIELD.

Britton in his Jags playing days

But just as important is the backing from Archibald and an Ajax-style top-to-bottom approach which sees all of Thistle’s teams play the same way.

Britton’s role is key too — and one he always had in mind for when the time came to hang up his boots.

He lasted 13 months as co-boss with Derek Whyte before being dismissed in January 2005.

But he said: “It had never been my intention to become a manager. It was youth football I was interested in.

“I’d ran boys’ clubs. Even when I was a young reserve at Celtic I’d go one night a week and help Benny Rooney take the S forms training.

“I was 18 or 19, they’d have been 12 to 15 and I’d coach them. It’s what I enjoyed doing.

“When I became manager here I’d been coaching the 20s and reserves. Gerry Collins was sacked and Derek and I were asked to look after things ‘for now’. We had a couple of good results, we were in the SPL, I was 33 and I was asked to be manager.

“It was never my long-term vision but you don’t knock back that chance.

Even though it was only for a year you learn so much.

“This job was always the ideal scenario for me. I didn’t think I’d get the chance to do it here because I was aware of the financial situation and how much it costs to run it properly.”

His strong relationship with Archibald, an ex-Jags team-mate, is based on respect, friendship and empathy.

Britton said: “It’s the old saying — never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his moccasins. You feel for Alan at times because you’ve been there.

“Thankfully since he took over things have been on an upward trajectory. I played with him then I was assistant to Ian McCall when he was playing.

“He’d shown an interest in coaching and we started him with the 17s. When Jackie McNamara left he took over and grasped it with both hands.

“He was always thoughtful about the game but he wasn’t one of the most forthright characters in the dressing room. He led by example on the field.

“In my role we don’t have to go looking for Alan. He’ll come up for a chat, comes to games and the odd training session.

“He wants to ensure the structure is right. That’s from the first team down to the grassroots teams. I’m in constant dialogue with him over any changes to what he’s doing.

“He’s got a certain way he wants the first team to play and we’re trying to create players who fit that model.

“If the pathway is in place, when the kids move up a step it’s nothing new to them. It’s the same formation and they’re asked to play in the same manner.

“On a five-year cycle from when we started we want to have a minimum of one player in the first team. If we could have another two in the squad that would be progress.

“The club has changed since my days whether you look at training facilities, methods, the back-up at the club. It’s moved on but it had to.

“But there are still the same core principles which you’d never take out of a club like this. They will never change.”

GERRY BRITTON first set foot inside Firhill 32 years ago as a schoolkid.

Later this month he’ll be given an official place in Partick Thistle history.

Britton will be inducted into the club’s Hall of Fame at a glittering dinner on April 24 alongside Kenny Arthur, Andy Anderson and Dr Alan Robertson.

He said: “This is a huge thing for me and my family. In my playing career my dad would follow me at whichever club I was at.

“But even he’s a diehard Thistle fan now. He still comes to games here and goes to a lot of away matches too.”

Tickets cost £45 or £550 for a corporate table. They are available at ptfc.co.uk/fans/hall_of_fame, on 0141 579 1971 or from the Firhill office.

Life & times

GERRY BRITTON signed an S form at Celtic in 1986 having played for Scotland’s Schoolboys then penned a professional contract the next year.

At reserve level he netted 122 goals in 196 games but failed to score in any of the four games he played for the first team.

His competitive debut came as a sub in a 3-1 defeat to Dundee United in December 1990.

After a short spell on loan at Reading he was sold to Partick Thistle for £100,000 in August 1992 and was a regular goalscorer for the Jags.

From there he moved to Dunfermline in 1996, with his goals helping fire the Pars to fifth place in the league.

He was loaned to Raith in the 1998/99 season then joined Second Division champs Livingston after being freed at the end of that season.

Britton stayed at Almondvale for two years, netting a hat-trick as Livi clinched the First Division championship in his final game for the club.

But rather than go up with them he returned to Partick, who themselves had just been crowned Second Division champions — and netted 12 times as they won a second successive promotion.

Britton netted five times in the Premier League as the Jags finished tenth, before being appointed co-manager with Derek Whyte in 2003 after Gerry Collins was sacked.

The duo couldn’t prevent Thistle’s relegation and were axed in January 2005. After training with Motherwell, Britton signed a short-term deal, before joining Dundee again in 2005.

