Welsh Injured

stuart_adam

I must admit I thought Fraser might be back by now but he seems to be progressing at the same rate as Bannigan, i.e. maybe see an appearance the last game or so of the season. Apart from Osman, Barton and Edwards our other midfielders are really forwards/wingers who can play attacking midfield but can't really do the defensive midfield job these do. Leaves us a bit short there as I'm not sure the combination of Barton/Edwards would work so well if Osman was injured.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Welsh, Bannigan and Fraser all out. Sean has been consistently very good this season, Banzo was on the form of his life when he got injured and Gary (at worst) has the potential to be an important member of the squad. Wilson, who could at least fill in a game or two, out on loan. Our other midfielders need to try an avoid picking up silly bookings. Suspensions could prove expensive.

Could we pull Wilson back from loan if we got injuries/suspensions in that area? Sometimes a player can do well in an unfamiliar position but I don't see Lawless, Erskine, Amoo or even Elliot (though he has a bit more dig) being able to play one of the defensive mid positions. Still at least at the moment we have Barton as well as Edwards as options to play beside Osman. I guess the real problem would be if Osman was out for more than a game or two.

Could we pull Wilson back from loan if we got injuries/suspensions in that area? Sometimes a player can do well in an unfamiliar position but I don't see Lawless, Erskine, Amoo or even Elliot (though he has a bit more dig) being able to play one of the defensive mid positions. Still at least at the moment we have Barton as well as Edwards as options to play beside Osman. I guess the real problem would be if Osman was out for more than a game or two.

McCarthy shouldn't be discounted. Because of his injury last season he'd been eased back. Lately he's developed a good bit more dig to his game and there's no doubting the lad's potential. I don't think he's been on the bench just to make up the numbers as is often the case with the development players.

it speaks volumes for the man that fans are so disappointed in Sean Welsh's injury news.

A couple of seasons ago the guy could not catch a break on the injury front and fans would have been happy to see him leave the club at that point. He then endured a few difficult periods last season as he fought his way back to full fitness after having so many serious problems to contend with.

He still has his 'moments' on the field but they are becoming less frequent and he has proved himself to all the doubters. It's not only a blow to the team that he has been ruled out for so long but a blow for Sean himself - you can't help feel for him, given what he has gone through in his career already.

However, he's been through it before and come back so I'm pretty sure he'll do it again.

• Like 2

welsh has, over the last 2 months, appreciated what is required in the PL.

Many fans and possibly the player himself doubted that he had the ability to step up. But give him enormous credit for beginning to realise his potential. He has become a very important team member who plays for the benefit of all.

Similar to Scully, its a great pity that he is injured after producing the best form of his career. But this season will have been beneficial for both.

Let's hope Sean returns ahead of schedule.

Give McCarthy a chance. He looks good. Thats why we have a youth team.

Welsh's biggest issue on the field since our promotion to the top flight was that he often wanted too much time on the ball, and was regularly robbed of it as a result, often in dangerous areas of the pitch.

He had been much better in that regard in the past few months, and as we all know he's a very reliable passer of the ball. He's even chipped in a couple of goals and assists this season.

Disappointing news.

His contract expires at the end of the season, think he will be kept on?

IF....IF we are in the top six at the end of the season, then there's little reason to release any of the squad who got us there. If we don't end up there, then we can probably look back in regret at another horrendous start to the season (first game excepted) before the players and the management started to get their act together.