Oh Dear! Bring On Jimmy Calderwood

jagfaelivi

The pitch doesn't recover in December and January in Scotland and it's being played on once or twice a week merely adding to the damage. Scottish football needs to try something completely different so let's try summer football for say 5 seasons with 2 big leagues and see if we improve football wise and crowd wise, the current system will kill the game

yes it is adding to the damage but its getting the **summer** to recover, the rest i agree with

The pitch doesn't recover in December and January in Scotland and it's being played on once or twice a week merely adding to the damage.

Scottish football needs to try something completely different so let's try summer football for say 5 seasons with 2 big leagues and see if we improve football wise and crowd wise, the current system will kill the game

I'm the world's worst gardener but I would think summer football wouldn't be too much a worry for those clubs who can afford to relay their pitch on a regular basis. The vast majority, like us, can only afford to re-seed and summer football would prove problematic. Unfortunately unless the SPFL/SFA are prepared to meet the cost of re turfing then we'd be struggling to see football played on a decent surface. As one who doesn't believe football should be played on artificial surfaces, certainly at top level, I'd hate to see the argument for them given more credence.

• Like 1

You mean like the way all league systems work? Yes, I do. I'd rather play teams over and over again in games which actually matter than play new teams in meaningless games.

I don't buy this 'meaningless game' thing. Remember when we lost to Ross County on the last day of the season? Was that a meaningless game? I remember a lot of folk on here complaining about how much prize money we missed out on. All games actually matter.

You mean like the way all league systems work? Yes, I do. I'd rather play teams over and over again in games which actually matter than play new teams in meaningless games.

So say the idea of a league of eight clubs, with each team playing each other three times home and away, wouldn't particularly bother you?

The only folk here who are arguing for the status quo have got their fingers in their ears. Their reasons for keeping a small league have been systematically dismantled by various other posters yet they continue to make the same flawed arguments. It's actually symptomatic of the problems we have in Scottish Football generally - too many people stuck in their ways refusing to acknowledge the huge problems we currently face.

Meaningless games - you will get that in any league format. How many did we have at the end of last season? Would you rather we had been worse and ended up in the play offs? No? Would have meant less meaningless games so why not?

The Champions League is a league format of just 4 teams, yet if a team wins it's first 4 games the likelihood is that their last 2 games will be in effect "meaningless". It's unavoidable no matter how small the league is.

The game needs radical change from top to bottom. Those refusing to accept the need for change are responsible for the slow and painful death of the professional game in this country. It's happening already.

• Like 1

Ian's mention of "meaningless games" reminds me to add to a previous post regarding a 16 team league. In theory, with less league games than the current 39/36 games, the number of games where league safety/status is not at issue would be similar.

That tho' is a moot point as regardless the size of a league you can always, with only a little imagination, ensure most fixtures have a valued consideration. A top 8 finish could/should be required to be in Pot 1 for the ensuing season's League Cup section, which in turn would obviously significantly increase the club's chances of progressing in that competition. Mentioned elsewhere even with two up two down there could always be play offs affecting the 14th place. League finishing spots could continue to relate to the stage a club enters the Scottish Cup. And of course monetary pay outs would also continue to be determined by final league position. You could even tweak that to be determined by points accrued rather than league position tho' I haven't really thought that one thru. Whatever, it's relatively simple to more or less ensure that the vast majority of fixtures have a significant level of importance.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I have always liked the Rugby League Grand Final playoffs to decide the champions and this could be copied into any league size.

From the final League positions

3rd are at home to 6th

4th are at home to 5th

semi finals

1st at home to 4th/5th

2nd at home to 3rd/6th

Final at Hampden.

So, a big incentive to get a top 6 place and midtable games become meaningful

A big incentive to get as high as possible and therefore as easy a run to the final as possible

More chance of breaking up the Rangers/Celtic monopoly when it comes down to one-of games.