Friendly V Falkirk

Don't see how you can say anyone is "detached from reality" if they think "four or five" signings could be coming in, considering Archie actually said that at the start of July.

I do think five is excessive but four is certainly possible: right-back and striker that we all agree on, a versatile defender which most agree on, and in my opinion, one more attacking option. That's not to shove Wilson down the pecking border, I just think if Stevenson's out it'd be good to have another number 10 style player - something Wilson and Fraser don't really seem to be (tending to play further back in the Bannigan role).

He had two real shots of note to contend with, which he did satisfactorily. He seems a lot more vocal than Fox and less reluctant to come off his line.

I think that's his particular strength, coming off the line and blocking shots. He'll no doubt be made to look stupid now and again but over the piece he'll be far more effective than Fox was in that department.

I think that's his particular strength, coming off the line and blocking shots. He'll no doubt be made to look stupid now and again but over the piece he'll be far more effective than Fox was in that department.

Anyone know Scullys height. Thought he looked quite small in goals v Dumbarton and he certainly didn't venture far from his line in that game, allowing the big central defence of Frans, Lindsay and Seaborne to deal with any crosses near the goal. Would never judge the guy on a friendly game but will be amazed if Cerny isn't the regular keeper this season, with Scully maybe getting the cup games

Edited by Lindau

Eh? Cup games give us the oppprtunity to make extra cash/a shot at glory. I don't think we're quite at the Man U/FA Cup stages yet.

Unless, of course, you mean in ties against much weaker opposition.

Never said it doesn't. If Cerny keeps his fitness I am pretty sure he will be No 1 this season, so the only time Scully MIGHT get a chance to grab some experience is in the cup games. At the end of the day, doesn't matter what you or I think....Archie will decide!

Lindsay has been in and around the first team squad for a few seasons now and has played a lot on loan. He doesn't need to be wrapped in cotton wool and prevented from playing - that's the opposite kind of attitude that we need. All bringing in another centre back does is push him and Jack Hendry further down the pecking order at a time when they need games to improve.

This isn't Football Manager. We have two excellent centre backs and two excellent young prospects as back up - we don't need another.

I never said prevent him from playing or wrap him in cotton wool. That’s not the point I am making.

There is nothing stopping a manager playing a youngster even if you do have other options you know. Even if we do bring in another centre back Lindsey is a strong contender to replace Seabourn if he is injured or suspended. Going on his record last year both of them are likely.

Regarding Scully I still think he will go out on loan. We will be looking for a team that will be a big chuck of his wages though. No point in having him sit on the bench when he could be out playing on loan. When we do have to reduce the size of the playing squad having an extra goalkeeper does not make much sense in my view.

I never said prevent him from playing or wrap him in cotton wool. That’s not the point I am making.

There is nothing stopping a manager playing a youngster even if you do have other options you know. Even if we do bring in another centre back Lindsey is a strong contender to replace Seabourn if he is injured or suspended. Going on his record last year both of them are likely.

I've read that and I still don't know what point your trying to make. And it's Lindsay, btw.

I'll be surprised if Scully heads out on loan. Gallacher strikes me as being an emergency option.

archie has previous for switching between two keepers, and giving runs of games to both fox and galls. sometimes it's been out of necessity (injury to the other), but for majority of times it happened, it wasn't through a forced decision.

if archie believes sculls and cerny are both up to task, i can foresee similar periods of the gk jersey switching between the two throughout the season. and he has the added benefit of the more than capable galls as backup should either be injured, suspended or lose form.

if any keeper is likely to head out on loan, it will be one of the young boys like waters or cullen i would say.

Don't see how you can say anyone is "detached from reality" if they think "four or five" signings could be coming in, considering Archie actually said that at the start of July.

I do think five is excessive but four is certainly possible: right-back and striker that we all agree on, a versatile defender which most agree on, and in my opinion, one more attacking option. That's not to shove Wilson down the pecking border, I just think if Stevenson's out it'd be good to have another number 10 style player - something Wilson and Fraser don't really seem to be (tending to play further back in the Bannigan role).

True but I see that Archie himself has now revised that figure down to three.

Despite Archie explicitly saying that we're looking for quality rather than quantity, and that not all of the players who have left will be replaced, we've still got folk using the number of arrivals as some kind of predictive barometer for the season's prospects - and if we don't get the four or five that people seem to maintain that we need, the doom merchants will be out in force, blaming the board for not releasing (imaginary) funds or Archie for wasting time with trials.

This isn't directed at you TAT by the way. There just seems to be a number of folk who appear to be living on another planet who see the relatively lavish spending of some of our rivals and expect us to do likewise.

I'll be as delighted as the next Thistle fan if we can bring more experienced players in; but if we can't, we can't. For the first time in my Thistle supporting "career", we're on the verge of self sufficiency. I'll take that every time rather than adopting County's scattergun recruitment of journeymen every season.

• Like 1

Re Scully: if he's been brought back after two excellent full seasons at East End Park merely to sit on the bench at Firhill, he would be right to feel thoroughly p*ssed off.

Re Cerny: if he's been bought after excellent full seasons in the Bulgarian and Greek top flights, merely to sit on the bench at Firhill, he would be right to feel thoroughly p*ssed off