What If We'd Sold .............

angry gaz

...................SoD during the transfer window? He's been terrific for us and scored some vital goals too. He has been such an important player for Thistle on this great run of form

Not having him wouldn't have been out weighed by the 100k Blackpool offered and we did accept.

There may well be a lesson there for us looking at St Mirren who sold McLean and virtually collapsed as a team afterwards and United who gave up any chance of cup glory by selling to Celtic.

Don't know that club had much choice - if they don't accept it could upset the player and maybe put him off his game. There might even be something in his contract that meant £100K or over had to be accepted.

But assuming we'd lost him, well we could have used some of that money to bring in a right back - though of course difficult to say whether he'd be as good as SOD. But might have got someone in just good enough not to really weaken the team.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I remember the stick he was getting on here and even from the crowd, with people saying he didn't want to play any more and he shouldn't play for the club again. His name even appeared in the title of one of the most nonsense threads of the season. Hope he stays, but if he doesn't then I'm delighted that he's going out on such a high.

Agree that Thistle didn't have much choice at the time.

SOD has been our most influential player in attack over recent weeks / months - who are the likely replacements 'if' we are to lose him in the summer?

I can't think of a fullback / wingback in Scotland I would rather have...

Edited by P-T-118

Not a time for having a go at any player and certainly not trying to. Not worried about SOD leaving would rather he stayed but if he goes that's fine I was more worried about ATS leaving last year and that wasn't a problem in the end.

Defensively he is quite poor and going forward is more miss than hit however he is still young and I feel he progressed this year and would like to see how far he can improve. Hopefully he won't move south and end up lhaving a season like ATS.

He will be a massive loss, if he goes. Was beginning to think we would never get an ATS replacement, then low and behold, out of the blue along comes Booth. Surprised that Hibs are letting him go. Hopefully we will pick someone similar up if Stephen does go.

Not a time for having a go at any player and certainly not trying to. Not worried about SOD leaving would rather he stayed but if he goes that's fine I was more worried about ATS leaving last year and that wasn't a problem in the end.

In the end meaning after: the preseason case of 'will we/won't we?' with Jordan Mustoe; the out of his depth Dale Keenan; the out of position (and not very good) Jake Carroll; the injury-prone Jordan McMillan (not to mention the rest of the baggage there); Christie Elliott stepping in for a few games as emergency cover, before finally settling with Callum Booth a few weeks ago?

Yeah, LB has been fine this year. :unknw:

Defensively he is quite poor and going forward is more miss than hit however he is still young and I feel he progressed this year and would like to see how far he can improve. Hopefully he won't move south and end up lhaving a season like ATS.

Metz, you are entitled to your opinion, but to say he is quite poor defensively and is more miss than hit going forward is utter rubbish. He has scored a few this season, created plenty down the right hand side and is an important part of one of the best defences in the league. As for your ATS comment, that position caused us countless problems early in the season and has only been rectified with the Booth signing

Somebody posted this on P&B. Add to that, the vital goals he has scored, including probably the goal of the season at Tannadice. Not bad for a guy that is more miss than hit going forward, in your opinion!

My assists table, all competitions

Lawless 8

O'Donnell 6

Bannigan 5

Stevenson 4

Higgy 4

Elliott 4

Carroll 2

Osman 2

Taylor 2

McDaid 2

Booth 1

Balatoni 1

Craigen 1

No assist 3

The ones I have for Higgy were- first goal vs Ross County on day 1, corner for Osman's header vs ICT, corner for OG at Tannadice, and the first yesterday.

Edited by Lindau

Somebody posted this on P&B. Add to that, the vital goals he has scored, including probably the goal of the season at Tannadice. Not bad for a guy that is more miss than hit going forward, in your opinion!

My assists table, all competitions

Lawless 8

O'Donnell 6

Bannigan 5

Stevenson 4

Higgy 4

Elliott 4

Carroll 2

Osman 2

Taylor 2

McDaid 2

Booth 1

Balatoni 1

Craigen 1

No assist 3

The ones I have for Higgy were- first goal vs Ross County on day 1, corner for Osman's header vs ICT, corner for OG at Tannadice, and the first yesterday.

Have not analysed all Higgy's assists in detail but certainly he gets the credit for Lyle Taylor's goal in the home defeat by Ross County, as Higgy landed a corner kick right on Lyle's head. I appreciate that the rest of the game was eminently forgettable!

We will miss Stephen O'Donnell greatly when he goes. Although I disagree with Metz that he is 'quite poor' defensively I can appreciate that he may have the odd lapse and be beaten a little too easy at the back. However, how many times does he get back from an attack to get himself between the opposing striker and our goal? It may not be a last ditch tackle but it does more than enough to cut out threats.

Add to that his constant energy and attacking style of play. How many times have you seen the likes of Osman, Welsh, Fraser, Balatoni and now Frans pinging that out ball down the right hand side with O'Donnell running on to it putting the defence on the back foot?

Granted, his crossing is up there with Paul Paton but the amount of chances he creates will not be matched by anyone else we bring in.