He combined his playing duties with a role as assistant manager before his contract was terminated after acting as caretaker boss.

Britton became Stranraer player-manager in 2006 and handed himself his last action as a player that November as an 85th-minute sub.

Under his leadership, the Blues finished in the relegation play-off place and dropped out of the Second Division after losing to East Fife.

He won the Third Division Manager of the Month for December the following season but quit a month later to return to Thistle as assistant manager under Ian McCall.

After qualifying as a criminal defence lawyer he had a spell away from the game before returning to head up the Jags’ new academy.

• Like 4

Would be interested to read that, but i draw the line at subscribing to the sun or any other Rupert Murdoch / News International organ.

+ 1

good job on the c+p lindau, thanks for that.

love the fact king of spains dad is even a jags diehard now too.

great expansive article (highly unusual for the s*n).

There is also a funny bit about Kenny Sansom that isn't on the online version. Lambie apparently told Gerry to pick up an unnamed player at the clubs digs in Bishopbriggs and take him to training. Gerry waited outside in his battered up £400 Cortina. Out came Kenny Sansom. Gerry couldn't believe it...he (Gerry) was as nervous as hell. Took him to training. After training Sansom went in for a word with Lambie. Gerry waited on him to give him a run back to the Briggs. He came out and Gerry gave him a lift back. Gerry said he would pick him up for the game tomorrow. In a broad cockney accent Sansom said, "Nah, don't bovver mate" He was never seen again!!

+ 1

good job on the c+p lindau, thanks for that..............

........yes, great to read it with contributing to the Evil Empire's coffers!

love the fact king of spains dad is even a jags diehard now too..

.....and Gerry's uncle Charlie contributes here from time to time (as GBU) from his home in Vancouver!

There is also a funny bit about Kenny Sansom that isn't on the online version. Lambie apparently told Gerry to pick up an unnamed player at the clubs digs in Bishopbriggs and take him to training. Gerry waited outside in his battered up £400 Cortina. Out came Kenny Sansom. Gerry couldn't believe it...he (Gerry) was as nervous as hell. Took him to training. After training Sansom went in for a word with Lambie. Gerry waited on him to give him a run back to the Briggs. He came out and Gerry gave him a lift back. Gerry said he would pick him up for the game tomorrow. In a broad cockney accent Sansom said, "Nah, don't bovver mate" He was never seen again!!

Are u insinuating that GB could be involved in some mysterious dissapearnce? Has Sansoms body never been found?

• Like 1

Lambic was also quoted as saying how ****** off he was as Sansom drank most of his best whisky then vamoosed!

We might be breaking that barrier pretty soon too..... :happy2:

Thanks for the C&P Lindau. That was a good piece.

No problems Paulo. To me is just emphasises, contrary to what a few on here think, that the club is definitely going in the right direction.

If it's Lyle Taylor you are talking about I cannot see him costing £100,000 though if you throw in his wages it certainly won't be a cheap deal for the club.

Edited by Lindau

Ah, I was only stirring it up in the absence of any game this weekend. I can't keep up any ITK facade :lol:

Would be interesting to know how much our option on Taylor will cost, come to think of it. Wild speculation anyone? I'll start the bidding at 100k on the nose! (and throw in the rest for free).

Ah, I was only stirring it up in the absence of any game this weekend. I can't keep up any ITK facade :lol:

Would be interesting to know how much our option on Taylor will cost, come to think of it. Wild speculation anyone? I'll start the bidding at 100k on the nose! (and throw in the rest for free).

I was told, and I certainly don't know if it is 100% accurate, that Thistle bid £80,000 for Taylor last summer but Scunny offered Sheffield United £100,000. I thought the days of us offering any sort of transfer fee were long gone.

I would imagine Scunthorpe United would want to recoup all of that transfer fee if possible but I'm sure they will be happy getting him off the wage bill and would probably accept less than they paid.

I was told, and I certainly don't know if it is 100% accurate, that Thistle bid £80,000 for Taylor last summer but Scunny offered Sheffield United £100,000. I thought the days of us offering any sort of transfer fee were long gone.

I would imagine Scunthorpe United would want to recoup all of that transfer fee if possible but I'm sure they will be happy getting him off the wage bill and would probably accept less than they paid.

Don't think he will cost that. He is clearly not in their plans. The expensive part of the deal will be covering Lyle's wages

Edited by Lindau

• 7 months later...