The Young Team

smokiejag

Just back from watching the Development Team winning 2-1 after being down at half time. Lots of positives. McMullin a star at centre back ably supported by McInally. Dochetry very comfortable on the ball and McCarthy not far behind him. However Declan McDade stole the show. He was a lone striker first half and wide left secaond. Didn't waste a ball, loads of pace and scored twice.

Wel done to all the young lads and to their coaches. Soon some of them may be pushing for a first team place. Good luck to all of them for the rest of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

it is a shame the likes of wilson and mcdaid won't make it at firhill as they are decent players

if you don't mind me asking what makes you think McDaid won't make it at firhill? Seems to be doing really well just know for the under 20s which will come to the managers attention and if someone like Amoo has a poor few games which he did sometimes last season then McDaid should be given a chance
  • Like 1

if you don't mind me asking what makes you think McDaid won't make it at firhill? Seems to be doing really well just know for the under 20s which will come to the managers attention and if someone like Amoo has a poor few games which he did sometimes last season then McDaid should be given a chance

Think McDaid has been playing a good bit thru the middle of late, TL. The absence of Nisbet and with Pogba away may give him the opportunity to come on for a number of players.

McDaid is 20 so is pretty much in last chance saloon as he will be too old for development squad next season and he has so many players who would be selected before him even if Amoo was playing shit. If he was gonna break through you would be expecting him to have done so by now but he is out of the picture and i am sure him and Wilson will be away at the seasons end if not before.

McDaid is 20 so is pretty much in last chance saloon as he will be too old for development squad next season and he has so many players who would be selected before him even if Amoo was playing shit. If he was gonna break through you would be expecting him to have done so by now but he is out of the picture and i am sure him and Wilson will be away at the seasons end if not before.

I don't know if you'll be proven correct. But I tend to agree, in that, the Development Squad has become a victim of the clubs success in repeatedly retaining our top flight status. Players will be freed by the club, that would walk into a 2nd Tier Thistle team.

I don't know if you'll be proven correct. But I tend to agree, in that, the Development Squad has become a victim of the clubs success in repeatedly retaining our top flight status. Players will be freed by the club, that would walk into a 2nd Tier Thistle team.

That's very true and with first team players signed up that bit longer even harder for the youngsters to break into the squad.. The better some of those first team players do and provided they don't suffer long term injuries there's so little opportunity for the likes of McDaid and Wilson. The present U20s are the best Jags youth side I've seen, but the present first team squad is also the strongest I've seen (for a long time at least).

There's good problems and bad problems. We're talking the former here. If a fair amount of youngsters end up playing 2nd tier full time football it will do our reputation no harm whatsoever. In my mind to make our youth policy successful we only need to have a couple of players break into the first team every two or three years. Obviously if they're then sold on for decent cash it would help Club finances greatly but even when they stay with us we'd still be quids in.

I have just watched the highlights of the game hoping to see the passes, but the video only showed the goals and near things. I can't remember how many passes the Leeds Revie team put together all those years ago, but there seemed less showboat from thistle, just another part of their game. Brilliant stuff.

If the ranters who sit behind me witness anything like this on Saturday they will explode. Whatever happened to getting it up the park?

Edited by David Stevenson
  • Like 1

That was terrific but not surprised having seen them a few times. Well done the coach.next step is to get them stepping up.appreciate some are only 17/18 so future looks good and boys are in good hands.

I think Wilson has been unlucky to have been left out the 1st team as he has been excellent when utilised. Imo a better bet than welsh.