Mcghee

twinny

Not sure how good this news is. I would bet that Archie would be on their radar and would offer a significant increase in salary. I would hope that Archie would stay with us as he must be getting some recognition down south, but I am worried about this one.

Archie is under contract along with Shaggy until May 2019. You can dispel your worries on that score DD as they're skint ;)

They also recently reappointed Stephen Robinson as first team coach so I can see him getting the gig until the end of the season.

Not sure how good this news is. I would bet that Archie would be on their radar and would offer a significant increase in salary. I would hope that Archie would stay with us as he must be getting some recognition down south, but I am worried about this one.

Well, we could do a swap. Archie out, McGhee in?

There would be no point in him moving to a fellow Premiership bottom half club. Even with a bigger budget or pay packet, he would be giving up a role where he has stability, a board that trusts him, a board that haven't sacked a manager in one month short of ten years and a rapport with the players and good understanding of their abilities and how to manage them.

As Ian says, when he goes it would most likely only be to an English club.

Archie is under contract along with Shaggy until May 2019. You can dispel your worries on that score DD as they're skint ;)

They also recently reappointed Stephen Robinson as first team coach so I can see him getting the gig until the end of the season.

I might be wrong, but isn't Archie's contract a rolling one (maybe 6 months), so it might cost less than you think to lure him away from Firhill.

Oh Dick!!

Apart from anything else, Motherwell are skint since they went fully fan owned.

I not sure where the presumption of them being able to offer a bigger salary comes from to be honest.

As for Archie leaving for Dundee United, can you honestly blame him? There was a mass exodus that summer and it was pretty clear that none of the players rated Gerry Collins in any way at all, which was totally vindicated.

In their different ways both Moneh and Ian are correct (tho' I don't thing Craigan signed a pre contract).

Playing ifs and buts. If Lambie had treated Archie and Craigan as adults ensuring they were signed up the 2nd season in the SPL they might both have stayed. I could see United still coming in for Archie but at least we'd have got a fee. Craigan I'm sure would've stayed with us, quite possibly for the rest of his career (always assuming of course that we'd be too strong to drop into Div 2). Certainly Motherwell were in no place at the time to go paying transfer fees.

Anyway, longer contracts aside, it's an age old argument whether poor managers or poor players get you relegated. Collins of course made disastrous signings so in our case it was both. We'll never know whether Collins managing a team that included Archie, Hardie, Craigan & Toastie would've been good enough to stay up. We finished 8pts behind Aberdeen that season so hardly insurmountable. Aberdeen of course wouldn't have been relegated but that's a different story.

• Like 1

Collins has never managed a senior team before or since, and his foray into the Junior leagues was equally as disastrous.

I've actually spoken to one of the players involved personally about this. It was very much a combination of only being offered 1 year deals and having absolutely no faith in Collins ability to manage the team on his own that brought about that mass exodus.