Nightmare 11

partick monkey

In fact if it was not so late at night, I would start a parallel thread for a team of players I liked, but nobody else did.

Stand out for me would be Jimmy Gibson, I mind him getting pelters quite often but I thought he was pretty decent. No idea what people thought of Marc Smyth but I liked him too and was disappointed when he left.

I'd either forgotten a number of Campbell signings or deliberately blanked them from memory. Who was the garbage left back signed from Rangers? Stevie Campbell, maybe?

"Can play anywhere across the back" according to the Bunnet who then added "but is most comfortable at left back". Turned out to be a poor man's Will Snowden.

Someone put Billy Dodds in- kidding right Willie Cairns always one of the first names to come to mind Shortly followed by Billy Paxton Midfield creativity simply didn't exist in the 80's Luckily I've forgotten much of the utter dross (John Workman, Ian Topper Thomson) I've witnessed over the years

Billy Paxton - he's the one guy I ever saw that made me think - "if he can play for Thistle so could I". Considering some of the players mentioned on this thread that shows you how poor a player I was - and also how bad Paxton was.

Edited by Mr Bunny

There's also a distinction between players who were at Firhill just to pick up a paycheque while they could still fool anyone that they weren't due for the glue factory, and honest, hard workers who unfortunately weren't very good at actually playing football.

Edited by Richard Nixon

Have to say I think the OP is way wide of the mark with some of his selections. A good few players in there who were decent players for us, especially Chappie.

Also a bit harsh to have Paton in there. His first season at RB was excellent.

Just my opinion IM.

I just remember being extremely frustrated watching Paton in front of the city end of JHS. He couldn't beat a man, was (still is) completely one footed and was prone to being a bit rash in the challenge. I am very aware when McNamara moved him to midfield he was a revelation but personally I thought he was pish at RB.

I remember Chappie having a great work ethic but can't remember him being very good technically. He seemed a bit lightweight to me...

IMO

Edited by partick monkey

I've only read page one and haven't seen any mention of Barry Smith. I will therefore never ever post on this forum again either in this or a future life, under any circumstances whatsoever. Fact! ish.

The thing about Smith is we got him out of season (from Iceland and I think he was coming back from an injury too) and he wasn't match fit and only got match fit when the season was about over. He was a waste for us of course but could ahve been a half-decent signing if we'd been able to get him when he was fit.

^^^ Hmmm. I remember our end of season game at Gretna, with Bone in charge, and Smith lined up at centre half. Utterly and unspeakably awful. Fat, clueless, a milk float surrounded by Ford Capris. These were his better points.

Also earlier on, at Palmerston, in a 10 minute first half period, he attained the distinction of slicing the ball into the stand 3 times when under no pressure whatsoever and Thistle players at the other end of the pitch anticipating a quality hoof up the park.

Also, that 4-3 game was where I experienced the worst display ever by a centre half since the emergence of homo sapiens in Southern Africa: Scott Boyd being done all over the place (admittedly by Stephen Dobbie).

"We're gonnae win 5-4."

Just my opinion IM.

I just remember being extremely frustrated watching Paton in front of the city end of JHS. He couldn't beat a man, was (still is) completely one footed and was prone to being a bit rash in the challenge. I am very aware when McNamara moved him to midfield he was a revelation but personally I thought he was pish at RB.

I remember Chappie having a great work ethic but can't remember him being very good technically. He seemed a bit lightweight to me...

IMO

You started the thread so all respect but perhaps you should understand most of us aren't going to select players that epitomised what being a true Jags player is all about. Indeed if two or three of your selection had shown half the effort that Chaplain gave us then I doubt they'd have made your line up.

Btw I was a huge critic of Paton as a right back. His onefootedness with an apparent little effort to rectify such a glaring fault made me doubt his professionalism. Even so there must surely have been poorer players in the right back position in the last 12 or 13 years. Will Snowden or Wee Anis were dreadful.

LIB you can put whoever you want in your nightmare 11. It's aw just a bit of fun in the close season intit.

For what it's worth, I though Anis was a better RB than Paton and Will Snowden must have been so shite I can't even remember him playing for us.

People saying I'm a bit harsh on Chappie being in my 11. Sorry I caused offence. I just never rated him myself...

Whatabout Andy Wilkinson I cant remember if he was any good for us yet he's played in Premiership with Stoke for almost ten years

Andy wilkinson was a young skinny lad in those days, he played ok but his most effective contribution was pushing the ref (can't mind who- foy??) at the excelsior and putting us down to 9 men after one had been sent off and we got pumped 4-2. Big escales scored a peach that day if I remember, not that it mattered much.

Ps don't think I can mention anyone that's not been touted so far but Klein, Kane, s hodge, kevin McGowan, j Gibson, kilgannon, flannigan, brady, bonnes, paddy keogh and paul Keegan's is the worst team for me. God think of the lack of pace!!!

Campbell has a lot to answer for.

Edited by kennymac29