Airdrie 15/07/2016....first Competitive Game Of Season.

Lindau

However, shortly after the break, Thistle had something to say about that. Hugo Faria, who had come on for Marc Fitzpatrick a few moments earlier, was caught in possession by Doolan, who burgled him of the ball just 25 yards out.

He took a couple of steps forward and delivered a low shot that beat Crawford low at his right-hand post.

That was Chick Young's report on our goal, presenting it as a solo effort by Doolan who won the ball, stepped beyond the defence and shot past the goalkeeper, completely ignoring the tackle by Erskine and the through ball by McDaid which Doolan finished masterfully.

I can accept that a reporter with one look at a goal can make a wrong call when players converge on the ball and it is difficult to make out who got the last touch, but in this case all three players and the parts they played were clearly visible and memorable even to someone as unobservant as me. Maybe a new career beckons. Could I apply for Chick's job, or am I not lazy and inept enough?

However, shortly after the break, Thistle had something to say about that. Hugo Faria, who had come on for Marc Fitzpatrick a few moments earlier, was caught in possession by Doolan, who burgled him of the ball just 25 yards out.

He took a couple of steps forward and delivered a low shot that beat Crawford low at his right-hand post.

That was Chick Young's report on our goal, presenting it as a solo effort by Doolan who won the ball, stepped beyond the defence and shot past the goalkeeper, completely ignoring the tackle by Erskine and the through ball by McDaid which Doolan finished masterfully.

I can accept that a reporter with one look at a goal can make a wrong call when players converge on the ball and it is difficult to make out who got the last touch, but in this case all three players and the parts they played were clearly visible and memorable even to someone as unobservant as me. Maybe a new career beckons. Could I apply for Chick's job, or am I not lazy and inept enough?

You answered your own question.

Don't really see how anyone can be unhappy about the result or the performance considering the players we had out injured, and also bearing in mind how early in the season this is.

Personally I thought McDaid did well first half, with Wilson playing a lot better in the 2nd. Erskine should have had at least 1 goal but played well. We were a bit dodgy at the back and could have conceded but again, it's a new central defensive pairing and these games are perfect for getting them match practice together. Ziggy was solid defensively, which is his main job, and I thought Doolan was brilliant as usual, looked like he hadn't stopped playing matches since the end of last season. Azeez looked a real handful when he came on, he seems to have a combination of strength and lightening pace which will always cause problems to centre halves. Undoubtedly still a bit of a rough diamond but we've shown before that we can get the best out of these guys. Interesting to see him and Doolan playing together - Dools seemed to drop a bit deeper and let Azeez do the running in behind the defence. The latter was unlucky not to get a debut goal, seeing it again it was a good save by the keeper.

So overall, a good result considering some of the slip ups we saw from other premier league teams against lesser opposition.

A great example why it doesn't matter a jot whether we play over summer or not - a truly miserable night.

I thought Airdrie caused us quite a few problems down our left side. Whether that was down to the quality of their play (thought the Airdrie right full back had a good game), the lack of fitness of Booth and Lindsay or a combination of both, I'm not sure. What is for certain is that we looked decidedly ropey defensively at times and a more clinical team would have punished us.

Crawford is certainly vocal enough which I like but I did think there were certain indications why he's played at a lower level for the majority of his career. I didn't think he came off his line enough and he seemed far too keen to play the ball out, putting us under unnecessary pressure at times. Made a fine save in the first half when Lindsay and Devine got absolutely ripped with a simple third man run. It's hardly a ringing endorsement for Scully that many of us didn't feel any less secure with Crawford in goals. Will certainly do us a turn over the next few weeks.

Wilson had a fine game and seen a lot of the ball. He was playing more of a deep lying role which I think is his best position. Strong contender for MOTM for me. Against lower league opposition - and no offence to Airdrie who were well in the game - Welsh's quality is pretty clear to see, in my opinion.

Ziggy had a solid debut and lasted very well, fitness wise, considering he's only just arrived. Will be interesting to see to what extent Archie and Shaggy can bring on his attacking play to fit in with our style.

Azeez looked like a cult hero in the making - out muscle and skin the full back on one hand then haplessly shank the ball out of play from a throw in on the other. Sure he'll fit in just fine at Thistle. Jokes aside, he looks like a very handy option from the bench and is definitely a centre forward - I thought he might have been able to be utilised in one of the wide positions but I wouldn't have thought so on last night's evidence.

McDaid really has to start showing more on his first team outings or else he'll struggle to get a new deal. Part of me wondered whether he was in last night partly to give Airdrie a look at him because I suspect he'll be put out on loan.

Still a work in progress but that's only to be expected so early in pre-season. This competition flies in the face of what is usually the objective at this stage of the season; we'd normally be looking for a performance rather than a result. Think there's a lot of things that require ironing out (number of substitutes, use of trialists, etc.) before next year. That said, when we last had a "competitive" edge to our pre-season in the Firhill tournament in 2012, we won the Championship.

Edited by Armand2
  • Like 1

I thought from the highlights that there were some pretty fine passages of play by us, and some nice passing. The keeper looks like adequate back-up, though from highlights alone it's not possible to fully judge. But again I have to say, how cool was Dools as he scored, supremely confident that it was heading for the net.